Epic Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Epic Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Epic Trade

Postby GRIN » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 am

I just have to say: Fantasy Cafe has some of the most intelligent, respectful, well thought out sports discussions going. It's a pleasure to read. Well done everyone! ;-D
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Epic Trade

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:51 am

bigh0rt wrote:
kab21 wrote:The Jays continue to go for broke this offseason getting Dickey for D'Arnaud and Snydergaard (other spare parts exchanged). I love the aggressiveness by the jays this offseason. The only team in the East that looks really good is the Rays and they have their own weaknesses. The Red sox are a disaster right now, the Yankees look like they could tumble and the O's aren't as good as they were last year (but improving). If you are going to go for it then this is an excellent couple of seasons to do it. And in the end it cost them several good prospects and taking on Buehrle's and Reyes' potentially ugly contracts but that's just money.
Can d'Arnaud please be the Mets' C for the next 10 years? Snydergaard on the bump with Harvey and Wheeler? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Please??

No. Sorry, h0rt. Mets... Y'know?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:56 pm

Dickey agrees to 2 year, $25M extension

wow... so it's cheaper than what he was asking from the Mets. And cheaper than the 2 year contract Ryan Dempster just signed. Me gusta.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:55 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Dickey agrees to 2 year, $25M extension

wow... so it's cheaper than what he was asking from the Mets. And cheaper than the 2 year contract Ryan Dempster just signed. Me gusta.

This is the best news. Dickey could have put the kibosh on the entire deal and it looks like he looked at the Jays and liked the direction they were headed.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Great move for the Mets. Two top prospects for a 38 year old pitcher.

The Blue Jays now have a pretty good team. With the current state of the Yankees and the Red Sox, now is the time for them to think about the short run.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tavish » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Dickey agrees to 2 year, $25M extension

This is the best news. Dickey could have put the kibosh on the entire deal and it looks like he looked at the Jays and liked the direction they were headed.

Not sure if the Jays direction was much of a deciding factor. I believe he was asking for 2/26 from the Mets so it wasn't like he took a major cut from what he wanted. He would have been a real interesting free agency study this season had it been a walk year for him. His signing has so many unusual factors involved I would have loved to see what his market value in terms of pure cash/years would have been. I'm guessing that someone would have at least gone 3/45 but not entirely sure.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:14 pm

The hype may be getting out of hand. I am fearing the Marlin effect.

The two sites that I use to check odds both have the Jays as the favourite to win the WS at 8/1. Nats, Dodgers, Angels and Tigers are close behind but both Bodog and Bet365 have the Jays as the team to beat. Don't know how they can be ahead of the Angels and Tigers in the AL.

Interesting - the Orioles are 41/1 on one site and 40/1 on the other. TB still has the best rotation in the AL and they are 25/1. Go figure.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:23 am

The Marlins had Stanton/Hanley and added Reyes, Buehrle and an old, overweight past his prime relief pitcher as their big moves. The Jays have Bautista and Edwin, and added Reyes, Buehrle, plus the NL batting champion, plus the NL Cy Young winner, plus Josh Johnson, and they have a healthy Sergio Santos added to the bullpen. Not exactly parallel situations. It was all free agent hype over mediocre players cashing in on huge contracts Buehrle/Bell) in Miami last season. Seems to be a lot more substance with the Jays. Of course, I could be biased.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:01 am

Skin Blues wrote:The Marlins had Stanton/Hanley and added Reyes, Buehrle and an old, overweight past his prime relief pitcher as their big moves. The Jays have Bautista and Edwin, and added Reyes, Buehrle, plus the NL batting champion, plus the NL Cy Young winner, plus Josh Johnson, and they have a healthy Sergio Santos added to the bullpen. Not exactly parallel situations. It was all free agent hype over mediocre players cashing in on huge contracts Buehrle/Bell) in Miami last season. Seems to be a lot more substance with the Jays. Of course, I could be biased.

I feel like I would have heard if the giants traded buster.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:23 am

Skin Blues wrote:The Marlins had Stanton/Hanley and added Reyes, Buehrle and an old, overweight past his prime relief pitcher as their big moves. The Jays have Bautista and Edwin, and added Reyes, Buehrle, plus the NL batting champion, plus the NL Cy Young winner, plus Josh Johnson, and they have a healthy Sergio Santos added to the bullpen. Not exactly parallel situations. It was all free agent hype over mediocre players cashing in on huge contracts Buehrle/Bell) in Miami last season. Seems to be a lot more substance with the Jays. Of course, I could be biased.
Nailed it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers