Return of a Drew (there it is!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Return of a Drew (there it is!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Return of a Drew (there it is!)

Postby jeffmerk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:44 pm

hochunk5 wrote:
Stephen Drew is a placeholder in every sense of the word. He doesn't do anything except exist. One can't even wave the OPS flag with him in the lineup. Aside from succeeding as being a warm body, I don't know where $9.5 million is deserved aside from just having to spend money somewhere. Just another guy, nothing more or less. At least it was only one year.

Sort of makes me wish i could even remotely swing a bat or throw a ball. Look at who the A's signed at SS too, a .300 hitter with more upside and probably are paying less for it.

Other than Ichiro and Godzilla, the majority of Japanese hitters that came over to MLB have been huge disappointments.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Element » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 pm

jeffmerk wrote:
hochunk5 wrote:
Stephen Drew is a placeholder in every sense of the word. He doesn't do anything except exist. One can't even wave the OPS flag with him in the lineup. Aside from succeeding as being a warm body, I don't know where $9.5 million is deserved aside from just having to spend money somewhere. Just another guy, nothing more or less. At least it was only one year.

Sort of makes me wish i could even remotely swing a bat or throw a ball. Look at who the A's signed at SS too, a .300 hitter with more upside and probably are paying less for it.

Other than Ichiro and Godzilla, the majority of Japanese hitters that came over to MLB have been huge disappointments.

Aoki more than held his own last year.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby jeffmerk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Element wrote:
jeffmerk wrote:
hochunk5 wrote:

True, but not much was expected of him. He entered the season as a bench player.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 90)

Postby hochunk5 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:21 pm

jeffmerk wrote:
Element wrote:
jeffmerk wrote:Other than Ichiro and Godzilla, the majority of Japanese hitters that came over to MLB have been huge disappointments.

True, but not much was expected of him. He entered the season as a bench player.

Aoki and Nakajima are similar players too...both high contact hitters with minimal power. As long as Oakland just wants him to be a table setter he should fit perfectly there.
hochunk5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MrT » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Who cares whether Boston overpaid. Drew will be just fine in Boston. If he hits 270 15 hr 70 rbi 80 r and steals 8 he will meet Boston's expectaions and is certainly worth a few bucks in an auction league
MrT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 39)

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 pm

It is really tough to overpay on a one year deal. Hopefully this turns out a la Adrian Beltre a couple of years back. If not, Bogaerts is waiting in the wings for next year.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby stevethumb » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:13 am

MrT wrote:Who cares whether Boston overpaid. Drew will be just fine in Boston. If he hits 270 15 hr 70 rbi 80 r and steals 8 he will meet Boston's expectaions and is certainly worth a few bucks in an auction league

well since in the last 5 years he has never knocked in more than 67 in a year I can say that 70 ribbies is very doubtful...he has hit more than 15 Hrs once in 5 years ..and his total SBs in 4 of the past 5 years is 13 ..the last 2 years combined he has 86 runs scored..AND his BA in the last 4 years is .252 in 1747 ABs

It is doubtful that he will reach any of your categories' #s

He is an overpayment by any metric and I haven't even totaled his at his DL days in the last 3 years
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ayebatter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:34 pm

MrT wrote:Who cares whether Boston overpaid. Drew will be just fine in Boston. If he hits 270 15 hr 70 rbi 80 r and steals 8 he will meet Boston's expectaions and is certainly worth a few bucks in an auction league

It's more than likely you'll have to divide those numbers by 2. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1390)

Postby Izenhart » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:48 pm

ayebatter wrote:

It's more than likely you'll have to divide those numbers by 2. ;-)

I think Boston sees a guy who is under achieving and at his age could still put it together in the right scenario. Boston will probably be a good fit, and if he stays healthy and focused there's a good chance he puts up career numbers. If you truly believe a $2 gamble is too much, then fine. He could be a $7-$10 if things break right, and where he will probably be picked in drafts I see him as one of the better potential values at a terribly thin position.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers