And the winner is? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

And the winner is?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

And the winner is?

Postby Surfs up » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Hosmer or Moustakas ? Both 5.00 in my AL only. I posted in another topic about trading Moustakas. Not somebody that has Hosmer wants to trade him to me for MM. Both can be extended for 5.00 per year but it has to be done before the draft and can only be done once. I just picked up Jeff Keppinger who is 8.00 . He qualifies at third, short and second. So technically I could be set at third base. Or see what I can do at the draft and maybe move Kepp to another spot. Thoughts?
12 team, 5x5 standard scoring. we keep 8 players.260.00 cap at draft.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: And the winner is?

Postby kaiser » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:31 am

Moose. More power. More RBI. Better AVG. Hosmer gives you more SB, and runs are close to even, but Moose helps you more in every other cat. Less talent available at 3B than 1B, too.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Element » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:28 pm

I like Hosmer more as a player (especially if he figures out how to beat the shift), but do you really need him? 3B is a tough position to fill & I would hardly feel comfortable all season with Jeff Keppinger as my daily option. It would depend on team needs.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 762)

Postby Surfs up » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:44 pm

I wasn't planning on playing Keppinger at third. Maybe second or even MI. For 8.00 and seeing what my league mates are playing for those positions its hard not to keep him. Plus if I get lucky and land a solid second baseman I can put Keppinger at my Utl. spot. I do have Erick Aybar at short. He's 15.00 but I think hes worth it given he steals and hits for a very respectable average. I may even be able to pull off a trade to get Hosmer with giving up Moustakas. He's 0nly 5.00 . Its early but its possible I could extend him a yr making him 10.00 but a keeper for two yrs. Once extended players cannot be dropped with paying 25.00 in real money to the league.Unless he goes to the NL . He can be traded without penalty.
Thanks for your help. ;-D
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MaudDib » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 am

kaiser wrote:Moose. More power. More RBI. Better AVG. Hosmer gives you more SB, and runs are close to even, but Moose helps you more in every other cat. Less talent available at 3B than 1B, too.

Not sure I agree with all of that. Hosmer has shown better plate discipline that should lead to a better AVG. RBI are too fluky and both have the talent to lead their team in RBI. Moose has more power but not by much. Both could be 30+ HR guys.

I would take Hosmer here. I think he is a perennial top 15 hitter where Moose will likely be a top 30 guy just never quite getting into the top 10.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:11 am

I like moose at 3b to give you solid production (think Hank Blaylock in his productive years). 263/26/105 type of seasons. If you can get Moose w/o giving up Hosmer or whatever the other way around then do that.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1950)

Postby Surfs up » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:07 am

I have MM. He has offered me Hosmer ( 5 ) , Reed ( 2 ) and his 16th pick . The picks are selected after the main draft. They can be used on a minor leaguer or any remaining major leaguers. But not much left to pick from after the draft with 12 teams and 23 man rosters in a AL only. One catcher league.260.00 5x5 standard scoring.
He wants MM (5 ) and Pierzynski ( 2 ). I just think AJ value just shot up signing with the Rangers. At least i know he won't kill my average and I won't have to pay 20-25 to get Mauer or Napoli. Weiters went for 17.00 last year.
I have two closers already for 2.00 total.
I would consider extending MM contract by one year making him 10.00 and keeping him two years whereas I might not extend Hosmer. More Thoughts?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:08 am

Is that Addison Reed?

I like Hosmer, higher ceiling imo.
And AJ won't hit 27 hrs again.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Skimo77 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:19 am

I like Moose here too... only because of his position. Who would be your backup plan at 3rd, and who would be your backup plan at 1st? I'm pretty sure your 2nd choice 1st basemen will be the better player because 3rd base is very shallow.
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby Surfs up » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:37 am

Yes its Addison Reed. That would give me three closers for 4.00. I was planning on putting a one year extention on MM making him 10.00. I just looked at whats avalible at third base right now. Of course a few players will get throw back and aren't avalible right now. But my league mates pay more for the top players.
Beltre went for 31. 00 , Fielder 49.00, Miggy 50.00. Thats a general idea.
I also don't expect AJ to hit 27 hrs again but looking at his average for the last three years hes has been very consistant . Hitting 15 hrs, 60 rbi , batting average of .277 and playing 131 games. To get those kinds of numbers I'm looking at Mauer but playing probably 25.00. Napoli went for 20.00.Even Arod went for 34.00 last year.
If I could get a good third baseman at the draft I would slot Keppinger there. I think playing ful time will help him . Plus nice ballpark to hit in. If I wait till the end of the draft I'll end up with junk and pay for it. Keppinger for 8.00 could be a deal.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions