Dodgers re-sign Brandon League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dodgers re-sign Brandon League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dodgers re-sign Brandon League

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm

The Dodgers have re-signed reliever Brandon League, a source tells Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times (via Twitter). There's no word on the dollar amount yet but Hernandez reports that the deal is for three years (Twitter link).

8:01pm: League's deal has an average annual value of $7.5MM as well as a vesting option, according to Tim Dierkes (via Twitter).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/dodgers-re-sign-brandon-league.html
Last edited by GiantsFan14 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 851)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dodgers re-sign Brandon League

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 pm

And yes, three-years for a mediocre reliever is absolutely ridiculous. Especially if it ends up being $5MM+ per year.

Agent Ned strikes again.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:53 pm

I hope this isn't a stupid question. who closes next year for the Dodgers? Jansen or League.
one would have to think Jansen. but I don't think that's for sure. he didn't start 2012 as the closer, instead that was Guerra. when Jansen went down with his heart issue, League took over and was impressive with the Dodgers. League wasn't all that good in 2012 with Seattle, but was impressive before 2012.
League has what some managers like, experience.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 517)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:04 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I hope this isn't a stupid question. who closes next year for the Dodgers? Jansen or League.
one would have to think Jansen. but I don't think that's for sure. he didn't start 2012 as the closer, instead that was Guerra. when Jansen went down with his heart issue, League took over and was impressive with the Dodgers. League wasn't all that good in 2012 with Seattle, but was impressive before 2012.

I would assume that if Jansen is healthy it's him. If it's not, then it wouldn't surprise me if League loses it to him anyways.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 pm

$7.5MM a year LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I know it seems like the Dodgers have unlimited money now. But seriously LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I didn't think it could get any better than the Giants winning the world series. Thank you Ned.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:09 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:I hope this isn't a stupid question. who closes next year for the Dodgers? Jansen or League.

I would assume that if Jansen is healthy it's him. If it's not, then it wouldn't surprise me if League loses it to him anyways.

Guess not.

Ned Colletti said Brandon League was re-signed to be the closer. "That's the role," Colletti said. "That's where we'll start."
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby Element » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm

%-6
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:52 pm

this is what rotoworld says.
Dodgers signed RHP Brandon League to a three-year, $22.5 million contract extension with a vesting option for 2016.
His $7.5 million option for 2016 will vest if he finishes 55 games in 2015. Not only are the Dodgers overpaying League, but general manager Ned Colletti says they're viewing him as their closer over Kenley Jansen. It's surprising given that Jansen has clearly been a better pitcher over the last two and a half seasons, but perhaps they remain concerned about Jansen's heart issue. League converted all six save chances for the Dodgers down the stretch this year while posting a 2.30 ERA and striking out a batter per inning.

this is interesting for fantasy purposes. if Jansen was to close I would think he could be one of the top closers in baseball. if he's not closing to open the season, but could be someone expected to take over if/when League fails.. someone could get a great bargain in Jansen based on where he would be drafted. or one could reach for Jansen expecting him to close, and he never does.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 517)

Postby kab21 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 pm

wth are the Dodgers doing?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:20 pm

kab21 wrote:wth are the Dodgers doing?

GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers