Rotochamp v. Rotolab auction draft software - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Rotochamp v. Rotolab auction draft software

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RedTiger » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:47 pm

I've searched old topics and have found an opinion here, an opinion there, and most threads have no responses.

From my research, a lot of people prefer rotochamp and rotolab. I've downloaded both trials, but since it is a trial I can't really do what I want.

Here is what I'm looking for:

inputting keepers
live calculation of inflation
customizable stat categories (holds for example), positions, budgets
the ability to tweak projections

Which one offers all of these? If both, which one is better overall, and why?

Thank you.
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 34)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rotochamp v. Rotolab auction draft software

Postby Skyliner » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:14 pm

I've used Rotochamp for several years with great results.
For keepers you can 'draft' them ahead of time and proceed from there with the available players. You could also delete the keepers from the database to get a better recalculated dollar value.
When you configure your league settings you can choose from a long list of stats categories.
Individual player stats can be changed so you can choose a projection system then tweak the stats as you please.
The best feature of Rotochamp is that the projections are dynamic - updated daily based on new information on players roles, trades, demotions, etc.
Skyliner
T-Ball Trainer

Postby americanleagueroto » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:45 pm

I've never used Rotolab, but I can say Rotochamp is one of the best products I've ever come across.

;-D ;-D ;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ManagersDecision » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:21 pm

I've used Rotolab for about 5-6 years and it works very well, I won both my aucton leagues last year and have 5 wins in the last 15 leagues so I'm sticking with it. I just downloaded Rotochamp and checked it out to comment here and it looks decent. Checking versions it looks like Rotochamp is in it's 4th year and Rotolab is in it's 12th. That makes sense since rotolab seems more streamlined and logical to me but i am bias. Rotochamp also costs half as much so that's a factor. I'd say you'd probably like both and don't forget two of the biggest benefits to draft software are organization and getting to a quicker decision since you have everything in front of you. If you don't mind the extra cost go with Rotolab but if you're not sure go with Rotochamp and then switch next year if you want. Good luck!
ManagersDecision
T-Ball Trainer

Postby mr anderson... » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:54 am

RedTiger wrote:I've searched old topics and have found an opinion here, an opinion there, and most threads have no responses.

From my research, a lot of people prefer rotochamp and rotolab. I've downloaded both trials, but since it is a trial I can't really do what I want.

Here is what I'm looking for:

inputting keepers
live calculation of inflation
customizable stat categories (holds for example), positions, budgets
the ability to tweak projections

Which one offers all of these? If both, which one is better overall, and why?

Thank you.

you could check out what i've put together - it does everything you are asking about and is free (and can use rotochamps projections currently and im still adding others)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixcc3ixnjwot3 ... -2013.xlsx

I will also be adding the ability to set a priority for each of the custom stats. meaning if you want to value holds a lot less than home runs or strikeouts because it is a more volatile stat, you can change this on the setup page and the the results will reflect. I'll probably do this on monday so you cant see those changes just yet, but you are able to check for updates in the spreadsheet itself to get links for new versions when they come.
mr anderson...
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby etex211 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 am

I just found this thread doing a search for draft software. I am looking for something that I can use in multiple leagues to support both auctions and drafts. I've been looking at the demos for both rotolab and rotochamps, and I've also looked at the screen shots (couldn't find demos) for rotowire and fantistics.

I guess at this point, I am confused. On this thread, there seems to be a lot of thumbs up for rotochamps. I've been having this same discussion with one of my buddies. He has used fantistics before, and has decided to use it again this year.

I am just looking for any more input anybody can give. My main objective is to find something that can help me during the draft or auction. I want to be able to enter players to the teams in the league on the fly and have the software adjust it's recommendations accordingly. Ease of use is a big factor.

The three leagues I will be participating in this year are:

AL only roto auction
NL only head to head auction
Mixed roto draft

Any additional input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)

Postby EnosSlaughter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 pm

I've only used Rotolab, so I can't comment on the others. I've used rotolab for 5 years now and its been great. For your purposes I think it would work well as you can setup multiple leagues (maybe unlimited). I currently have 3 versions of my current league setup with different keeper forecasts, so I know it handles atleast 3 leagues.. Each league is 100% unique from another in regards to players, rules, inflation, etc.

The organization and speed in identifying necessary info has been huge during the draft.
EnosSlaughter
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Rockland Don » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:45 am

I am the founder and Commissioner of one of the oldest continuing Roto Baseball leagues as we start our 33rd season. Our average participant has about 25 plus years experience and we started in the pre- PC area if you can imagine that. That said we are always striving to improve the league (6x6 RotoAuction) and the Auction/Draft Day experience - undoubtedly one of the best days of the year.

Through the years, I have used virtually every Software programs and/or auction/draft worksheet and can give you my opinion on 3 of my favorites, including a newcomer that was just released for the iPad.

Roto Lab, Diamond Draft and Roto Champ and the RotoWire Fantasy Draft 2013 application. All of these programs are easy to use and navigate and customizable to various categories and league rules.

Roto Lab is a very detailed program and uses projections from Ron Shandler's Baseball HQ and also provides a discount to Baseball HQ members. There are few bugs and constant updates and the customer service and response time is great. It is a very powerful program that assist you in the your pre-work and auction. You can set target goals, view individual team and league rosters and very customizable. If you are a follower of Baseball HQ this may be the way to go. Don't be overwhelmed by the wealth of information provided. Practice using it well before Draft Day.

Diamond Draft is a very nice less expensive alternative selling around $20. Very easy and of course customizable. A nice feature is is the team by team depth chart and easy navigation. I have tended to use Diamond Draft during the actual auction due to its easy navigation.

Roto Champ is another program is user friendly and very customizable. Since we've been around so long, some of our rules are positions are "unique" and Roto Champ is flexible enough to handle them. The program is easy to navigate and provides the information you need. Also, the price is very reasonable. Intend to rely more on Roto Champ this year and have our auction statistician project the software on the screen.

Now for the newcomer from Roto Wire. Although Roto Wire has provided free draft software for several years, it's new iPad release is nothing short of amazing. The price is an incredible $4.99 and even includes a free iPhone version that automatically syncs up to your phone through the cloud. It is amazingly flexible, detailed and most importantly you can use all of its features without being tethered to a PC or with a live Internet connection. This is a must and this year I am seriously considering leaving the lap top at home for the draft and relying on the jPad. Don't know if I have the willpower, but I'm going to try.

In summary, you can't go wrong with any of the above PC programs. Each program is best in class and what's right for you and your league depends on your own needs. My recommendations revolve around the below top 10 considerations:

1. How easy to navigate during the actual draft
2. How customizable to league rules
3. Ability to sort stats on the fly
4. Ability to keep track of dollars spent and left and maximum bids
5. Reasonableness of the projections
6. Ability to track players selected, remaining and updated stats and standings during the actual auction/draft.qq
7. Historical stats of players
8. Does it crash or hang up?
9. Customer Service and of course
10. Price

I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible as searching for the perfect software aid has been a passion of mine since the early 80's. Let me know if you have any questions. Pleased to help.

Rockland Don
Rockland Don
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Mikeyc » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:36 pm

No need to apologize great post. I second the rotowire iPad/iPhone app it is pretty awesome. Only other one ive used is rotochamp and would recommend that as well as a solid option.
Mikeyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby etex211 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:43 am

I pulled the trigger on Rotochamp yesterday. I've already started preparing for my draft using their projection system.

I am wondering if the other Rotochamp users are using the Rotochamp projection system, or the composite projection system, or something else?

Thanks.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions