Books to read before you die - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Books to read before you die

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Books to read before you die

Postby J35J » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:48 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:World War Z is awesome.

World War Z was terribly disappointing...hated how they set it up with small interviews or whatever...just as soon as you'd get into the interview a few pages in, it was over and then on to the next interview. Very disappointing book.

Day By Day Armageddon is a much better zombie book...probably the best zombie book, IMO.

The Artful Dodger wrote:Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy

Another disappointing book...barely got through it. A very boring, and difficult, read.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:55 am

....there is a Rate the last book you've Read thread by the way for all kinds of suggestions.

Patrick Rothfuss's first two books are very good.
The Name of the Wind
A Wise Man's Fear

The Game of Thrones books...though probably too graphic

Shantaram is awesome

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb is really good....Robin Hobb stuff as a whole is really good.

The Stand and Swan Song are both really good....along the same lines as The Road

Into Thin Air is really good

But yeah...here ya go
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:17 am

Ohhh....Watership Down is a really good book.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:30 pm

TheRock wrote:The Old Man and The Sea - Hemingway

Maybe it's because I was 16 or 17 when I read it, but this was very literally the worst book I ever read.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:51 pm

J35J wrote:....there is a Rate the last book you've Read thread by the way for all kinds of suggestions.

That's a rate the last book you read thread. This one is books to read before you die...completely different.

J35J wrote:Ohhh....Watership Down is a really good book.

My all time favourite book. LOTR with rabbits. Totally awesome and if you don't cry you are not human.

bigh0rt wrote:

Maybe it's because I was 16 or 17 when I read it, but this was very literally the worst book I ever read.

Literally?

Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:19 pm

J35J wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy

Another disappointing book...barely got through it. A very boring, and difficult, read.

It's a very challenging read, at times self-indulgent in its imagery and prose, and it reads as this overly nihilistic spirit-crushing journey. I liken it to Conrad's Heart of Darkness, except Blood Meridian - in the form of the Judge - sees the human condition through Nietzsche-tinted lenses.

Blood Meridian is not as straightforward or as plot-driven as McCarthy's other books, but I find it to be his most profound work.

bigh0rt wrote:

The Old Man and The Sea is probably Hemingway's easiest novel to read. Not that I'm a fan of his work, as I find Hemingway to be a gifted, yet frustrating writer. For Whom The Bell Tolls is probably his best book and that tends to have equally brilliant and lackluster moments interwoven with one another.

If I were reading Hemingway for the first time, I would probably start with the short stories collection. I still have the complete short stories collection from one of my fiction courses in college and I find them to better in capturing the artistic essence of what Hemingway tried to convey in his writing.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:22 pm

J35J wrote:

World War Z was terribly disappointing...hated how they set it up with small interviews or whatever...just as soon as you'd get into the interview a few pages in, it was over and then on to the next interview. Very disappointing book.

What. That was one of my favorite things about it. I loved how you heard all these different stories from people all over the world and through each story he progressed the main story of how the zombie apocalypse went down.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:29 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:It's a very challenging read, at times self-indulgent in its imagery and prose, and it reads as this overly nihilistic spirit-crushing journey. I liken it to Conrad's Heart of Darkness, except Blood Meridian - in the form of the Judge - sees the human condition through Nietzsche-tinted lenses.

Paragraph of the year.
I might put this in my sig.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:10 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
J35J wrote:

What. That was one of my favorite things about it. I loved how you heard all these different stories from people all over the world and through each story he progressed the main story of how the zombie apocalypse went down.

That's what I loved about it too. It was like a collection of short stories all interwoven together.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby J35J » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
J35J wrote:

That's what I loved about it too. It was like a collection of short stories all interwoven together.

Yeah, and that's what I didn't like...I guess it could have been better if it were only 5-6 short stories of 50-75 pages long but it was a tedious 40-50 short stories of only 5-10 pages long. It was hard to get through to be honest and I love this genre.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk