Dodgers re-sign Brandon League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dodgers re-sign Brandon League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dodgers re-sign Brandon League

Postby ayebatter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:32 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
Which basically equates to Colletti being bad at his job.

Nah it was a good move, over paying for League is going to force the Giants to lose Affledt, the way I see it Colletti is paying League the same $5 million he was getting this year, and an extra $2.5 million to see the Giants lose Affeldt. ;-D

If Colletti wanted to force the Giants to lose Affeldt they could have offered him the contract first. Then not only do we lose him but he goes to the hated Dodgers and he's a better pitcher than League to boot.

Affeldt is 34 yrs old, paying him 7.5 mil when he will be 37/8 is more foolhardy than giving in to League.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:42 am

ayebatter wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
ayebatter wrote:

Nah it was a good move, over paying for League is going to force the Giants to lose Affledt, the way I see it Colletti is paying League the same $5 million he was getting this year, and an extra $2.5 million to see the Giants lose Affeldt. ;-D

If Colletti wanted to force the Giants to lose Affeldt they could have offered him the contract first. Then not only do we lose him but he goes to the hated Dodgers and he's a better pitcher than League to boot.

Affeldt is 34 yrs old, paying him 7.5 mil when he will be 37/8 is more foolhardy than giving in to League.

he's 33 which means it'd go through his age 35/36 season. obviously it's silly, but it makes about as much sense as giving league 3 years.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:05 am

This is terrible. They're already trying to get rid of Ethier. I get that they have an unlimited budget but this is akin to flushing $20M down the toilet. Was Colletti just bored?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:21 am

overreaction?

in 2011 League had 2.79 ERA, 1.08 WHIP with 37 saves on a Seattle team that only had 67 wins.
as for K/9. Jim Johnson lead all of baseball with 51 saves while having 5.37 K/9. K are nice, but a pitcher can still be effective without getting high K.

I don't know how bad the $ is because I don't really know what other closers are making in comparison. but seeing how closers can change so often I don't think a team should be paying so much money for a non elite closer. but it's not like the Dodgers are tight on money, they clearly have plenty to spend.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:55 am

Skin Blues wrote:They're already trying to get rid of Ethier.

Wrong, nothing but an unfounded rumor.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby ayebatter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:02 am

Interesting article on the new CBA rules:
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... ove-rules/

Relief pitchers are the other area where we’ll likely see significant change in strategy due to the new compensation rules. Because the Elias rating drastically overvalued relievers, they made up a disproportionate number of Type A and B free agents who received arbitration offers, as teams could essentially treat their bullpens as revolving doors and get numerous additional prospects as a result. The qualifying offer is going to remove compensation from every middle reliever in the sport, which may drive salaries up for some of the guys who have previously come with the loss of a draft pick for their new teams.

May this have impacted Colletti's decision ?
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:28 pm

Nice. I knew there was a reason I hung on to League in my contract league after he was traded. He's still got another year at $1 on my contract.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers