Baseball Hall of Fame '13: Who gets the call? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Hall of Fame '13: Who gets the call?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball Hall of Fame '13: Who gets the call?

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:49 pm

kaiser wrote:Here are the names from this year's official ballot. Vote for as many as you think are deserving. I'll compile results and post eventually.

Here's a link toplayer info on those new to the ballot this year, and voting totals for those returning candidates:

http://bbwaa.com/

Sandy Alomar Jr.
Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds ;-D
Jeff Cirillo
Royce Clayton
Roger Clemens ;-D
Jeff Conine
Steve Finley
Julio Franco
Shawn Green
Roberto Hernandez
Ryan Klesko
Kenny Lofton
Edgar Martinez
Don Mattingly
Fred McGriff
Mark McGwire
Jose Mesa
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Rafael Palmeiro
Mike Piazza
Tim Raines
Reggie Sanders
Curt Schilling
Aaron Sele
Lee Smith
Sammy Sosa ;-D
Mike Stanton
Alan Trammell
Larry Walker
Todd Walker
David Wells
Rondell White
Bernie Williams
Woody Williams

Those are the three that get in in '13. However, if the cloud of PED's is going to prevent Bonds or Clemens from ever gaining entry into the Hall, you don't hang just them, you hang them all.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:54 pm

chargerss24 wrote:if the cloud of PED's is going to prevent Bonds or Clemens from ever gaining entry into the Hall, you don't hang just them, you hang them all.

Who is "all"? Every single player from the past 50 years? 30 years? Just the guys mentioned in the Mitchell Report? Just the guys with big muscles? It's funny that the only guys that ever get suspected are muscle-bound meat heads, but the guys that get caught are pretty much evenly distributed throughout all body types and skill sets.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm

kaiser wrote:But after deciding that admitted steroid users were not going to get my vote, that is who I was left with as my picks.

Ya, how dare we ruin the purity of a sport that was segregated for half of it's existance, had amphetamine users, ball doctoring, game throwing, gambling, sign stealing, bat corking, and probably many other ways in which players illegally gained an advantage.

And let's ignore that the MLB basically knew what was going on and let it happen because of how many fans it brought back to the park after the 1994 strike. If anything steroid use might have saved baseball. But sure, these guys are villains and we should do our best to erase the whole era from baseball rather than accept it as part of the history of the sport.

Across the top of the website of the Hall of Fame, it says "Perserving History * Honoring Excellence * Connecting Generations". By keeping the steroids era out of the Hall of Fame you're basically ignoring the things the Hall of Fame stands for. It's more about the history of the sport than anything else and that means showcasing both the bad and the good parts of the game, not ignoring parts that you may not agree with or might shine a bad light on the sport.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby kaiser » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:22 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
kaiser wrote:But after deciding that admitted steroid users were not going to get my vote, that is who I was left with as my picks.

Ya, how dare we ruin the purity of a sport that was segregated for half of it's existance, had amphetamine users, ball doctoring, game throwing, gambling, sign stealing, bat corking, and probably many other ways in which players illegally gained an advantage.

And let's ignore that the MLB basically knew what was going on and let it happen because of how many fans it brought back to the park after the 1994 strike. If anything steroid use might have saved baseball. But sure, these guys are villains and we should do our best to erase the whole era from baseball rather than accept it as part of the history of the sport.

Across the top of the website of the Hall of Fame, it says "Perserving History * Honoring Excellence * Connecting Generations". By keeping the steroids era out of the Hall of Fame you're basically ignoring the things the Hall of Fame stands for. It's more about the history of the sport than anything else and that means showcasing both the bad and the good parts of the game, not ignoring parts that you may not agree with or might shine a bad light on the sport.

Lawd almighty.

I don't have the strength to argue for or against the PED users. As I said initially, I haven't made up my mind. If anyone wants to have this debate with GiantsFan, feel free. Ain't gonna be me.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby Izenhart » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:43 pm

My picks.

Jeff Bagwell
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Mark McGwire
Mike Piazza
Curt Schilling
Sammy Sosa
Larry Walker
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:48 pm

My picks:

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Mark McGwire
Mike Piazza
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Alan Trammell

Piazza is going to be an interesting one IMO. Much like Bagwell his numbers shout HOF but he's a bigger guy and while there was never any proof there were rumors.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Element wrote:If I had a vote there is where mine would go. I am on the fence with the PED users. Therefore they do not get my vote ... at least for now. I have my suspicions regarding Piazza & Bagwell, but they have never really been linked to anything.

I thought about throwing some votes at Royce Clayton, but decided against it.

Are you OK with Raines knowing he did cocaine while playing?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby J35J » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Element wrote:If I had a vote there is where mine would go. I am on the fence with the PED users. Therefore they do not get my vote ... at least for now. I have my suspicions regarding Piazza & Bagwell, but they have never really been linked to anything.

That should make it more impressive what he did then, shouldn't it? ;)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:22 pm

I've largely stopped caring about this every year with the holier-than-thou, no-nothing writer types who decide who get in (it's kind of like those ridiculous awards they give out too), but the baseball HOF should not be taken seriously at all if it doesn't include Bonds and Clemens (who are arguably the best hitter and best pitcher in the entire history of the sport). I have little doubt that the BBWAA will let baseball down once again come January, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Element » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

Until there is proof that cocaine can improve one's playing ability ... yup!
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers