1 year of Sandoval or 4 of Machado? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

1 year of Sandoval or 4 of Machado?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1 year of Sandoval or 4 of Machado?

Postby fast dogs » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:17 pm

I play in 5 year contract leagues and Pablo has been on my team for the last 4 years. His average went down and he's only played 2/3 of the year the last 2. I was all ready to make the switch to Machado @3rd base for next year and take a small hit in my 2013 for the good of the long term.Now Pablo's post season as me wondering if I'm jumping the gun. I was super impressed by Machado but he could be in for some growing pains and could turn out to be a poor keeper if thats the case.We do have corner and 3rd and the contracts don't restart if traded. Machado will only have 3rd base elig starting the season and I could possibly keep both tho I prefer to go a different direction and just start with 1 3rd basemen. Which 1? (5X5 roto)
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 1 year of Sandoval or 4 of Machado?

Postby MaudDib » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Of the two I would keep Sandoval. Why he wasn't healthy, he still put up solid numbers which is not something I expect from Machado. Maybe I would keep both but I think i would just try and get Machado back in the draft and restart the 4 year clock.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Element » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:21 pm

MaudDib wrote:Of the two I would keep Sandoval. Why he wasn't healthy, he still put up solid numbers which is not something I expect from Machado. Maybe I would keep both but I think i would just try and get Machado back in the draft and restart the 4 year clock.

;-D
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Machado, by a huge margin.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Goatrider » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:00 pm

If you keep one, I'd go Machado. Expanded role next year and four years of high upside. I agree with the expected growing pains. That's why I'd keep both. Anchor w/ Panda. CI with Machado and make the transition next year with more information. IMO for what is worth.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby kaiser » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:00 am

Muchado. Don't let the Series sway you. Look at the long-term picture. You already know that he is the right option.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:12 am

I am going to make another pitch to keep Pablo. I assume you are in fantasy baseball to win now and that is what you would be doing by keeping Sandoval. Machado has a ton of potential but so many prospects bust or take years to become fantasy relevant so I just don't see the benefit you would get by keeping Machado. Plus you know he will be available in the later part of the draft so why keep someone that you can easily get back later or even keep. Machado still has some growing up to do before he is worth starting on a regular basis.
Last edited by MaudDib on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby rjforlife » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:04 am

I'm going with Machado. He had a very impressive showing in his first 191 ABs, and he could very easily move up from there next year. He could also go the Hosmer route and do a nosedive, but that's the fun of prospects, watching and waiting to see if they become Mike Trout or Eric Hosmer. With four years of Machado vs. only one with Pablo, I'd be willing to take a small gamble on Machado.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby fast dogs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm usually anti-prospects in most of these posts; sticking with the proven player instead. Always been a Pablo fan it'll be tough letting him go if thats the route I take. Something about Machado that caught my eye tho, making this a tough call for me. This league isn't prospect crazy but being able to secure a guy for the next 5 years will bump him up in the draft several rounds ahead of single season drafts. 'You can always redraft him later' in the draft is true, however it isn't real likely with so many owners so high on Machado already. Appreciate the replies, these insights really helped me see my own keeper choices more clearly in a different league. This 1 I might be on the fence all offseason
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:17 pm

Machado is the better value.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions