Epic Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Epic Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Epic Trade

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:13 am

Toronto took a real gamble IMO. They added a ton of salary for some questionable players. Some have said Johnson was the best player but I don't see it. He salary isn't bad but he's been consistantly injured and didn't look like the same pitcher last year. Reyes makes the most sense to me and I do think he work out. I don't think he is as much of an injury risk as some people make him out to be but I worry about him playing on turf. Buehrle is an innings eater and not much more. I give the Jays credit for seeing a weaker AL East and going for it but I still don't think they have enough to take the division unless everything breaks right.

And Stanton owners should be pissed too. He'll be lucky to see a strike and hit a HR no one will be on base.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 am

mweir145 wrote:This money is supposed to come back and bite the richest owner in baseball in the ass? They can handle paying all of this and more with the millions upon millions they make off owning the Jays and their television rights.

Yep, it sure will. There is a big difference between an owner with a lot of money and an owner who has a lot of money and is willing to spend it. And the owner of the Jays is in the latter group. Maybe if they win over the next couple of seasons then this changes things and the organization starts to spend more.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:53 am

[url]Nevertheless, why didn't the Jays simply sign these guys last offseason without losing these pieces?[/url]

Who says they didn't try? who says those guys would have gone to toronto for anywhere near those contracts? reyes is a dominican, you don't think he'd prefer to play in florida over canada? why couldn't the outcome of the 2012 season had an affect on how the jays perceived their chances in the division? saying that the jays could have "simply' just signed those guys last offseason is simply silly.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 810)

Postby kab21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 pm

The problem with the Marlins is that they don't seem to have any plan as to what they are doing. They spent too recklessly last year and now they are going into a complete firesale. I'll be honest, shedding Buehrle is definitely a good move for a rebuilding team. Trading Reyes is also a good idea although he should have some decent value. Trading Johnson was probably the only way that they were getting anything back of decent value. Miami didn't get any stud prospects back but I like the talent they got.

I think this deal (and the Dodgers) is another sign that salary inflation will take off and you won't be able to spend money in FA even if you have a lot of it.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 518)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:24 pm

thedude wrote:Poor Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle. They thought they would thought they would be playing in Miami, now they need to pack away their shorts and convertibles and invest in barn jackets and front wheel drive SUVs.

my buddy lives down the road from buehrle and his brother
he chatted with buehrle's brother last night, and mark is apparently none too happy about playing in toronto
says he's hoping he'll get flipped to another team
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby ayebatter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
And Stanton owners should be pissed too. He'll be lucky to see a strike and hit a HR no one will be on base.

50 homers.................. 60 rbi :-b
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1604)

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:45 pm

A few of the comments I have read explained the tax implications for those moving into Canada.

That is reason enough alone for Buerhle and Reyes to be pissed. We are talking millions of dollars less over the course of their contracts just for playing 1/2 their games in Canada.
Thanks to Idahofan for the sweet graphic!
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Buehrle and Reyes are probably not too happy about being moved less than a year after being able to sign a big FA contract and for the first time in their career have control over the city they're playing in, but they're probably happier than Giancarlo Stanton. Maybe they should have included a no trade clause when joining a team owned by such a sleazeball.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 527)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Buehrle and Reyes are probably not too happy about being moved less than a year after being able to sign a big FA contract and for the first time in their career have control over the city they're playing in, but they're probably happier than Giancarlo Stanton. Maybe they should have included a no trade clause when joining a team owned by such a sleazeball.

Or maybe a pay adjustment clause that normalizes their income based on tax considerations :-[
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby mweir145 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:21 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
thedude wrote:Poor Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle. They thought they would thought they would be playing in Miami, now they need to pack away their shorts and convertibles and invest in barn jackets and front wheel drive SUVs.

my buddy lives down the road from buehrle and his brother
he chatted with buehrle's brother last night, and mark is apparently none too happy about playing in toronto
says he's hoping he'll get flipped to another team

Buerhle probably thinks Toronto is some kind of cold tundra 365 days a year like most of the people I've ever met from Missouri. But this is an example of why you can't simply say the Jays could have signed such players last offseason. It is not too easy to sell a FA on the idea of playing in Canada and for a Jays organization that hasn't been relevant in a long, long time.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers