Return of a Drew (there it is!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Return of a Drew (there it is!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Return of a Drew (there it is!)

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:17 am

Hey, I like that "Return of the Mack" song and thought, well, if the Red Sox are going to sign another Drew then it may be best to disguise the signing with a shmoove soundtrack than dwell on an impending brotherly disappointment.

Rotoworld:
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Red Sox have signed Stephen Drew to a one-year, $9.5 million contract.

He'll have a chance to make it an even $10 million if he hits his incentives. The Red Sox had publicly expressed confidence in Jose Iglesias as their starter at shortstop, but obviously they weren't prepared to commit to the all-glove, no-hit youngster. Drew will serve as a one-year stopgap before top prospect Xander Bogaerts is ready to take over. A one-year deal was probably the best course to take this winter for Drew, who will try to rebuild his value before hitting free agency again next offseason. He's a pretty decent rebound candidate.

Stephen Drew is a placeholder in every sense of the word. He doesn't do anything except exist. One can't even wave the OPS flag with him in the lineup. Aside from succeeding as being a warm body, I don't know where $9.5 million is deserved aside from just having to spend money somewhere. Just another guy, nothing more or less. At least it was only one year.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Return of a Drew (there it is!)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:50 am

wow, $9.5M?? For a guy that's been injured and completely ineffective for the past 2 years? He'll be getting almost $11M if you include the buyout from Oakland. I almost want to get mad at Boston for enabling Boras. But hey, if these are the types of moves they're going to make, then that's one less threat in the division.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby J35J » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Skin Blues wrote:wow, $9.5M?? For a guy that's been injured and completely ineffective for the past 2 years? He'll be getting almost $11M if you include the buyout from Oakland. I almost want to get mad at Boston for enabling Boras. But hey, if these are the types of moves they're going to make, then that's one less threat in the division.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I can't believe how high salaries are going...I know we keep saying that but every new signing just makes you shake your head all over again.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:54 pm

So why do teams, even ones with money available, feel the need to spend it? Why not just go with Iglesias and see what he can do? Even if he stinks, who cares? Save the $9.5 million for, I dunno, clubhouse repairs or medical staff raises etc. Why just give a shlub money?
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Not a huge fan of Drew, but its the Red Sox biding their time until Xander Bogearts is ready. A one year deal for the best shortstop available makes sense.
Last edited by thedude on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Element » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:21 pm

thedude wrote:Not a huge fan of Drew, but its the Red Sox biding their time until Xander Bogearts is ready. A one year deal for best shortstop available makes sense.

Agreed. I don't like the salary, but the years is the important piece. If you have it in the budget, why not? He's a clear upgrade over the youngster.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 713)

Postby bayside » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:49 am

I think Drew immediately becomes one of the leagues most likely trade candidates assuming the Red Sox are not contending in July.
There is always always always a team that needs a SS.
Good way to stock up the farm.
Then Boston gets to see what they have in Igesias as well.
Good move imo.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:08 am

Surprised it took almost $10 million to sign him. Who were the Red Sox bidding against?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby hochunk5 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Stephen Drew is a placeholder in every sense of the word. He doesn't do anything except exist. One can't even wave the OPS flag with him in the lineup. Aside from succeeding as being a warm body, I don't know where $9.5 million is deserved aside from just having to spend money somewhere. Just another guy, nothing more or less. At least it was only one year.

Sort of makes me wish i could even remotely swing a bat or throw a ball. Look at who the A's signed at SS too, a .300 hitter with more upside and probably are paying less for it.
hochunk5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:12 pm

hochunk5 wrote:Sort of makes me wish i could even remotely swing a bat or throw a ball. Look at who the A's signed at SS too, a .300 hitter with more upside and probably are paying less for it.

They are paying less, but there are real defensive concerns around Nakajima and his range at short. It is also far from certain the Nakajima will hit .300. Drew (when healthy) has been a .800 OPS player. Of course, there are concerns about his defense as well.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers