Dynasty trade - can getting older be a good thing? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Dynasty trade - can getting older be a good thing?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty trade - can getting older be a good thing?

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm looking for a perspective on a dynasty league trade. I usually shy away from challenge trades, and large trades with multiple pieces in general, but this one should be easy to analyze, anyway. It's a SP/OF/3B for a SP/OF/3B, and I'd get a throw-in SP prospect.

I give:

Evan Longoria
Madison Bumgarner
Jay Bruce

I get:

David Wright
Justin Verlander
Curtis Granderson
Tyler Skaggs

I'm not sure how I feel about this, long-term. It sure seems like this is the kind of deal that I'll really regret in two years. But there's a chance I'm putting the future ahead of the present. This is a team that I took over this offseason, so I can't really tell if I'm in "win-now" mode; I don't think I am. The team finished in the bottom half last year. Longoria/Bumgarner/Bruce are by far my best players.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty trade - can getting older be a good thing?

Postby pjalst » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Wright v Longoria - I give this to Longoria, however if Wright leaves the Mets his number could increase if he goes to a hitter's park.
Verlander v Bumgarner - Bumgarner is a good young arm, but Verlander clearly wins this one
Granderson v Bruce - This one is a toss up depending on whether your league uses OBP, OPS, XBH or SLG

I think the Prospect sways the deal to your favor IMO.

keeper help please - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=452635
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby chargerss24 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:09 pm

I doubt you can go wrong accepting or rejecting the trade. As pjalst said, the prospect as a throw in would sway the deal in your favor.

Please help? viewtopic.php?t=452345
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 125)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:38 am

I would prefer to keep what you already have. This does seem like a challenge trade and you wouldnt be at fault to make this trade but I see this as just a lateral move. The comparisons by Pjalst(Russian?) is pretty reasonable and it does make it seem like a wash. Wright leaving the Mets is a potential huge impact.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 68)

Postby americanleagueroto » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:51 am

lane_anasazi2 wrote:I'm looking for a perspective on a dynasty league trade. I usually shy away from challenge trades, and large trades with multiple pieces in general, but this one should be easy to analyze, anyway. It's a SP/OF/3B for a SP/OF/3B, and I'd get a throw-in SP prospect.

I give:

Evan Longoria
Madison Bumgarner
Jay Bruce

I get:

David Wright
Justin Verlander
Curtis Granderson
Tyler Skaggs

I'm not sure how I feel about this, long-term. It sure seems like this is the kind of deal that I'll really regret in two years. But there's a chance I'm putting the future ahead of the present. This is a team that I took over this offseason, so I can't really tell if I'm in "win-now" mode; I don't think I am. The team finished in the bottom half last year. Longoria/Bumgarner/Bruce are by far my best players.

If you were ready to win, even with the hit between Longoria and Wright, it's still a trade you would want to make.

Any other moves you can pull off after? Maybe flip wright + someone, for an upgrade.
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kaiser » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:39 am

I understand why you are asking, but I wouldn't make this deal.

I like the potential for Longoria to start putting up bigger numbers, and while Wright had a better year last year, it does not negate the fact that he has been in a career slide for several seasons now.

Verlander is obviously the better of the two pitchers, but Madison Bumgarner is a top-15 SP with serious potential to be top-10. You take a solid hit there, but it is not massive.

I like Granderson a lot, but I'd rather have the younger, higher ceiling of Bruce. He seemed to be making big steps forward in the second half last year.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 431)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:04 am

kaiser wrote:I understand why you are asking, but I wouldn't make this deal.

I like the potential for Longoria to start putting up bigger numbers, and while Wright had a better year last year, it does not negate the fact that he has been in a career slide for several seasons now.

Verlander is obviously the better of the two pitchers, but Madison Bumgarner is a top-15 SP with serious potential to be top-10. You take a solid hit there, but it is not massive.

I like Granderson a lot, but I'd rather have the younger, higher ceiling of Bruce. He seemed to be making big steps forward in the second half last year.

Yeah, I am not sure what you really gain by doing this deal. You aren't filling holes, you are just trading a player at each position and for a similar player at the same position. It can be argued either way on what is good for your team but I don't really seeing this deal doing all that much for you. The prospect does help but I am not sure it is enough to do the deal.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby americanleagueroto » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 am

Like I said, if you can win this year, you pull the trigger, this deal makes your team better this year. Beyond that, it's going to even out and even slide the other way sooner rather than later I believe.
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks for the help, guys. I didn't quite trust my own gut on this one but you've confirmed my own thinking. I'm just not a fan of challenge trades in general.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 99)

Postby Element » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:31 pm

For some further reassurance ... good move to decline the trade.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions