14 players, 10 keepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

14 players, 10 keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

14 players, 10 keepers

Postby pleepleus88 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:16 am

It's only November, but Bill James projections just showed up on fangraphs...I can't believe I am already asking for (obviously early) opinions on keepers for 2013.

League: 12 teams, H2H, 9x9 with a sabermetric lean (r,h,rbi,sb,k,bb,obp,slg,fpct / w,k,era,whip,sv,ip,holds,k/9,k/bb)
I've succeeded fairly well the last few years by punting SP for the most part, picking up spare parts to get me through the season. (Capuano, Dickey, Blanton, etc in 2012)

No-brainers are in bold.
C:
1b:Joey Votto
2b:Jason Kipnis
3b:Pablo Sandoval
ss:Jose Reyes
lf:Matt Holliday
cf:Curtis Granderson
rf:
util:Aramis Ramirez

SP:Yovani Gallardo
SP:Jordan Zimmermann (go pointers!)
SP:
SP:
SP:
RP * 4:(holds makes this position virtually meaningless, as you can pick up many setup guys with better peripherals than most closers very late in the draft.)

I need one from the following list, or more if I bump Kipnis/Granderson/Ramirez from above.

1B/LF Yonder Alonso (might be great long-term, and i hear the fences are coming in, but I've already got a UTIL guy in Ramirez...)
RF Shin Soo Choo (long time keeper for me, in an OBP league, and it pains me to let him go...but he's fading)
RF Carlos Quentin (holy cow, he's already 30?)
SP RA Dickey (can I trust him to be anywhere near 2012?)
SP Tommy Milone (look at his numbers a second time if you don't think he should even be on this list...)

Thanks for your opinions, and yes, I will happily offer help in return.
pleepleus88
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 14 players, 10 keepers

Postby MaudDib » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:31 am

You have to keep Dickey. While he might not repeat, you can't let him go in case he does repeat. It isn't going to cost you much to keep him no matter what but he should probably be a bold pick after the past two seasons.

The other guys aren't good enough to bump Granderson or Aramis out of the top group.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Re: 14 players, 10 keepers

Postby Kimbos Beard » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 pm

MaudDib wrote:You have to keep Dickey. While he might not repeat, you can't let him go in case he does repeat. It isn't going to cost you much to keep him no matter what but he should probably be a bold pick after the past two seasons.

The other guys aren't good enough to bump Granderson or Aramis out of the top group.

Have to keep Dickey. Don't expect Dickey to put up this years numbers, but people seem to forget/ignore the fact that this was Dickey's third straight year of putting up terrific numbers on an absolutley awful team both offensively and defensively. (I am a NY'er) Avoid the over anaylsis of how Dickey is a knuckleballer and unproven and will fall apart next year and feel comfortable knowing that while he may not win a Cy Young next year he should be at least a very good SP2
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions