Trade offered for Price - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade offered for Price

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade offered for Price

Postby Surfs up » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:50 am

I just ook over an AL only team. I was offered J. Profar and Hosmer for David Price.
Hosmer is 5.00 in his last year but I can add extra years at 5.00 per year.If he is not extended before the draft he goes back to the draft pool for the 2014 season.
Profar is still a minor leaguer. And remains so until he is activated at which time he becomes 5.00. He is 5.00 for three years unless at the end of the second year gets an extention. Extentions must be put on players before the start of the third year or they can't be extended.
Price was extended by his previous owner for three extra years. He can be kept this year and next at 20.00
He also has Machado at 5.00 and Middlebrooks at 5.00 . Both remain 5.00 going into their second season.
Quesions or thoughts?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade offered for Price

Postby Goatrider » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Hey man,

I am in a similar position with Kershaw in a NL Only. I don't think this is enough for Price. In league specific formats, aces truly act as aces on your fantasy squad. With two years of value control, I think you need an additional piece of ML level talent. Hosmer is good. But after this year, I would not be willing to extend him more than 2 years at the $10. Unless you have full faith in him in a buy-low situation. Profar is ranked by most as #1 prospect and is a nice rebuild piece. However, so early in the offseason, we don't have an idea about playing time. That would make me want another controllable piece. Nothing huge, just an everyday productive player at a value. Might even want to go for an extra pick too. It's a good start though.

Thoughts on mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=452456
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Agree with the Goat. You are not getting enough value for a top-10 ace like Price.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby Element » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:33 pm

If you could get him to add Machado I would do it. As it stands I would want a bit more.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 693)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:52 pm

I would keep Price. I really like Hosmer but I wouldn't be surprised if the other owner let Hosmer go back into the draft at which point you could get him yourself. Price keeps getting better and he could dominate for the next 3 years and I think you have to keep him for that price.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks for all your help everybody. The other owner traded Hosmer for Brett Gardner and Grady Sizemore. I really like Price. I was about to ask the other owner to include Machardo when I got his note saying he traed him.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goatrider » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:27 am

Probably better off. I would still shop him this offseason. Just ask the moon. That one piece could go a long way to putting together a long-term rebuild.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby rjforlife » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 am

Price should command top 5 pitcher value if you continue to look to trade him. While it's true there is a lot of young pitching talent right now, I would have to say that Price and Kershaw are the two super-elite guys. Strasburg is sexy but Price and Kershaw are still ahead of him in my book. Only Verlander stands above them. With a decent price like that, you should be getting very elite prospects and decent guys to play right away.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby Surfs up » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:44 am

I'm trying to get Myers ( KC prospect ) Thinking of offering Price and asking for Myers and Salvador Perez ( 2.00 ) Perez will be 2.00 again this season .But after 2013 I will either have to extend him at 5.00 per year or let him walk after the 2014 season. he would still be 2.00 in 2014 . Myers is still Minor league statis and I can protect him without using him as one of my 8 keepers unless he starts the season on the major league roster. Once he does he will be 5.00 . He will stay 5.00 for two years . at the end of the second year he can be extended at 5.00 per year. Price is 20.00 and can be kept two years. He was already extended.
Not enough for Price? or am I asking too much? AL only 12 teams . standard 5x5 . We can keep up to 8 players.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MaudDib » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 am

Surfs up wrote:I'm trying to get Myers ( KC prospect ) Thinking of offering Price and asking for Myers and Salvador Perez ( 2.00 ) Perez will be 2.00 again this season .But after 2013 I will either have to extend him at 5.00 per year or let him walk after the 2014 season. he would still be 2.00 in 2014 . Myers is still Minor league statis and I can protect him without using him as one of my 8 keepers unless he starts the season on the major league roster. Once he does he will be 5.00 . He will stay 5.00 for two years . at the end of the second year he can be extended at 5.00 per year. Price is 20.00 and can be kept two years. He was already extended.
Not enough for Price? or am I asking too much? AL only 12 teams . standard 5x5 . We can keep up to 8 players.

Not IMO. I don't like trading stud players for prospects unless you can't keep the stud player. Price is at a bargain price and should command something better in return then a couple of good players. It is very likely that Myers doesn't start producing at an all-star level for another two or three years so why trade a guy who is at the top of his game for someone who won't help you for a while.

Don't get sucked into the prospect thing. Every year one or two prospects produce at an all-star level be we rarely know which one will do it and whether it will last. Price himself was that guy a few years ago and it took him a couple years to start returning on the investment. Or look at Brett Lawrie, Eric Hosmer or Jason Heward. All had one good year, then failed the next year and these are the successes. Then you have someone like Matt Moore who will probably be an elite pitcher at some point but if you traded for him last year, it would have been a bad move.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions