Have to cut keepers down to 6, thoughts? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Have to cut keepers down to 6, thoughts? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Have to cut keepers down to 6, thoughts? WHIR

Postby converge241 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 am

At start of the offseason we cut down to 10, then cut to either 5/6 (each teams option on which) before the draft.

I have already traded one of the 10 away for an extra draft pick, here are the 9 remaining and their draft round cost to keep:
Miguel Cabrera -1
Josh Hamilton - 1
Cole Hamels - 1
Matt Holliday - 2
Cliff Lee - 5
Ian Desmond - 16
Adam Wainwright - 19
Kris Medlen - 21
Mike Napoli - 25

So have to lose 3 of those names over the course of offseason either via trade or outright cut. I have already started to receive a lot of trade interest on Hamilton since yesterday BUT the trading negotations are hard because other teams would ahve to trade a pick to me AND then use their high draft pick to cover his cost to keep. I have gotten offers of 13th rd, 10th rd, and one team is "debating an 8th rounder" for him. I prefer to move Hamels over Hamilton but that market has been all my outreach with not much success (because again he costs a lot to keep - much like in real MLB you have to trade something of value to obtain a player and then cover his "salary"). Because of the compensation system it would be near impossible to keep three players of 1st round cost so one of Hamilton or Hamels HAS to go, even if I just let them walk or take pennies on the dollar in trade.

This is a 15 team unlimited year keeper standard 5x5 roto scoring and because of all the keepers the guys taken in the 1st round arent exactly "1st round guys" if you get my drift.

Some names from past two years first round for those who had open picks: ubaldo, uggla, corey hart, gardner, victorino, youk, ethier
Basically the 1st round post all the keepers is somewhat like a 6th round type talent level
2nd round usually a lot of closers and role guys
eventually the drfat evens out and has similar results as a standard redraft draft talent level around round 9-10 or so.

Thanks for your thoughts.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Have to cut keepers down to 6, thoughts? WHIR

Postby MaudDib » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:02 am

Sounds like there is a lot going on in this league then just what round you give up to keep a guy. First thought would be to let Hamels, Lee and Holliday go as they aren't as good a deal as your later round guys. As for the Hamilton trade, I have no idea if that is a good value for him. Another option is to try and sell Medlen or Napoli for quality draft picks. They are good values and could net you something very good in return.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby fast dogs » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:30 am

Miggy Hamilton Desmond Wainwright seem like sure things & Medlen if you don't get any other deals done. Not sure if you'll get respectable offers for the other 3 stars in this format or not. I wouldn't want to trade Hamilton then keep Hamels for whats being offered
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)

Postby Nuclear29 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:25 pm

What is your draft position? Maybe keep Miggy and the last 5 guys on your list and throw Hamilton back in the pool with idea of drafting him.
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Mike Napoli - 25 C
Ian Desmond SS - 16
Miguel Cabrera 3b - 1
Josh Hamilton OF - 1
Adam Wainwright - 19 SP
Kris Medlen - 21 SP

Keep these 6 if you ask me, Napoli might hit between 235/250 but that 25-30 power from catcher in the last rounds I'll take it. Wano is a potential ace in the later rounds (you have to keep him) Hamilton is a good keep for THIS year, Miggy Cab (obviously), Desmond is a productive SS with great value. Hamels in the first bleh. CLiff Lee (starting to regress a bit) - little high might keep him over Napoli if you are THAT worried about pitching... Medlen in the 21st you HAVE to keep him.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1936)

Postby converge241 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Nuclear29 wrote:What is your draft position? Maybe keep Miggy and the last 5 guys on your list and throw Hamilton back in the pool with idea of drafting him.

I draft 14th every round, and where we have 15 teams keeping 5 or 6 guys no one like miggy will be in the pool. I get your suggestion though, if I did poorly and was drafting higher I could slide him through. Appreciate the feedback and suggestion!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

Postby converge241 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:38 pm

Also I traded Hamilton for a 7th, so that gives me the extra 7 and opens up the draft pick slot that Hamilton "lived" in.

Once i got an owner to go up past 9th and 8th rd I just took it
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions