Rotochamp v. Rotolab auction draft software - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Rotochamp v. Rotolab auction draft software

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rotochamp v. Rotolab auction draft software

Postby Skyliner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:01 pm

I use the Rotochamp projections because they are updated throughout spring training as roles and lineups change and free agents are signed. The other rating systems are static. One of the nice things about Rotochamp is the ability to tweak the projections yourself.
Skyliner
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beisbol4ever94928 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:47 pm

I prefer rotochamp much more. I've only used each one once a piece though, so small sample sizes.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=453798
beisbol4ever94928
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rockland Don » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Projections are also updated by Roto Lab and are linked to the Baseball HQ service. When using projections it's important to keep in mind that the projected stats may not account for the idiosyncrasies of your league. For example in my home league a 5-category starting pitcher (we use Wins, Net Wins, ERA, WHIP, K's) routinely goes for $10-15less than a 5-category hitter. Makes little sense especially when you consider that we roster 9 pitchers and 12 hitters and therefore a 5-category pitcher has a greater impact on the categories. I like to compare projections and tweak the software as much as possible to confirm to our league standards. It would be helpful if you could access historical values for your league's past auctions to benchmark against.

Don
Rockland Don
T-Ball Trainer

Postby etex211 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:58 am

I got a free 10 day trial from rotowire. I must say that I am not impressed with their draft software. In one of my leagues, keepers are tied to draft picks, and I could never find a way to properly enter the keepers for that league. Also, the software seemed to process changes (draft picks) very slowly.

I've been playing around with rotochamp for about 10 days now. It seems to work very well. I just hope their player projections don't steer me wrong.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 28)

Postby asalerno » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:47 pm

I have been using Fantistics for many years. I play in a deep auction league and the software really helps keep track of inflation by adjusting it's values.

They also do a great job with their projections, last year they recommended Chris Sale and RA Dickey in the late rounds and it paid off pretty well for me.
asalerno
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby allen730877 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Are there any of these type of programs that are free? Or any site where i can customize the rankings because in my league we use QS instead of W's.
allen730877
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jtsandwich » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:03 pm

I have used Fantistics for years and I do like it. It allow you to set it up with 20 some different cat's if you need to. It is easy to navigate through with the ability to lock keepers, changes values all pre-season and a very nice inflation factor throughout the auction process. In addition you can manually change any stats/projections that you want, thus you customize your own rankings. This is very important to me personally as I change the projections of roughly 100 players prior to the auction. It is based on-line, but only for updating projections, so at the draft you are off-line and no issues. Also, you can set your projected %'s you want to spend on bats and pitching and it will recalc based on the %'s you want to spend.

I have thought trying another for the hell of it, but I just keep coming back to Fantistics.
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 104)

Postby Skyliner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:50 pm

RotoChamp has the following categories to choose from;

Hitting -- HR, RBI, SB, R, BA, OBP, SLG, OPS, BB, K, 1B, 2B, 3B, TB, 2B+3B+HR, 2B+3B, H, SB-CS, SB%, CS, HBP, AB, GDP, R+RBI+HR, H+BB

Pitching -- Wins, Saves, ERA, WHIP, K, IP, L, W-L, BB, ER, CG, Shutouts, QS, H, BS, HR, HBP, SV-BS, K/9, K/BB, WPCT, H/9, HR/9, BB/9, SV%, Holds, SV+Holds, K-BB, SV+Holds-BS, 2W-L, 2*SV+Holds-BS
Skyliner
T-Ball Trainer

Postby derbs » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:22 pm

We have only used RotoLab -- but have used it for many years now (seven or so). The great improvement that sold it for me is that it lets me carry over the league's rosters from year to year -- particularly important in three dynasty leagues with 12 to 14 teams and 25 or more players in each. It is important not to have to re-enter the players or data each year. Also used in seven keeper leagues (7-10 keepers each year, 12-17 teams) and don't have to reenter info for the keepers. Also in three ScoreSheet leagues with their often massive rosters and 13 keepers. I am not sure there is any limit to the number of leagues you can track in RotoLab.

The info on players is certainly dynamic thru the spring as RotoLab uses Baseball HQ info, updated every day or two -- and if you like the HQ site, you get the bonus of having their projections organized and kept up to date and a lower price for RotoLab as well. I don't think RotoLab has meaningful updates during the season although HQ keeps the info flowing thru its site.

I am guessing the other programs also make it easy to reset draft orders for live drafts and keep track of who's been taken, who is left, etc. at each position. The positions and settings for each league -- whether to track Holds, K/W, etc. -- are individualized for each league. Every once in a while I find a position not covered. The owner is pretty agreeable about making changes, additions.

I am keeping track of more teams than anyone should -- but would not want to try to be competitive without something like RotoLab and Baseball HQ. As it stands, we expect to be one of the stronger teams in each league. Some of that comes from the value of the projections themselves -- no one is going to get those right all the time but HQ seems to have a reasonable system for providing info.
derbs
T-Ball Trainer

(Past Year: 1)

Postby stealthrunner » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:21 am

Dug up this thread from last year. The post by Dan at the bottom of page 1 was great. I have been using fantistics for years, and I am leaning that way again, but I am curious about other ones. I bought the rotowire Ipad/Iphone app for $5. If nothing else, it will give me something to goof off with at work since a lot of fantasy sites are blocked at work.

I'm in NL Only Auction league.

The thing I love about fantistics besides the draft software is the daily emails I get that tells me how the players did the previous day around the league. And I get weekly emails on Sunday about how to bid on.

Does rotolab or rotochamp have emails that you can get delivered to your inbox daily like described above. Anything new and improved or different for 2014? The demo of fantistics looks the same, solid.
stealthrunner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions