Keeper Talk Time WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper Talk Time WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Talk Time WHIR!

Postby KSig24 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:24 am

10 team league Yahoo 5x5 with R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP with 8 keepers. 3 players can be franchised and kept more than 3 year max. The other 5 keepers can only be kept for a max of 3 years and must be franchised, traded or sent back to the draft pool.

My eligible keepers with years kept in parenthesis:

Cutch (3)
Kinsler (3)
Wright (3)
Felix (3)
Holliday (3)
Jones (1)
Desmond (0)
Austin Jackson (just traded my 7th pick for him and never been kept)
Sale (0)
Heyward (2)
Hosmer (1)

I was originally going to franchise Cutch, Wright and Kinsler and trade Felix. The recent addition of AJax pretty much has me giving up Hosmer which I dont know if that is all the smart of an idea.

What are your thoughts on me trading away Wright and Felix for a high draft pick each and try to obtain Goldschmidt for a pick? I feel like he could be someone that could be on the verge of becoming elite. I could also keep Hosmer.

I feel like Wright is a sexy name, but his production at the CI position isnt what I need in order to be dominant.

Thanks for your help!
KSig24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Talk Time WHIR!

Postby kaiser » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:25 pm

I think you'll have difficulty getting god value for Wright. Even though he played well this season, I think that experienced fantasy players understand that he is no longer top-tier.

I think you've picked the right three to franchise, so you move Felix for a solid draft pick and grab Goldschmidt if you can (I'm confused by your keeper rules). If you can hold onto Hosmer, do it. Between Hosmer and Goldschmidt, I think Hosmer has the higher fantasy potential.

I don't know if I've helper here or not, because I'm not sure if I am following your questions and convoluted keeper rules always confuse me. but good luck.

AEKDB?
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 443)

Postby KSig24 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:16 pm

A2B bro.

My leagues keeper rules are a bit different and they just changed too. Originally we drafted and any player taken after the sixth round was eligible to be kept for a maximum of eight keepers total. Our inaugural draft had me grab Mauer, Wright, Utley, Andruw, Wells, Morneau, Verlander and some other busts, not bad to build upon. Originally these players could be kept indefinitely, but the recent chance has us now being able to still keep eight players, but only three can be franchised or kept for more than three years. Therefore, the building I have done over the past few seasons was all for not, Pedroia, Wright, Felix, Holliday, Kinsler, Cutch are now merely players that I have to choose three from instead of being able to dominate the league with years of precision trading.

So due to the new rules I traded Pedroia for Hosmer and a pick, but Hosmer's season has me down on him in a total non-sexual way. I'ma flippin' Area Scout for the Royals for God sakes!!! Now Hosmer doesnt even have a spot on my team now with the recent acquisition of AJax who I love.

The rules are now as follows red for a player who must be kept, traded or sent back to the draft pool, orange is a player kept twice, and green is a player who has been kept once. I have to choose three red to franchise or make some trades. I landed Sale in the keeper rounds last season and he did exactly what I wanted him to do and I like him going forward. Being that this will be the first year that players in the red go back to the draft pool, there should be a little more to choose from rather than taking Uggla and Greinke in the first round due to how shallow the draft pool is.

Today I was offered the 4th overall pick, the managers first keeper round pick, two twelfth rounders and two football players (cross-platform trade) for Wright and Felix! I could snag Verlander with the 4th pick and land a bat with the 9th overall pick.

My question is did I make a good move in acquiring AJax for my 7th rounder? 7th round is really like the 7th round minus 80 of the top players so its more of a value to me if that makes sense. Also, do I make the move to land Goldschmidt with the prospects of him becoming elite and tapping into the power or do I hang on to Hosmer?

My concern is that I will pretty much have my offense set with these moves and being that the pool is as shallow as it is there isnt really anything elite going back other than Miggy, Cano, Pujols, Grandy, and Tex so I could just stack up pitching.

My team would take shape with:

C -
1B - Goldy
2B - Kinsler
SS - Desmond
3B -
IF -
OF - Cutch
OF - Jones
OF - Heyward
OF - AJax
UT -
UT -

SP - Sale

I would have 4th, 9th, 12th, 29, 32 overall early picks to do damage with. These picks last year were: Uggla, Greinke, Crawford, Romero, and Aramis.

I would also have three picks in the 12th round.

Thoughts?
KSig24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kaiser » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Epsilon Omega chapter, Georgia State, 1989

I would absolutely do that Wright/Felix deal. You replace Felix with the even better Verlander, and then you can use the other pick to bag so done similar or perhaps even stronger upside than Wright.

I think you made a good move with the 7th pick for Austin. As you said, it is actually the 87th pick, and he'll go higher than that in the new season. Perhaps not a lot higher, but I wou,d guess adp will be around the sixth round.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 443)

Postby MaudDib » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:56 am

So many thoughts and like Kaiser a little confused so hopefully this all makes sense.

Not sure I like the trade of Felix and Wright. While Verlander is better than Felix I am not sure the difference plus picks equals Wright. With cross platform picks being in their, it adds a little confusion to how good of a deal it is as well. Also with your getting the 4th pick that you say you can grab Verlander with but is that a sure thing? What happens if Verlander get taken before your pick, who else might you be able to get?

I am not sold on Goldshmidt either. He strikes out too much and I am not sure he will be able to vault himself into an elite category. Hosmer has all the tools to make that jump at some point but I am not sure if that will happen this year or not. I think letting Hosmer go back into the draft is fine because after the season he had, you would have a much easier time getting him back. At which point you would then be able to keep him another 3 years, correct?

After saying all that, I am wavering on the trade and maybe it is worth doing. Feels like you should be able to trade Jennings and Jones for an upgrade player. Maybe move Holliday to a team that doesn't have good franchise players for picks?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby rjforlife » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 am

I'm too stupid to figure all this out, I'd just say that I would take the Felix deal. The cross sport thing makes it really really tough to assign value, but if you can secure Verlander or better with that 4th overall pick, it makes sense to me to make the deal.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby KSig24 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:46 pm

kaiser wrote:Epsilon Omega chapter, Georgia State, 1989

I would absolutely do that Wright/Felix deal. You replace Felix with the even better Verlander, and then you can use the other pick to bag so done similar or perhaps even stronger upside than Wright.

I think you made a good move with the 7th pick for Austin. As you said, it is actually the 87th pick, and he'll go higher than that in the new season. Perhaps not a lot higher, but I wou,d guess adp will be around the sixth round.

Jackson actually ends up being 167th pick becuase of the 80 keepers. I am about to land Goldschmidt with the 140th pick. Do I make the move?
KSig24
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions