Wireless Router - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wireless Router

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wireless Router

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 am

Okay, so since I've moved into my house two months ago, the wireless router provided to me by Cablevision just isn't cutting it. It doesn't seem to have a large enough range to provide a strong/consistent enough signal for my iPhone/iPad/Blu-Ray Player (though I don't really have problems with my laptop, if that's helpful information). So I was thinking I may just have to buy a better router that carries a stronger signal over a larger area. I know literally nothing about the subject. I don't need anything special. Just something that has the noted characteristics, and is easy enough for a 7-year old to set up a network with a password on. Again, I know nothing about the subject. I perused Tiger Direct, and saw Slick Deals has one at a nice price, but I'd really rather someone who knows what they're talking about point me in the right direction and make a suggestion. As long as it's under like $80 - $100 I'm alright with it, but I don't want to go out of my way to spend unnecessarily, if something cheaper will suit my needs.

Thanks folks.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wireless Router

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:20 am

When we bought ours (a couple of years ago) apparently there are/were two types of wireless signals...G and N or something like that, and the better routers were compatible to both.

Hope that helps :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 pm

just steal it from your neighbors
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:just steal it from your neighbors
Now that I'm in a house and not in an apartment, I no longer have the buffet of choices that I once had. :,-( In fact no other network signal is even available to me.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 pm

A few different options here:

1. Put your existing modem and router upstairs and see if that helps things. A wireless signal does better moving down rather than up, but it might not.

2. Buy a bridge which extends your existing wireless signal, put it on the middle floor and you should get a solid signal throughout the house. I'd recommend one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-AirPort-Express-Station-MC414LL/dp/B008ALA2RC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354230216&sr=8-2&keywords=airport+extreme

3. Try that same Airport Express on it's own especially if your current router is G. It might be enough to send signal to the whole house. The Airport's are known for their great range, but you might as well use it as an extender rather than a router and ensure great signal throughout the house.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:14 pm

jfg wrote:A few different options here:

1. Put your existing modem and router upstairs and see if that helps things. A wireless signal does better moving down rather than up, but it might not.

2. Buy a bridge which extends your existing wireless signal, put it on the middle floor and you should get a solid signal throughout the house. I'd recommend one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-AirPort-Express-Station-MC414LL/dp/B008ALA2RC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354230216&sr=8-2&keywords=airport+extreme

3. Try that same Airport Express on it's own especially if your current router is G. It might be enough to send signal to the whole house. The Airport's are known for their great range, but you might as well use it as an extender rather than a router and ensure great signal throughout the house.
Does it matter that I don't have Apple products for mine or my girlfriend's laptops?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:20 pm

No, it's a normal router.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:45 pm

When I was having an issue with signal drops and weak signal, I upgraded to this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/netgear ... 63752.html

There are certainly better ones out there but, for the money, it has done me very well. It handles everything that I throw at it like a champ. I would try the previous recommendations first but don't be afraid to try this if need be. It takes all of a few minutes to set up. You need to dig out some old ethernet cables because you have to set it up wired.

Good luck. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Lofunzo wrote:When I was having an issue with signal drops and weak signal, I upgraded to this:

There are certainly better ones out there but, for the money, it has done me very well. It handles everything that I throw at it like a champ. I would try the previous recommendations first but don't be afraid to try this if need be. It takes all of a few minutes to set up. You need to dig out some old ethernet cables because you have to set it up wired.

Good luck. ;-D

That looks exactly like the one I've got now.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:31 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:When I was having an issue with signal drops and weak signal, I upgraded to this:

Good luck. ;-D

That looks exactly like the one I've got now.

Interesting. This works great with my Cablevision service, at least here. When you have a chance, check the model #.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to General Talk