Changing League Settings - Keeper League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Changing League Settings - Keeper League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Changing League Settings - Keeper League

Postby dsd10988 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:22 am

Would appreciate any feedback.

The h2h dynasty keeper league I'm in has minimum innings pitched at 20 IP/week. We have 1 owner whose strategy is to start all relievers plus 1 or 2 SP to just reach the minimum innings pitched amount (20-25). Therefore, he punts wins and ks pretty much every week and does very well in era/whip/saves for the most part. In addition to having one of the top 2 or 3 offenses in the league because doesn't invest in SP.

This person didn't dominate the league (finished 4th overall), but won the playoffs and championship for 2nd year in a row using this strategy. The league wants to change the rules because of him to a minimum of 30 IP/week. It looks like an unanimous vote to do this except for the 1 guy who benefits from 20. Do you think it is fair to the league to make the change?

Any similar scenarios like this where a team takes advantage of a loophole in the league settings and league votes to change the settings, but its not fair since the team in question already built his team around that strategy? How would you handle this if you were the commish?

Thank you
dsd10988
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Changing League Settings - Keeper League

Postby bigmck » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:35 pm

The league that I ran this year, (yearly redraft - not dynasty) had that problem. It was ten innings a week and we had a guy that drafted all relievers. I am changing it to 4 starts a week instead of innings. == In your case, since it is a dynasty league, things are a bit different. If all except him want the change, you have to abide by what the league wants. He might quit the league, but that is not your fault.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Element » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:47 pm

I discredit the other owners in the league that didn't implement a similar strategy. It's things like this that make each league unique. I am in a dynasty league (roto) with a low(er) IP cap. You basically WANT to find relievers with SP eligibility to lower ratios while staying under your IP max. Then you want 2-3 reliable starters. If all of my leagues where the same what would be the point?

If your league wants to make the change anyway why not require a certain amount of starts per week (if possible)? I don't play in H2H so I'm not sure what that number would be, but I've heard others using a similar format. It could work the other way too where you max the starts so someone doesn't kill everyone in K's and W's every week.

Another option would be to get rid of a "P" spot and use "SP". This way the owner would be forced to use someone that qualifies as a SP.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)

Postby fast dogs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 am

In the leagues I commish when we vote on possible rule changes the voting decides the new rules. We don't vote on much and we don't make big changes but once the discussion is over and the voting begins thats the new rule.
I'd think the owner who won would come back again; it might not be "fair to him" but all he has to do is mix in 1 more SP per week to get to his innings. Generally owners that win come back again; if he leaves thats 1 owner gone which probably is about average in a keeper league.Not making the change once you've voted on it probly does more damage than making the adjustment to 10 more innings. I think your league over-reacted to a team that finished 4th and happened to win the playoffs. Now that its done and has been put to a vote I think you make the switch and keep the league together
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby dsd10988 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:43 am

Thank you guys. Still not sure which idea I'll recommend, but I do think you guys are right that if the league unanimously votes for a change then something has to be done. Maybe just a 5 IP increase as a compromise will keep everyone happy.
dsd10988
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Goatrider » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:08 pm

That's a craptastic and boring strategy anyways. The league says 30ip, then that's what it is. To me "fantasy" baseball is fun when it simulates the real thing and who wants a roster full of Jason Grillis?
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby mkultra » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Kudos to the guy who figured out how to maximize the system for his benefit. For better or worse, that's how the game is played. I do sympathize, though, with the other managers who would rather play with big-name aces than high-ratio relievers.

I don't see a problem with changing the rules, but I think it's ALWAYS a good strategy in keeper leagues to delay implementing major rule changes like this for one season after approval. Basically, the rule stays put in 2013 and goes into effect in 2014, so that everyone has an opportunity to draft/trade/acquire in preparation for the New Normal.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby americanleagueroto » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:49 pm

mkultra wrote: I think it's ALWAYS a good strategy in keeper leagues to delay implementing major rule changes like this for one season after approval. Basically, the rule stays put in 2013 and goes into effect in 2014, so that everyone has an opportunity to draft/trade/acquire in preparation for the New Normal.

Agreed 1000%

;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:26 pm

mkultra wrote:I don't see a problem with changing the rules, but I think it's ALWAYS a good strategy in keeper leagues to delay implementing major rule changes like this for one season after approval. Basically, the rule stays put in 2013 and goes into effect in 2014, so that everyone has an opportunity to draft/trade/acquire in preparation for the New Normal.

Yup. Unless there is unanimous support for a rules change like this, I typically delay it a full year in my keeper league.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Return to Commissioner's Corner