James Shields to KC? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

James Shields to KC?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

James Shields to KC?

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:37 pm

This has been a fun thread. Have steroids been brought up yet?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: James Shields to KC?

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:38 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:This has been a fun thread. Have steroids been brought up yet?

James Shields' velocity ticked up by over a MPH last season at the age of 30. Could be steroids.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby jcook3127 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:53 pm

I don't see how a logical analysis would lead anybody to believe Shields moving to Kansas City will be a detriment to his statistical output. I'm not even going to use a shred of evidence to back up that statement. I am going to let it stand alone because to defend it would be to entertain the idea that it could be minutely inaccurate in any way. So I leave you with that. Draft Shields in the middle rounds and prosper. Or if you don't like him, draft Garza. If you don't like either, wait a bit and draft Haren. If you miss on all three, you will probably be fine. 68 days till pitchers and catchers report!!
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:26 pm

jcook3127 wrote:I don't see how a logical analysis would lead anybody to believe Shields moving to Kansas City will be a detriment to his statistical output. I'm not even going to use a shred of evidence to back up that statement. I am going to let it stand alone because to defend it would be to entertain the idea that it could be minutely inaccurate in any way. So I leave you with that. Draft Shields in the middle rounds and prosper. Or if you don't like him, draft Garza. If you don't like either, wait a bit and draft Haren. If you miss on all three, you will probably be fine. 68 days till pitchers and catchers report!!

Sounds like this could be of use for someone like yourself: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... d-divisio/
Last edited by mweir145 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:28 pm

mweir145 wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:This has been a fun thread. Have steroids been brought up yet?

James Shields' velocity ticked up by over a MPH last season at the age of 30. Could be steroids.

Even if it ticks back down, 8+ K/9 still likely, and I still want him on my team if his value is falling like it appears to be.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:32 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Even if it ticks back down, 8+ K/9 still likely, and I still want him on my team if his value is falling like it appears to be.

He might lose a few wins, but I'll always take Shields on my fantasy team. It's generally pretty a pretty good experience except for the random blowup games he has against teams like the Mariners. That'll frustrate you.

The real question is what to make of Brandon Morrow for 2013. It's almost like he made an active effort to get more GBs last season and pitch to contact (and it led to a much lower ERA). You ever going to accept him back?
Last edited by mweir145 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 pm

mweir145 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
mweir145 wrote:James Shields' velocity ticked up by over a MPH last season at the age of 30. Could be steroids.

He might lose a few wins, but I'll always take Shields on my fantasy team. It's generally pretty a pretty good experience except for the random blowup games he has against teams like the Mariners. That'll frustrate you.

The real question is what to make of Brandon Morrow for 2013.
The good news for me is the team I traded to is keeping him, so I don't have to worry about drafting him in 2013. Expect big things.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:37 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Even if it ticks back down, 8+ K/9 still likely, and I still want him on my team if his value is falling like it appears to be.

The good news for me is the team I traded to is keeping him, so I don't have to worry about drafting him in 2013. Expect big things.

I don't know what to think any more with him. Peripherals got worse (except GB% and LOB%...the two things that were killing him) and his ERA got better. He was like an entirely different guy in 2012.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

James Shields to KC?

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:10 pm

mweir145 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
mweir145 wrote:He might lose a few wins, but I'll always take Shields on my fantasy team. It's generally pretty a pretty good experience except for the random blowup games he has against teams like the Mariners. That'll frustrate you.

I don't know what to think any more with him. Peripherals got worse (except GB% and LOB%...the two things that were killing him) and his ERA got better. He was like an entirely different guy in 2012.

Umm... He's Brandon morrow. You never know what to expect on any given game against any team. Nothing he ever does makes any sense. Ever.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:The good news for me is the team I traded to is keeping him, so I don't have to worry about drafting him in 2013. Expect big things.

Umm... He's Brandon morrow. You never know what to expect on any given game against any team. Nothing he ever does makes any sense. Ever.

Pretty much. From start to start last year, he'd vary between what I began calling new Morrow (lower Ks, more GBs, superior control) and old Morrow (high Ks, few GBs, less control). Does that make him consistently inconsistent? :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers