James Shields to KC? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

James Shields to KC?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: James Shields to KC?

Postby mweir145 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:51 am

Shields is better than Lester, especially if you're trying to win in the short-term (which apparently the Royals are now).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JRM4833 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 am

mweir145 wrote:Shields is better than Lester, especially if you're trying to win in the short-term (which apparently the Royals are now).

That's debatable. Raw stats don't tell the full story, as Shields has had the benefit of playing in the Trop, among the top ten pitchers parks in MLB, while Lester has played in Fenway, one of the top five hitters parks in MLB. Lester is younger and a lefty, while Shields has been overrworked and a definite concern for an injury, having pitched 476+ innings in the last two years. But it's much easier to bring in Shields than Lester after the awful year Lester had. That said, I'm not sure KC fans can be thrilled with the take they got for Myers, Odorizzi, Montgomory and Leonord.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:17 am

JRM4833 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Shields is better than Lester, especially if you're trying to win in the short-term (which apparently the Royals are now).

That's debatable. Raw stats don't tell the full story, as Shields has had the benefit of playing in the Trop, among the top ten pitchers parks in MLB, while Lester has played in Fenway, one of the top five hitters parks in MLB. Lester is younger and a lefty, while Shields has been overrworked and a definite concern for an injury, having pitched 476+ innings in the last two years. But it's much easier to bring in Shields than Lester after the awful year Lester had. That said, I'm not sure KC fans can be thrilled with the take they got for Myers, Odorizzi, Montgomory and Leonord.

Aware of all of this, there's a reason I've been one of Lester's biggest backers for many years now. But I'm not betting the farm on Jon Lester after the season he had last year, not when Shields is there and has had seasons like the last two. Not that I would have necessarily bet the farm on anybody if I was in their position.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:34 am

Screw Dayton Moore and screw this team!
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JRM4833 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:57 am

mweir145 wrote:
JRM4833 wrote:

Aware of all of this, there's a reason I've been one of Lester's biggest backers for many years now. But I'm not betting the farm on Jon Lester after the season he had last year, not when Shields is there and has had seasons like the last two. Not that I would have necessarily bet the farm on anybody if I was in their position.

Yeah, I think Shields is safer. I just still think Lester has a higher ceiling, but I'm a lot less convinced he'll reach his ceiling and he will never be an innings eater like Shields.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

James Shields to KC?

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:20 pm

What in the h-e-doublehockeysticks is Kansas City thinking?!? They've worked so hard to build the crop of young talent and now they're just going to dismantle it for James shields? Why in god's name did the give up Ordozzi too? If Wil Myers is what we've all been led to believe he is (the best hitting prospect in baseball), then he is worth way more than Shields. And I will concede that shields is a top 10 pitcher in baseball.

KC is probably assuming that mustakas is going to have a monster breakout year this year and they want to make sure that they have a capable stable of arms to go with the bats, but there has to be a less costly way of accomplishing that than doing this.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Shields is indeed better than Lester, but this is just hilariously awful for the Royals. As if anybody wondered why they've been so bad for so long. I guess they're happy with Jeff Francouer in RF instead of the top prospect in baseball. Makes the dozens of millions of dollars they spent on bad pitchers (Santana, Hochevar, Guthrie) all the more questionable.

Happy 22nd Birthday, Wil Myers. I don't know what's worse; playing for a horrible team with a lot of angry fans, or playing on the best run organization in baseball with no fans at all. I'd go with the latter.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby kab21 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:And the Rays trade an above average, reliable, innings eater for prospects. The prospects are good but none of them look major league ready. Why make this move when the AL East is wide open to everyone but Boston? Worst case scenario for the Rays is they are out of contention and Shields gets moved at the All-Star break for similar prospects (barring injury of course).

This analysis is awful. The Rays still have a deep rotation and they freed up money to pick up an offensive player. I'm not sure how Myers and Odorizzi aren't MLB ready. Imo this is exactly what the Rays needed to balance out their team.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:12 pm

kab21 wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:And the Rays trade an above average, reliable, innings eater for prospects. The prospects are good but none of them look major league ready. Why make this move when the AL East is wide open to everyone but Boston? Worst case scenario for the Rays is they are out of contention and Shields gets moved at the All-Star break for similar prospects (barring injury of course).

This analysis is awful. The Rays still have a deep rotation and they freed up money to pick up an offensive player. I'm not sure how Myers and Odorizzi aren't MLB ready. Imo this is exactly what the Rays needed to balance out their team.

I agree, and the point you made about freeing up money is really important. Despite the fact that I think this trade is good for the Rays no matter what, you can't look at it in a vacuum. It's definitely possible that this isn't their end game, and that they can now sign someone who would not have otherwise been an option.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Yeah, Myers and Odorizzi are the definition of MLB ready prospects. Doesn't mean they'll start in the majors because Tampa may want to pause the arbitration/FA clock for another year. They didn't even take a step back talent-wise with this deal while still allowing themselves to remain contenders for the next 5 years with Longoria, Zobrist, Price, Myers, Odorizzi, Moore, Jennings, I'm sure I'm missing a few... yikes.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers