Books to read before you die - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Books to read before you die

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Books to read before you die

Postby Tavish » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:12 am

My must read list. Some might not have the quite the same impact for a Canadian but are still great reads.

Pudd'nhead Wilson and Huck Finn by Twain
Animal Farm by Orwell
Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck
The Fall of the House of Usher (an anthology would be even better) by Poe
Hitchhikers Guide by Adams
Catcher in the Rye by Salinger
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut
Something Happened by Heller
19 Dead Souls by Gogol
Bleak House by Dickens
A good anthology of PK Dick
Eden by Lem (Solaris is great as well)

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:47 pm

A bunch of my favorite books have been listed all ready, but here are some books which are must reads, IMO:

A Tale of Two Cities
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold-John Le Carre
I, Claudius-Robert Graves (this might be my favorite book)
Catch 22-Joseph Heller
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby ayebatter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:09 pm

thedude wrote:
I, Claudius-Robert Graves (this might be my favorite book)

Started that damn book like 6 times, I have the hardest time getting more than half way through before I give up. !+)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1275)

Postby oscar15 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:50 pm

The Magic of Reality: How do we know what is really true - Richard Dawkins

Free the kids mind.
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Postby kab21 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:53 pm

I'll throw a few out there that I don't think have been mentioned. I will admit that I'm not much of a fiction fan.

Anne Frank - it says something when you aren't terribly interested in the subject matter - teenage girls (obligatory Aqua and GF comment) and WWII
Touching the Void - even better than the excellent Into Thin Air
Marching Powder - an account of a British (black) drug smuggler spending 5+ years in a tough Bolivian prison

I agree with the comments regarding On the Road. Perhaps we underrate it though since travel is much easier now and the adventure isn't as unbelievable as it sounded once. It did have that fictiony feel to it where things were a little too over the top or convenient to be real.

Annapurna has been on my shelf for awhile and I think it could be pretty special but I haven't started it yet. Maybe during one of my camping trips this winter (I live in Taiwan so it's reasonably warm still).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:16 pm

What a terrific thread. i have been a member for a while now and I have never ventured into General Talk. My loss.

Rogue Male - Geoffrey Household
Candide - Voltaire
The man who corrupted Hadleyburg - Mark Twain
Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawkings
Banksy - Wall and Piece

There are so many more wonderful books to read but so little time to do so...
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:39 am

kab21 wrote:I'll throw a few out there that I don't think have been mentioned. I will admit that I'm not much of a fiction fan.

Anne Frank - it says something when you aren't terribly interested in the subject matter - teenage girls (obligatory Aqua and GF comment) and WWII
Marching Powder - an account of a British (black) drug smuggler spending 5+ years in a tough Bolivian prison

I agree with the comments regarding On the Road. Perhaps we underrate it though since travel is much easier now and the adventure isn't as unbelievable as it sounded once. It did have that fictiony feel to it where things were a little too over the top or convenient to be real.

Annapurna has been on my shelf for awhile and I think it could be pretty special but I haven't started it yet. Maybe during one of my camping trips this winter (I live in Taiwan so it's reasonably warm still).

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:What a terrific thread. i have been a member for a while now and I have never ventured into General Talk. My loss.

Rogue Male - Geoffrey Household
Candide - Voltaire
The man who corrupted Hadleyburg - Mark Twain
Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawkings
Banksy - Wall and Piece

There are so many more wonderful books to read but so little time to do so...

Some good recommendations here and some I haven't read that are now on my "to read list". ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:16 pm

kab21 wrote:I'll throw a few out there that I don't think have been mentioned. I will admit that I'm not much of a fiction fan.

As a traveler I am sure that you're familiar with Bill Bryson Kab. You probably either love him or hate his writings.

I happen to love him. I highly recommend Notes from a Small Island, Neither Here nor There and the slightly sad Walk in the Woods about the Appalacian Trail. I have a Short History of Nearly Everything but I haven't gotten to it yet (even though I've had it for 4 or 5 years)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby kab21 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:As a traveler I am sure that you're familiar with Bill Bryson Kab. You probably either love him or hate his writings.

I happen to love him. I highly recommend Notes from a Small Island, Neither Here nor There and the slightly sad Walk in the Woods about the Appalacian Trail. I have a Short History of Nearly Everything but I haven't gotten to it yet (even though I've had it for 4 or 5 years)

Hate.

A walk in the woods was pathetic but I was able to read all of it. I've hiked most of the Pacific Crest Trail and that is not at all what the experience is like even for fat, old, out of shape men. He's greatly exaggerated things to make it seem more exciting and left out what makes through hiking special. His book on his travels through small town america (an older book) was even worse. he didn't share anything particularly insightful and instead he just wrote a book using a bunch of prejudices about the people that he saw and rarely interacted with.

Perhaps I'm not a fan because his overactive imagination basically turns his adventure/travels into fiction and I'm not a fan of fiction.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 pm

The Bible. Don't stuggle through the King James Version and its old english and poor translation. NIV is readily available, or even better the ESV which is widely viewed as the best, most literal translation. Don't tackle the entire thing at once. But grab a chapter and enjoy. Full of everything from history to poetry.

;-D
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 455)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk