100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Napoli in Beantown

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Napoli in Beantown

Postby Element » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 pm

Mike Napoli, Red Sox Agree To Terms
By Luke Adams [December 3 at 10:18am CST]
10:18am: The deal is worth $39MM over three years, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (via Twitter).

10:10am: The Red Sox have reached an agreement on a three-year contract with Mike Napoli, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (via Twitter). WEEI.com's Rob Bradford was the first to report that the two sides were closing in on a deal.

Financial details of the deal aren't known yet, but Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe tweets that Boston likely paid a larger annual salary to get a three-year contract done, rather than going to four years for Napoli.

Napoli had a down year by his standards for the Rangers in 2012, hitting .227/.343/.469. However, he has a career .863 OPS, and is one season removed from a .320/.414/.631 line. While Boston likely doesn't expect him to produce at that level again, the team will make him its primary first base option, according to Bradford. Cafardo tweets that the 31-year-old will also catch occasionally for the Sox.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#2CysGYdV0YwXfgfD.99
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mike Napoli in Beantown

Postby converge241 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:56 pm

costs a 25th rounder in one league, with C eligibility remaining. *will keep*

I like the move for sox a few mil overpay but should do well at 1B daily or DH when Ortiz is out, I dont see him catching much even if they trade Salty/Lavarnway or Lavarnway goes down - they would still have two C's on the roster. Emergency option, sure that's a bonus.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby soxfan364 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:58 pm

I like it too. Yes he's a bit overpaid, but fills a big hole in the lineup and at 1b. Salty/Lavarnway/Ross will catch and/or be traded - well two of the three will remain.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Izenhart » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:34 pm

$13mil sounds about the current financial climate in Boston, they have a history of slightly overpaying every large FA signing. Napoli is a great fit for what their lineup needed, he's obviously going to be their starting 1B guy. Slight risk at that price, but well worth it if he can put up a couple 30 home run seasons.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 295)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:02 pm

I don't like it but I have never been a fan of Napoli. I think he is still getting over-rated because of that one magical half season a year ago. He has one 30 HR season and he is a career .259 with only one season above .275. Add in that he is already 31 and I don't see how this really fits the Red Sox. After blowing it all up to start over, I would have thought they would have gone a safer route than this.

It isn't horrible but I just don't see him being worth this kind of money.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Guess he's had success hitting in Fenway. Has power to right field as well. The Pesky pole is something like 294 down the right field line.
They'll play him primarly at first. Good glove over there.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 200)

Mike Napoli in Beantown

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:38 am

Surfs up wrote:They'll play him primarly at first. Good glove over there.

:?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Surfs up » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 am

After looking at your reply I realized I forgot to put the question mark after glove.So not so good? LOL !!
Last edited by Surfs up on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 200)

Postby soxfan364 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:09 am

Word is that he's not so great at first. But lots of players switch to first and do a good job. Nap certainly won't win a Gold Glove
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:31 am

MaudDib wrote:I don't like it but I have never been a fan of Napoli. I think he is still getting over-rated because of that one magical half season a year ago. He has one 30 HR season and he is a career .259 with only one season above .275. Add in that he is already 31 and I don't see how this really fits the Red Sox. After blowing it all up to start over, I would have thought they would have gone a safer route than this.

It isn't horrible but I just don't see him being worth this kind of money.

He's only hit 30 HR once because he's never played a full season. There should be no question about his playing time like there with the Angels and Rangers with a contract like this. The question now is if he can stay on the field more playing 1B. The BA doesn't bother me cause his OBP is decent. He has always been a swing for the fences type of hitter.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers