Offered a trades for Moustakas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Offered a trades for Moustakas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Offered a trades for Moustakas

Postby Surfs up » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:02 am

I own Moustakas for 5.00 in my AL only. To keep him past the 2013 season I will have to extend him at 5.00 per year or let him go after the season. Once we turn in our protected rosters extentions cannot be done.
I was offered two trades.
A. I would get Doumit ( 7.00 ), Lorenzo Cain ( 5.00 ) and a 14th pick for Mouskatas. Picks are done after the main draft for either reamining major league players or minor leaguers.

B. I would get Salvador Perez (2.00 ) and his 14th pick for Moustakas.

AL only league. 1 catcher standard 5x5 scoring. we can keep upto 8 players.

I said no to both but wanted to hear what the cafe had to say. I've been trying to get Wil Myers from him but he has declined.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Offered a trades for Moustakas

Postby Goatrider » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:42 pm

I am an NL only guy, so grain of salt here. But I would say no too. It seems to be slightly stronger on AL side, but 3rd base is pretty difficult to fill with top talent in league specific formats. Especially if you have CI too. If Moose is on your keeper list, I would go with a conservative extension. Entend him for one year and carry the $10 salary. He remains valuable in a trade and if he regresses (and I think a good amount of people are in this camp), the ten bucks does not kill you. However, I don't see a reason he doesn't repeat 20hr/70rbi.

Help on mine? viewtopic.php?t=452672
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:07 am

No Deal. Offer B would be tempting because I like Perez a lot and for 2.00, that is pretty hard to beat. But 3B isn't deep and Moustakas has 30+ HR potential. I would be fine extending him up to $15 which gives you three years of data. At that point he either won't have produced enough to pay $20 or he will still be a bargain price and an All-Star 3B.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 am

Another thing I should mention. Players extended ( guaranteed contracts ) cannot be dropped. So if he falls flat on his face the only ways to remove him from my team are. A. Trade B. he gets traded to the NL. C. I pay 25.00 in real money to the league .
A player can only be extended once.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goatrider » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Ahhh. That is neat. Our league, if you drop then you pay half the contract every year for the remainder of the contract. The fact you can get out with REAL cash, I would be comfortable extended to the 3 years/$15 mark. I think you might be underestimating the difficulty of filling 3rd.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Surfs up wrote:Another thing I should mention. Players extended ( guaranteed contracts ) cannot be dropped. So if he falls flat on his face the only ways to remove him from my team are. A. Trade B. he gets traded to the NL. C. I pay 25.00 in real money to the league .
A player can only be extended once.

Too bad you can't keep him longer if you want but I would have not qualms about extending him for one year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Surfs up » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:15 pm

My options are leave him at 5.00 this year and lose him after the season. Extend him just before the draft for 5.00 per year. I would have to decide a week before the draft. And if I do extend him for how long.Now the same person that has Perez has Wil Myers as a minor leaguer. He is willing to trade Myers to me but wants Mouskakas and Casey Janssen. Janssen is only 1.00. But beacuse Myers is a minor leaguer he will still be in his first year if he makes the team. So I would have him for 2013 at 5.00 and then I would either extend him or let him go after the 2014 season. I could probably get Myers and Lorenzo Cain (5.000 or Salvador Perez (2.00 ) for Moustakas and Janssen.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MaudDib » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Surfs up wrote:My options are leave him at 5.00 this year and lose him after the season. Extend him just before the draft for 5.00 per year. I would have to decide a week before the draft. And if I do extend him for how long.Now the same person that has Perez has Wil Myers as a minor leaguer. He is willing to trade Myers to me but wants Mouskakas and Casey Janssen. Janssen is only 1.00. But beacuse Myers is a minor leaguer he will still be in his first year if he makes the team. So I would have him for 2013 at 5.00 and then I would either extend him or let him go after the 2014 season. I could probably get Myers and Lorenzo Cain (5.000 or Salvador Perez (2.00 ) for Moustakas and Janssen.

Sorry for all the confusion. I thought when you said you could only extend him once, that meant one year. I would be comfortable extending him 3 years.

As for the trade, I don't think I would do it. Moustakas is already valuable and there is no telling how good Myers will be. Myers is just the new toy but a year from now he will have lost a lot of luster because odds are very good that he only has a so-so rookie year.

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby fast dogs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:09 pm

keep in mind the Royals are dangling Myers in a trade for a SP; he could be out of the AL before you ever get to use him
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Yeah I mentioned that to the Myers owner hoping he might lower his asking Price or include something else.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions