Arod to have surgery. Will miss part of 2013 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Arod to have surgery. Will miss part of 2013

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Arod to have surgery. Will miss part of 2013

Postby converge241 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 am

from MLBTR and reporters on twitter

A-Rod Likely To Undergo Surgery, Miss Part Of 2013
By Luke Adams [December 3 at 9:17am CST]
9:17am: With A-Rod set to miss a chunk of 2013, the Yankees will likely step up their efforts to land Stephen Drew, tweets ESPN's Jim Bowden.

9:02am: Alex Rodriguez's struggles in 2012 may have been partly due to a hip injury, as Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports. According to Sherman, A-Rod was playing with a tear in his hip, which had previously been surgically repaired. The Yankees third baseman will likely need more surgery and figures to miss part of the 2013 season, says Sherman (all Twitter links).

As Sherman notes, with Derek Jeter recovering from surgery as well, the Yankees "desperately" need help on the left side of the infield. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that the team's options include Marco Scutaro and Jeff Keppinger, though Keppinger is also coming off surgery.

According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News (Twitter link), Rodriguez's surgery will take place at some point in January.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#qeuQ6GXQ6kM2BEc1.99
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Arod to have surgery. Will miss part of 2013

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:33 pm

As a Yankees fan, this is frustrating. I wonder why the surgery has been delayed for so long. If this was something they knew about at the end of the year, shouldn't he have gone under the knife the day after the ALCS ended? And if not, it's just another injury that was prolonged as a result of an incorrect or missed diagnosis (e.g Brett Gardner's elbow). And I get an awful feeling that this means we'll be seeing far more of Eduardo Nunez next season than anyone could hope. Over/under on throwing errors at the end of April anyone?
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby neoforce » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Report is that he will be out 4-5 months. So, perhaps out till June 1st. While it has been clear ARod won't be a 30HR guy again, you have to begin to wonder if he will ever be a 20HR guy again.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby converge241 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Plan for July. Not saying that as a Sox fan with hate towards Yanks or anything just thinking safe for Fantasy to plan for July, then if he beats it - it's a bonus.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:31 pm

I think it's actually good news. I'd rather him miss half of next year and know that the end of last season and the playoffs weren't entirely due to decline in skill.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:59 am

He's 37...will be 38 in July...I don't care if he'd be 100% healthy to start the year, expecting 30hr out of a guy that age is setting yourself up for disappointment. Sure, he's not most guys, but most guys are retired by now...I'm not expecting anything other than average thirdbase production going forward, even if he is healthy.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:39 am

The Yankees could have washed their hands of A-Rod in 2008 and re-allocated that $275M to players that weren't already 32 years old. I'm glad they took the chance.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby jcook3127 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:00 am

A-Rod's draft value for 2013 is less than Chipper's last year....kind of crazy how far he fell so fast. Even after the TV steroids interview and that first hip surgery, I figured he'd approach 30/100 for a handful more seasons and at the very least make 762* very interesting.
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:47 pm

luckygehrig wrote:As a Yankees fan, this is frustrating. I wonder why the surgery has been delayed for so long. If this was something they knew about at the end of the year, shouldn't he have gone under the knife the day after the ALCS ended? And if not, it's just another injury that was prolonged as a result of an incorrect or missed diagnosis (e.g Brett Gardner's elbow). And I get an awful feeling that this means we'll be seeing far more of Eduardo Nunez next season than anyone could hope. Over/under on throwing errors at the end of April anyone?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After last year's antics and now waiting until January for surgery, you have to question his professionalism.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:31 pm

What antics? And they apparently just learned of the hip problem in November and doctors determined that he needs to strengthen it before surgery, which is why the procedure isn't being done until January. Or maybe he just hates playing baseball which is why he waited 2 extra months to get it fixed. Yep, that makes more sense. He's just unprofessional.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers