Royals acquire Santana - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Royals acquire Santana

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Royals acquire Santana

Postby Element » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:17 pm

... or this gives them someone that could hold considerably more value at the trade deadline than what they just gave up if he does rebound. Worth the risk to me.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Santana and Haren each had $12M options, so it's strange to see a complete lack of interest in Dan Haren. How bad is his injury?? His upside is obviously much higher than Santana's. Could be a nice one year bargain if a team can pick him up for $10M.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Santana and Haren each had $12M options, so it's strange to see a complete lack of interest in Dan Haren. How bad is his injury?? His upside is obviously much higher than Santana's. Could be a nice one year bargain if a team can pick him up for $10M.

Completely shocked on Haren. He has the most upside of the two and I would have thought someone would take a gamble on him. I would have thought there would be a lot of teams that would be fine paying a year deal to see if he can bounce back. Seems like something the A's or Padres are fine doing.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Tavish » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm somewhat torn on the deal. I'm not a big believer that Santana will recover in a big fashion and doubt that he will be worth the $13M contract. But the chances the Royals would be able to entice any free agent with anywhere near the same upside for $13m is extremely low and this should spell the end of the Hochevar era with the Royals. Not a great move but its fairly hard to see it working out anywhere near as bad as the Sanchez "hope for the best" move from last season. Assuming the Royals can find a decent common-ground with Guthrie and Duffy and Paulino are healthy heading into the season the staff has much more potential this season than what was there last year. They are still looking at a bunch of #3 at best type starters that you hope are at least able to pitch at the #4 level.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 pm

Tavish wrote:I'm somewhat torn on the deal. I'm not a big believer that Santana will recover in a big fashion and doubt that he will be worth the $13M contract. But the chances the Royals would be able to entice any free agent with anywhere near the same upside for $13m is extremely low and this should spell the end of the Hochevar era with the Royals. Not a great move but its fairly hard to see it working out anywhere near as bad as the Sanchez "hope for the best" move from last season. Assuming the Royals can find a decent common-ground with Guthrie and Duffy and Paulino are healthy heading into the season the staff has much more potential this season than what was there last year. They are still looking at a bunch of #3 at best type starters that you hope are at least able to pitch at the #4 level.

When I saw the deal I thought this was the same type of move with a bit better chance of success. Still don't see it working out well for the Royals.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby chargerss24 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:17 am

So long as David Glass is owning the Royals, don't expect him to make any sort of big FA splash or even sign our current prospect to long term contracts.

Walmart's slogan is "Save Money. Live Better." David Glass is living by those words to the letter. :-/
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24