Mike Napoli in Beantown - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Napoli in Beantown

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mike Napoli in Beantown

Postby Surfs up » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Is he worth 20.00 in an AL only that over pays for players ? I know its not the right forum but since we were discussing him I thought I would ask rather than starting a whole new thread.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Izenhart » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Surfs up wrote:Is he worth 20.00 in an AL only that over pays for players ? I know its not the right forum but since we were discussing him I thought I would ask rather than starting a whole new thread.

Depends how deep the league is. In the AL only league I played in for years, anyone with a starting job went for 8 to 10 minimum, we started nearly every player in the league and played with no bench. The waiver wire had maybe a couple dozen hitting options to choose from. A player like Napoli could fetch $20 in that league.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:59 pm

Surfs up wrote:Is he worth 20.00 in an AL only that over pays for players ? I know its not the right forum but since we were discussing him I thought I would ask rather than starting a whole new thread.

Seems a little high but it really depends on the league. Cap, 2 catchers, number of teams?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Surfs up » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Its a 1 catcher league. 260.00 cap. Example. Miggy went for 50.00- Fielder 49.00- Albert 49.00 Verlander 35.00. Adam Dunn 22.00 even coming off that 2011 season. Overpay. 8.00-10.00 buys a part time player at corner in this league. 12 teams
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 pm

Surfs up wrote:Its a 1 catcher league. 260.00 cap. Example. Miggy went for 50.00- Fielder 49.00- Albert 49.00 Verlander 35.00. Adam Dunn 22.00 even coming off that 2011 season. Overpay. 8.00-10.00 buys a part time player at corner in this league. 12 teams

list who went for $20 besides Dunn last year. Dunn for $22 is dumb in any league that counts BA.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:14 am

A guy with full time at bats playing 1st/DH , eligible at C in a league that overpays for offense, sure he could cost $20, a bit of an overpay maybe $5 but it looks like your bargains come in the form of arms so why not. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Mike Napoli in Beantown

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 am

A 100 RBI/25 hr catcher is worthy $20 for sure. $20 is a bargain if he hits 30+ bombs.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Cream » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:23 am

MaudDib wrote:I don't like it but I have never been a fan of Napoli. I think he is still getting over-rated because of that one magical half season a year ago. He has one 30 HR season and he is a career .259 with only one season above .275. Add in that he is already 31 and I don't see how this really fits the Red Sox. After blowing it all up to start over, I would have thought they would have gone a safer route than this.

It isn't horrible but I just don't see him being worth this kind of money.

I tend to agree, but am happy that they are unwilling to extend themselves for the extra years. They need someone to play 1B and the market is pretty thin this year. They could've done worse...
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:55 pm

MaudDib wrote:I don't like it but I have never been a fan of Napoli. I think he is still getting over-rated because of that one magical half season a year ago. He has one 30 HR season and he is a career .259 with only one season above .275. Add in that he is already 31 and I don't see how this really fits the Red Sox. After blowing it all up to start over, I would have thought they would have gone a safer route than this.

It isn't horrible but I just don't see him being worth this kind of money.

He only has one 30 HR season because he only has one season with more than 450 PA. He's been at or above a 30 HR pace prfor pretty much the last 5 years of his career. If he's given full time or close to full time at bats he could hit 35-40 HR.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby jcook3127 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:51 am

^Exactly...it's always bugged me that nobody let Napoli come to the plate 4+ times a game all year long. Now I don't know how concerned I am about Napoli's health or ability to play a full season..but I don't have legitimate real doubts especially since he won't be catching enough to even be a lock to maintain eligibility in 2014.

I like the signing, though I agree it's a slight overpay. But when you consider Julio Lugo 4/43...JD Drew 7/70...Lackey 6/90...and Dice-K 6/103...I'll take it.

And I understand the Sox tore it down to rebuild it, and Napoli is already 31, but still..you need to dress 25 guys a night, and it's not like tanking to get a draft pick works like in the NFL or NBA. Might as well put your best foot forward.
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers