A fantasy sports revolution - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

A fantasy sports revolution

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A fantasy sports revolution

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:57 pm

for those of you that play more fantasy sports than just baseball, here is me shamelessly plugging my own article.

http://milledgeinc.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-idea-is-born.html
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A fantasy sports revolution

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:01 am

cool.
2 people in your league will actually be interested in the NHL.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:10 am

Nice read & sounds interesting but.....................

There isn't any Hockey....... :-/

and I hate football....... %-6

and basketball is filled with thugs and crybabies...... :-t

lets just keep it to baseball. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:14 am

I anticipate a huge problem with people punting entire sport(s), and that really damaging the competitiveness, fun, and spirit of the league concept.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:46 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I anticipate a huge problem with people punting entire sport(s), and that really damaging the competitiveness, fun, and spirit of the league concept.

I really thought about this quite a bit as I assumed this would happen. That is how I came up with the scoring system for each sport. -12 for getting 10th place, -8 for getting 9th place. 5 points just for making the playoffs. so, as it plays out, a team that places top 6 in all 4 sports would score a minimum of 20 pts. If a team punts two sports and wins two sports (10th, 10th, 1st, 1st) that team would end up with only 16 points maximum. The scoring system really favors teams that participate in all 4 sports.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:35 pm

Interesting concept but I think it'd be really hard in practice. You're going to have to start the draft for the second year of The League three months before the first season is over. Not to mention requiring every member to be active setting lineups and such for 365 days a year. With the right group I suppose that isn't an issue. Also, drafting for the 2014 baseball season in August of 2013 is pretty iffy. How strange would it be to have two separate baseball rosters for the same fantasy league at the same time? I do like the idea of supplemental drafts for each sport as the start of the season draws near, instead of just for baseball. Alas, I have no interest in football or basketball, so this league isn't for me, but it'd be cool if you're able to get enough people interested to make it a reality.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:50 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I anticipate a huge problem with people punting entire sport(s), and that really damaging the competitiveness, fun, and spirit of the league concept.

That came to mind here as well but I always subscribe to the theory that, if I can't trust my leaguemates to be ethical, I don't want to play in a league with them in the first place. The hardest thing for me is finding enough people that like basketball enough to play in a fantasy hoops league.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

That came to mind here as well but I always subscribe to the theory that, if I can't trust my leaguemates to be ethical, I don't want to play in a league with them in the first place. The hardest thing for me is finding enough people that like basketball enough to play in a fantasy hoops league.
Is it really unethical, though? The OP responded citing that it'd be difficult to win if you punt a sport, but if you're able to punt, say, hockey, to put yourself in a better position to win the other sports and improve your overall position, isn't that really part of this league format?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:35 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Is it really unethical, though? The OP responded citing that it'd be difficult to win if you punt a sport, but if you're able to punt, say, hockey, to put yourself in a better position to win the other sports and improve your overall position, isn't that really part of this league format?

That's part of it and, in most instances, I don't see it as unethical. I look at it the same way as I do in most keeper leagues. If it's justifiable and well intended, I wouldn't have an issue with it. If someone is just punting for no reason other than that they're out of it in a specific sport, I would have an issue with it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to General Talk