Keepers... yay or nay? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keepers... yay or nay?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keepers... yay or nay?

Postby KSChris » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:08 pm

With my league's price-increase really causing problems with higher priced players in terms of keepers, I decided to just throw it all out the window this offseason and build a fresh team entering Year 5 of the league. I made a lot of trades, and have come up with the following group of 10 keepers (16 team league, 10 keepers per team)

1B Prince Fielder, $30
2B Jason Kipnis, $3
3B Brett Lawrie, $3
SS Manny Machado $3 (I know he won't have SS eligibility, unless he regains it)
OF Wil Myers $3
OF Starling Marte $3
OF Adam Jones $31

SP Felix Hernandez $25
SP Madison Bumgarner $3
SP Shaun Marcum $5, or Ian Kennedy $14, or Dan Straily $4

I've also got a $24 Yadier Molina, $11 Alcides Escobar, and $5 Nick Castellanos to choose from but the ones I listed are my current keepers heading into next year.

Should I stick with that? Or should I maybe try and trade a couple for some improvements? My main goal, though, is to just build a solid group but a CHEAP group as well. Not sure how much playing time Marte or Myers will get next year, is my only concern. And Jones is really expensive.. but I almost feel like I have to have another good bat along with Fielder, otherwise my team will be almost entirely unproven in terms of keepers.

Thoughts?
KSChris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keepers... yay or nay?

Postby MaudDib » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:12 am

It looks like you have the right group of guys unless you do some trading. I would be worried about going into the season relying on Myers, Machado and Marte. All three are very young and have a lot of growing pains left. They are great guys to have as a Util or bench play but not guys I would want penciled into my starting roster before the season.

If you can still do some trading, I would. You have got the right idea and I would probably hold off dealing Fielder or Felix unless you get something really good. You want to at least have a couple of studs to help carry your team.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Keepers... yay or nay?

Postby KSChris » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 am

Well I wouldn't be relying on those guys to start, but at those prices I can keep them an still land some good starters in the draft is my thinking.

I'm high on Myers in particular. Don't really want to deal him.
KSChris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:04 pm

First of all, going to assume this is a $260 budget league, otherwise the numbers might be off. So...

1B Prince Fielder, $30 ;-D
2B Jason Kipnis, $3 ;-D
3B Brett Lawrie, $3 ;-D
SS Manny Machado $3 (I know he won't have SS eligibility, unless he regains it) ;-D
OF Wil Myers $3 ;-D
OF Starling Marte $3 :-t I don't have confidence in Marte to be mixed league relevant. High strikeout rates with not a ton of power is a bad combination.
OF Adam Jones $31 ;-D I'd go for it; like you said, you need another good bat and that's the right price to see if he can maintain his improvements.

SP Felix Hernandez $25 ;-D
SP Madison Bumgarner $3 ;-D ;-D ;-D
SP Shaun Marcum $5, or Ian Kennedy $14, or Dan Straily $4 - of those three, I might take Straily if only because Kennedy is overpriced and I did NOT like what I saw from Marcum last year.

I've also got a $24 Yadier Molina :-t hell no, $11 Alcides Escobar :-t , and $5 Nick Castellanos ;-D he's going to be a stud to choose from but the ones I listed are my current keepers heading into next year.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 66)

Postby MaudDib » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:32 pm

KSChris wrote:Well I wouldn't be relying on those guys to start, but at those prices I can keep them an still land some good starters in the draft is my thinking.

I'm high on Myers in particular. Don't really want to deal him.

I think we are on the same page then and you have a good group of guys. Myers is the best of those three guys IMO. There is a lot more hype around Machado then I think there should be and I might see about dealing him if you can get something good in return. I think he is still a year or two away from being useful, kind of in the same vein as Matt Wieters but with maybe a little more production each year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions