Dodgers About to Get STUPID Rich - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dodgers About to Get STUPID Rich

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dodgers About to Get STUPID Rich

Postby jfg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:15 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
The TV stations will try to negotiate a larger monthly fee. If things don't go well they will make a PR campaign that you won't be able to watch the Dodgers on XYZ cable/satellite provider. It happens all the time.

Yep. Sports are why satellite and cable TV costs so much. Somebody mentioned earlier that people aren't going to subsidize sports anymore and disconnect but I doubt a large number will do so. Plus, there's no way local teams are coming through your computer/Apple TV/gaming system EVER without a satellite/cable/future model subscription. The league would have to agree to that and obviously that's not happening. Even if a settop box isn't the medium that LA residents watch the Dodgers on in 25 years, there is no doubt in my mind that you will still need to subscribe to a package that includes Fox Sports to watch a Dodgers game in 2037.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Dodgers About to Get STUPID Rich

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:51 pm

So does this mean the dodgers are going to sign josh Hamilton and Justin upton, now? Because that would be fun.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:16 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:So does this mean the dodgers are going to sign josh Hamilton and Justin upton, now? Because that would be fun.

I'm expecting Hamilton to land there. Possibly Greinke too.

Mark Reynolds could be a good fit there as well.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Izenhart wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:So does this mean the dodgers are going to sign josh Hamilton and Justin upton, now? Because that would be fun.

Why would they sign Hamilton when they already have a $55MM outfield? They aren't gonna pay him just to bench Ethier or Crawford.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:59 pm

jfg wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
The TV stations will try to negotiate a larger monthly fee. If things don't go well they will make a PR campaign that you won't be able to watch the Dodgers on XYZ cable/satellite provider. It happens all the time.

Yep. Sports are why satellite and cable TV costs so much. Somebody mentioned earlier that people aren't going to subsidize sports anymore and disconnect but I doubt a large number will do so. Plus, there's no way local teams are coming through your computer/Apple TV/gaming system EVER without a satellite/cable/future model subscription. The league would have to agree to that and obviously that's not happening. Even if a settop box isn't the medium that LA residents watch the Dodgers on in 25 years, there is no doubt in my mind that you will still need to subscribe to a package that includes Fox Sports to watch a Dodgers game in 2037.

People who watch sports aren't going anywhere but I think a lot of other customers will. There is no reason to pay $100+ a month when you can still watch everything you want with an internet connection.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:05 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Izenhart wrote:

Why would they sign Hamilton when they already have a $55MM outfield? They aren't gonna pay him just to bench Ethier or Crawford.

They'll need to sign Hamilton and move Ethier and a couple of prospects for Shields. ;-D Because I think Greinke goes back to Texas.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1437)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:54 pm

ayebatter wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
Izenhart wrote:

They'll need to sign Hamilton and move Ethier and a couple of prospects for Shields. ;-D Because I think Greinke goes back to Texas.
What do you mean by this?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:16 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

Well not back but to Texas, I've heard he loved Nolan/Maddux and his wife is from there.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1437)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:People who watch sports aren't going anywhere but I think a lot of other customers will. There is no reason to pay $100+ a month when you can still watch everything you want with an internet connection.

People will keep paying the cable/satellite subscription as long as it's convenient. You can watch anything for free on the Internet, but it isn't necessarily the path of least resistance either. That involves searching for feeds and probably having to dodge a few intrusive ads/malware along the way. If you wanted to watch content on your big screen TV, then you'll need to take a few steps to make that happen.

If you didn't watch much sports, but liked a few pay TV series and really wanted to keep current, it's still in the best interest to keep up with your favorite series. All the while, people can consume as much content to make their subscription as money well spent. After all, it's relatively inconvenient to get certain TV series/movies on an on-demand basis (i.e. The Dark Knight Rises on DirecTV but not on Netflix streaming until who knows when).

I don't see cable/satellite TV being in a dire situation, at least not right now or within this decade or the next. Content providers view traditional licensing rights with traditional TV channels as the most lucrative revenue channel and are unlikely to budge to a new distribution medium, for a lesser rate of return. I'm sure many hope the TV market will be disrupted upon much like music was. So far, neither Apple, Google, Netflix, nor Hulu, et. al. have been able to shift the market into an a la carte TV distribution model.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:59 am

ayebatter wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
ayebatter wrote:They'll need to sign Hamilton and move Ethier and a couple of prospects for Shields. ;-D Because I think Greinke goes back to Texas.

Well not back but to Texas, I've heard he loved Nolan/Maddux and his wife is from there.
Okay, this is what I thought. Just wanted to make sure. I really hope for fantasy purposes he doesn't head to Texas, as I really like owning him, but doubt I would if he were to play half his games in Arlington.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers