Wins 10 points
poolagoo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minor league keeper

Postby MaudDib » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:28 am

Hedges.

I like the other guys but they are more long-term bets. Hedges is already good.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby BMchl91 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 pm

I like Hedges
Twitter: @BMchl91
BMchl91
T-Ball Trainer

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:46 am

MaudDib wrote:Hedges.

Not sure how you got there - Hedges is not even out of single-A. He was good, yeah, but the numbers got filtered through the lens of "everyone expected this guy to be a defense-first catcher," and it turns out he's got something of a bat. Catchers develop slowly, and he has all of 300 single-A AB.

I'd take Story, Bonafacio, or Ventura before Hedges. Story has a chance to be an impact bat at either SS/2B and play half his games at Coors. Bonafacio is the best pure hitter in KC's system not named Wil Myers and has legitimate power. Ventura is the only one of the bunch who has actually made it to AA, and even if he doesn't stick as a starter -and I think he does - he has elite K/9 potential... his fastball flashes plus-plus.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:17 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:
MaudDib wrote:Hedges.

Not sure how you got there - Hedges is not even out of single-A. He was good, yeah, but the numbers got filtered through the lens of "everyone expected this guy to be a defense-first catcher," and it turns out he's got something of a bat. Catchers develop slowly, and he has all of 300 single-A AB.

I'd take Story, Bonafacio, or Ventura before Hedges. Story has a chance to be an impact bat at either SS/2B and play half his games at Coors. Bonafacio is the best pure hitter in KC's system not named Wil Myers and has legitimate power. Ventura is the only one of the bunch who has actually made it to AA, and even if he doesn't stick as a starter -and I think he does - he has elite K/9 potential... his fastball flashes plus-plus.

Story is the only one that really can go up against Hedges. Ventura while he has good stuff is far from the big leagues and undersized for a pitcher. If you had one guy to take, you aren't taking an undersized pitcher that still has 2-3 years before you see him in the bigs. Bonafacio has a ton of potential but he has yet to realize much of it. He had a good first half but there are still questions marks that should push you to either Story or Hedges.

Personally I am not sold on Story yet. I tried to find someone of the information I found earlier in the year that has me reserved on Story but I couldn't find it right now, maybe I will look for it later. Hedges has been a guy I have heard good things about for a year or two now so his good numbers last year weren't much of a surprise. None of these guys are locks to be studs and you can make a case for any of them but I think Hedges has a clearer path to the bigs even with Grandal in SD and his bat will make him pretty valuable.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:42 pm

MaudDib wrote:Story is the only one that really can go up against Hedges. Ventura while he has good stuff is far from the big leagues and undersized for a pitcher. If you had one guy to take, you aren't taking an undersized pitcher that still has 2-3 years before you see him in the bigs. Bonafacio has a ton of potential but he has yet to realize much of it. He had a good first half but there are still questions marks that should push you to either Story or Hedges.

Haven't we learned by now not to dismiss undersized pitchers solely for their size?

BA on Ventura:

"Nicknamed "Lil' Pedro" because of his combination of size and velocity, Ventura has a fastball that sits at 94-97 mph and reaches 102. He can throw his curveball for strikes by taking a little off it, or use it as a chase pitch by breaking it off harder. It's a true downer curve that should end up as a plus pitch if he continues to refine it...Despite his small stature, Kansas City hopes Ventura can fill one of the holes in their big league rotation, perhaps as soon as mid-2013. His stuff makes him a safe bet to at least be a power reliever."

FakeTeams on Hedges:

"So how does all of this combine to make Hedges an instructive example exactly? To put it bluntly, Hedges value as a prospect and a player is significantly higher in the real world than it is in fantasy. While I have gone to lengths to say that Hedges' average abilities at the plate shouldn't be overlooked, his superb talents as a defender shouldn't be overrated by fantasy owners."

Hedges will open 2013 at hi-A, and catchers move slowly. When do you think he'll even get called up, never mind starting full time? Ventura could see time in the show this year, and he fits the profile of a high risk, high reward fantasy prospect. Hedges has a great floor because of his defense; unless he gets hurt he's almost a lock to be an MLB regular. But that's not a good thing; most leagues have rules about calling up prospects, and sooner or later you're going to be using a roster spot on your team for a backup catcher whose offensive upside is not elite, waiting for him to get full time AB, and then waiting again for him to start hitting. Personally, I want a higher upside prospect; if they flame out, fine. You can drop them then and there.

We can argue the details of floor/upside and philosophy of fantasy prospect keepers, but can we at least agree that Ventura isn't 2-3 years away? That in fact he's ahead of Hedges on the development curve?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Really whats the point here? You have your opinions and I have mine here. In 5 years we will know who was right or wrong but until then everything is speculation which is what most of us like about prospect hunting. But I am not going to get into a big debate about a bunch of guys who are good not great prospects who are all a few years away depending on how each team decides to move that guy.

I think Hedges is closer but I could easily be wrong here. Even if he isn't, it doesn't take away from me still thinking he is the best prospect. Again not something either one of us will know for a while.

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby poolagoo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks for the replies! I should have stated what I am looking for on my minor league squad. With one of the better keeper squads in the league and the fact that we are expanding our minor league roster to 10 this season, I am looking for most upside..long term. This is why I keep guys like Sano and Gallo. I have Greinke on my team as well and am looking to move him for an 8th minor league since I can't keep him anyways. Debating if I should offer him straightup for Rondon or see if the Tavares owner will bite. Greinke is a major upgrade for both owners as a 5th keeper.
poolagoo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions