Chris Sale's dynasty league trade value - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Chris Sale's dynasty league trade value

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris Sale's dynasty league trade value

Postby bayside » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:57 am

20 team H2H dynasty league.
25 man MLB rosters + 15 man Milb rosters. So its pretty deep.
$120 Cap.

I have Chris Sale on a 2-year at $3/yr contract (for 2013 + 2014).
Im trying to get a feel for what trade value should be like.

To get an idea of how the league values players, in the Free Agent Auction this year, this is what some players were paid (price is PER YEAR):
Kershaw $20/5 yrs
Verlander $18.5/2 yrs
CC - 15.5/2 yrs
Halladay $12/2yrs
Kuroda $7.5/1 yr
Johan Santana $3/2 yrs
Volquez $3/2 yrs
Westbrook $1.75 /1 yr
==========================
HITTERS:
==========================
Braun $22.5/2
Cano $22.5/3
Kemp $19/3
AGonz $15.75/4
Fielder $15.75/3
Tulo$15/3
Pedroia $15/3
Hanley $12.75/2

so elite FA pitching talent cost 5-6 times as much as Sale's contract. What kind of return should I expect in a 1 for 1?
For example is a 1$/5yr Profar or Bundy too much to ask for?
Hamilton at $12/1yr?
Kinsler at $12/1yr? ( <== i have been offered this one)
What about a $8/2yr Holliday or Zobrist? Too little? Too much?

Or just give me any player and a hypothetical contact that you feel would be equally as valuable as Sale at $3/2yr
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chris Sale's dynasty league trade value

Postby MaudDib » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:05 am

I like the Profar idea and might offer that up. Kinsler is ok but he doesn't have a great price so it seems like it would only be good if you are in a win it now mode. Hamilton is a little better value but with because of his injury history, I would stay away. Think I would look for something else than Holliday or Zobrist.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:08 pm

With a $120 cap, the margins are going to be razor-thin; you really have to make every dollar count. A top pitcher on a great contract, even if it isn't long-term, would be pretty damn valuable. I would explore the Profar trade, but Sale is a real asset so don't give him up too easily.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Element » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:58 pm

The only way to know for sure is to dangle him out there and see what owners are willing to spend. You don't really have any need to trade him at that cost unless you get blown away with an offer. I could see capitalizing on an owner looking to get younger. If he owner Holliday at that cost then perhaps Sale would look good to him. You may need to sweeten that one a bit, but if you're a contender and need to add a big bat that would be the type of deal that I would be looking to do.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 793)

Postby BaseballProf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:18 pm

I agree with Element in that you won't know until you put him out there, but if you're getting Sale for the price of Volquez and Santana and HALF the price of Kuroda, you'd better be getting something pretty valuable in return, especially since you have him locked up for two years. I think I'd only entertain one of two kinds of trades:

1. The Profar idea you mentioned, i.e. young stud with great potential at cheap money for several years
2. The Kinsler idea you mentioned, i.e. a top-tier talent that will put you over the top this year. This one depends on who else is on your team and how close you think you are to a championship.

I don't know the other members in your league obviously, but I'd be willing to trade away an expensive piece for Sale on a cheap, 2-year deal, so my guess is he could fetch a lot. Try pitching to people that his numbers were identical to Cole Hamels' last year!
BaseballProf.com (noun) - A comprehensive fantasy baseball site, often used by people who want to win fantasy championships.

Example: Dude, I totally won my league thanks to BaseballProf.com.
BaseballProf
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 63)

Postby bayside » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:47 am

Thanks for the replies so far guys. All of them are well thought out and helpful.
The Profar/Bundy owner thought I was asking for too much so looks like that idea is out. He just doesnt value SP as much as I do I suppose.
The Kinsler trade is still on the table and there would have to be a few addtional pieces on each side to make it work (Cap space and roster size considerations)

I inherited the team this offseason and feel like it is very strong, perhaps top 5 in the league. This team went to the Championship match last year.
Lots of very cheap SP:
Morrow $3.5/3, Johan Santana $3/2, EJax $3/2. E Santana $2/1, Samardj $1/1, Iwakuma $1/1, Vargas $1/1
For bats I started with Morneau, Beltre, Cruz, and Castro at or below market value, added Kemp + Fielder via FA auction, and traded away a huge albatross Romero contract for a slightly overpaid Victorino to round out my OF. I also have D'arnaud on my MiLB roster so really a couple months of C and 2B are my only question marks (KJohnson and Everth Cabrera currently for 2B).

So do you think Kinsler could put this team over the top? And I suppose more importantly, is Sale expendable?
I really really fear a major injury to Sale is imminent, and hes currently at the peak of his value, which is why im trying to trade him now fwiw.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:55 am

My lineup in a more viewable format (BOLD = projected starters):
C - Soto, D'Arnaud
1B - Fielder
2B - KJohnson, E Cabrera
3B - Beltre, Nunez
SS - Castro
OF - Kemp, Cruz, Victorino, Cuddyer, Venable, Rajai Davis, Grady Sizemore
UT - Morneau
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BaseballProf » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:21 am

I think your offense is noticeably stronger than your pitching staff so I would not trade Sale for Kinsler. Given that it's a 20-team league, I'm impressed that you have a top 5 1B, top 5 3B, a top 5 OF in Kemp (when healthy), and a top 5 SS in Castro. In a league this deep Kelly Johnson is more than serviceable, and he'll give you good pop to go with Cabrera's speed. Don't make the Kinsler trade.
BaseballProf.com (noun) - A comprehensive fantasy baseball site, often used by people who want to win fantasy championships.

Example: Dude, I totally won my league thanks to BaseballProf.com.
BaseballProf
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 63)

Postby bayside » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:44 am

ya thats good point that KJ is a decent option, but right now he doesnt even have a job. If he signs as a starting 2b with a team that has a strong lineup or good hitters park I would be much more likely to stand pat.

But Im still worried about Sale's health
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:20 pm

You seem to have enough power anyway I'd run Cabrera out there you need the speed.
In NO WAY do I deal Sale at that price for those years. Not with your staff the way it is and not with the lack of pitching available to you as well. Profar is the only one of those deals I'd even consider the rest I'd just laugh at.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2090)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions