Twins start rebuilding - Span to the National's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Twins start rebuilding - Span to the National's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kab21 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Dave Cameron slammed the trade but this is exactly what the Twins need to be doing. They are a 65 win team with almost no pitching anywhere in the system. If possible I would like to see a similar deal with Willingham.

The Nationals announced that they acquired center fielder Denard Span from the Twins for minor league right-hander Alex Meyer. The Twins have confirmed the deal.

Span, 28, provides the Nationals with an established center fielder. His presence will presumably keep Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth in outfield corners. It could also impact the Nationals' interest in Adam LaRoche, since Michael Morse's primary position might now be first base. Alternatively, the Nationals could move Morse to a team seeking offense and continue pursuing LaRoche.

Span posted a .283/.342/.395 batting line in 568 plate appearances with Minnesota in 2012, numbers that compare closely to his career mark of .284/.357/.389. The five-year MLB veteran will earn $4.75MM in 2013 and $6.5MM in 2014. His contract includes a $9MM club option for 2015 with a $500K buyout.

Meyer, the 23rd overall selection of the 2011 draft, pitched well in 2012, his lone season as a pro. He pitched at Class A, posting a 2.86 ERA with 9.7 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 129 innings. The 6'9" 22-year-old might rank sixth among Twins prospects, John Manuel of Baseball America notes (on Twitter).

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/n ... Dp8RScZ.99
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Twins start rebuilding - Span to the National's

Postby mweir145 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 am

Is Morneau next? Wouldn't be a bad fit in Toronto, could take Lind out of the picture finally.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby kab21 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:41 am

There needs to be a distinction made between rebuilding and dumping salary since the two are not exclusive. The Twins are not a poor team and aren't going to dump expensive players. At 14M Morneau basically has no value (probably negative value) so he wouldn't net much of a prospect unless the Twins covered a lot (more than half of the contract) so there isn't much of a reason to trade him. Willingham OTOH has pretty good value and that's why I would like to see a similar move made with him. I could see the trade market for morneau picking up at the deadline when he's only owed 4-5M though.

Just to get this out of the way - mauer isn't going anywhere for the reasons explained above.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:32 am

kab21 wrote:Dave Cameron slammed the trade but this is exactly what the Twins need to be doing.

Seems to me he didn't slam the idea of the trade as much as the return.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:14 pm

I thought that was exceptional return for span. Great trade. Now the twins have a grand total of 1 pitcher in their system with "ace" potential.

Now, they need Kyle Gibson to pan out as a solid #3 starter and move willingham for another pitching prospect.

I love this trade, for both teams involved.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby kab21 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:27 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
kab21 wrote:Dave Cameron slammed the trade but this is exactly what the Twins need to be doing.

Seems to me he didn't slam the idea of the trade as much as the return.

Slamming the return is slamming the trade which is exactly what I said. If they had traded Span for a pile of crappy pitching prospects then I would have slammed the trade also despite acquiring pitchers.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Element » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm ok with the return as well. Good trade for both parties.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 610)

Postby converge241 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:33 am

They were asking a lot more for Span in prior talks. It was good to see they came down to a more reasonable price.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby kab21 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:06 pm

I continue to be impressed with Terry Ryan in his 2nd offseason. He signed Willingham and Doumit last year to great contracts. And now he has pulled off two nice trades.

Revere was just traded to Philly for Trevor May and Vance, Vance Revolution

Perhaps I'm too excited about a #4 starter and a lottery pick prospect but the Twins have no pitching so this is a nice start. May does have some big issues to work out though. OTOH Revere really wasn't all that good unless you love an empty BA and SB's. Not a bad deal for Philly though.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:54 pm

kab21 wrote:I continue to be impressed with Terry Ryan in his 2nd offseason. He signed Willingham and Doumit last year to great contracts. And now he has pulled off two nice trades.

Revere was just traded to Philly for Trevor May and Vance, Vance Revolution

Perhaps I'm too excited about a #4 starter and a lottery pick prospect but the Twins have no pitching so this is a nice start. May does have some big issues to work out though. OTOH Revere really wasn't all that good unless you love an empty BA and SB's. Not a bad deal for Philly though.

Vance is an underrated starter. No telling what swapping leagues will do to him, but I'd be happy with him in the back end of a rotation.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers