Trade David Price ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade David Price ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade David Price ?

Postby Surfs up » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm in a 12 team AL only. I'm trying to get Middlebrooks who is only 5.00. He reamins 5.00 until the 2013 season is over. I can add years to his contract after next season at 5.00 per year or keep him for the 2014 season at 5.00 but lose him when the seaso is over.
I have David Price at 20.00. I took over this team a month ago. The previous owner had already added 3 years to his contract. He can be kept this year and next at 20.00 but after the 2014 season he goes back to the draft.
Thinking of offering Price to get Middlebrooks. Thoughts?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 192)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Trade David Price ?

Postby RogerThat » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:33 am

If you don't think you can win next year, yes I would do that
If you have a good team and plan on going for a in the money finish next year, then no
Think middlebrooks is solid but could have a sophomore slump like so many do
RogerThat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Re: Trade David Price ?

Postby MaudDib » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:55 am

Not for Middlebrooks. I am not sold on him as much of a big leaguer. If you are dealing two years of Price at $20, you should be able to land something better than that. Personally I would probably hang on to him and maybe try and deal him next year or during the season. But I think you should be able to get a couple of good young studs that haven't broken out yet. Look along the lines of Lawrie or Hosmer or Moore. All three had down years but all three have stud like ability. Get one of those and another player that will give you a good return on investment.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:02 am

What if I was to ask for Middlebrooks and Profar ? Profar will be 5.00 when he is activated to the major league roster.I doubt he would do that anyway. Both Hosmer and Lawrie will be in their last year contract unless they are upgraded before roster freeze. Both are 5.00 and owned by the same GM.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Trade David Price ?

Postby RogerThat » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:09 am

I agree I would try first for Lawrie, Moore or Hosmer and 1 for 1 you may get one of those
Don't ask for more, you won't get it and may prevent talks from happening

In a similar league I have price at16 this year, 21 for 14 and +5 each after and offered price for Lawrie at 6 for this year and 11 for 14 and +5 each after
No end to the contract just when you drop them
Owned turned it down but we are still talking about 2nd players to make it work
Same owner has Hosmer for same amount as Lawrie and I believe he could be mine straight up for Price but I am holding out for Lawrie
Lawrie being 3b over Hosmer 1b is big for me

Don't think any chance rays trade Price for 2013 but not sure how much after that they will keep him and obviously if he goes to the NL he is useless
RogerThat
College Coach
College Coach

Trade David Price ?

Postby RogerThat » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:11 am

Sorry just saw your new post, no way he includes Profar
Do you have a minor leaguer that is somewhere in the top 30-60 range
Try him and price for middlebrooks and Profar
RogerThat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby americanleagueroto » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:23 pm

I think you can get more for Price at $20 the next two years. In my converted projections to auction dollar figures for 10 team AL only, I have price worth $32 this next season. In AL Only leagues I believe in having one ace. Do you have another ace, which is why you're shopping Price?

While I have Middlebrooks converted projections to auction dollar at $20 in my EARLY projections for 2013, I also see some risk with this type of player (low Walk, High K) and will more than likely adjust me projections decreasing his auction dollar figure. I also have Lawrie at $20 for 2013, but I'd feel much safer dealing for him. Even then, unless you're really tearing it down, and believe you have acquire another ace at $10-12 UNDER value, I think you hang onto Price, and see what shakes out.

He's under contract at a great price for enough time, some owners might get desperate at the trade deadline if they're in the hunt, and offer you an inflated package.

I know taking over a team, especially in a deeper only league, you really want to make a splash and put your stamp on the team, but I feel this isn't the move to make.

What are some other players/contracts you currently have that could appeal to the other managers?
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Surfs up » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:43 pm

I have Adam Dunn 22.00 in his second year. Moustakas at 5.00 . I either leave his contract where it is and lose him after this year or add 5.00 for each additional year. Erick Aybar 15.00 same deal as Mouse. I have Trout for 5.00 and he will be that again next year. Thats when I will add years to his contract.
Fernando Rodney at 1.00 and he will be going into his second year. Casey Janssen 1.oo same deal second year.
Erasmo Ramirez , Corey Kluber, David Huff and J.A. Happ all at 1.00 Plus Price at 20.00. A few other guys like Elvis Andrus who is 35.00 and Arod 34.00 who I won't keep . We can keep up to 8 players. 12 teams AL only standard 5x5 scoring.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby americanleagueroto » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:22 pm

Surfs up wrote:I have Adam Dunn 22.00 in his second year. Moustakas at 5.00 . I either leave his contract where it is and lose him after this year or add 5.00 for each additional year. Erick Aybar 15.00 same deal as Mouse. I have Trout for 5.00 and he will be that again next year. Thats when I will add years to his contract.
Fernando Rodney at 1.00 and he will be going into his second year. Casey Janssen 1.oo same deal second year.
Erasmo Ramirez , Corey Kluber, David Huff and J.A. Happ all at 1.00 Plus Price at 20.00. A few other guys like Elvis Andrus who is 35.00 and Arod 34.00 who I won't keep . We can keep up to 8 players. 12 teams AL only standard 5x5 scoring.

Even adding $5 next year (and honestly, even adding an additional $5 the following year) Price will still be a solid asset) Looking at your staff, I'd keep Price this year, let it be known he can be had towards the deadline, but only for the right package, and be willing to extend him for $5 the following year. After that, I'd look to move him at the deadline, and you'll still get a solid return for him since the acquiring owner has the option to extend at $5 that next year, and in theory still be below his converted auction dollar figure, granted with a smaller window of profit/risk.

I'd try to move Dunn. I have him projected out at 30 hr, .230 BA with appropriate counting stats, and in a 12 team AL only (5 OF MI CI) I have his auction price at $11. I have Aybar at $21 for this year, so he's up against it also when you factor in the $5 raise. Rodney (projected $19), Janssen ($8), Ramirez ($8) are great values. I'd cut ties with Kluber and Happ if you need a spot or to save money. I would without question cut Huff, even at a buck. I project Huff out at -13.

Like you said, both Andrus and Arod are too spendy in this format.

I have Trout worth $46 (and when bidding gets going, you know he'll go for way more than this - I wrote a post on rotoprofessor about this earlier in the week) so you're $5 is about the best value you can get.

Not a huge Moustakas fan (low walk, high K, young player) for I still have him at $10, so hang onto him.

I think i'd extend Moustakas, keep Aybar but let this be his final year, Trout, Rodney, Janssen = no brainer, Keep Price until at least the deadline, or until an overwhelming package comes back. Also keep Ramirez. There's 7. Do you have to keep 8, or could you save the $1 and go into the draft with one open roster spot. If you have to keep an 8th, it's Kluber, but... :-L

Hope this helps

;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Surfs up » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Very helpful. Price was extended by his previous owner. It can only happen once. We can keep up to eight. I had a guy offer me Phil Hughes 10.00 for Moustakas straight up. Told him no thanks.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions