Looking for keeper help: ALL HELP RETURNED - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Looking for keeper help: ALL HELP RETURNED

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking for keeper help: ALL HELP RETURNED

Postby kaiser » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 pm

10-team H2H keeper. Standard ESPN rosters. No limit on how long you can keep a player. We keep a maximum of five.

My first three keepers are no-brainers, IMO. They are Miguel Cabrera ($38), Robinson Cano ($19) and Joey Votto ($30).

Where I get into trouble is with my last two keepers. I have four candidates. Listing them with their values:

Albert Pujols ($46)
Jay Bruce ($31)
Gio Gonzalez ($15)
Victor Martinez ($4)

After subtracting the costs of my first three, I am starting the draft with a budget of $188 (from an original $300).

The question is which two do I keep? I grabbed VMart off of the wire thinking he would be a nice almost-free keeper. But at least two of these four needs to go back. Is Pujols now overpriced? Is Bruce? Is Gio a value at $15? Who gets cut?

Please leave a link for help gladly returned.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking for keeper help: ALL HELP RETURNED

Postby MaudDib » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:38 pm

I think I would keep Gio and VMart though keep an ear out and make sure VMart is fully healthy. If you hear anything about him not being 100%, I think I take a safer player. I think Gio is the easiest to keep of the four. There will still be questions on whether he can repeat this years numbers but at $15, you can't let him go.

I do think Pujols is over priced now. Could depend on what top players usually go for in your league but $46 is a lot for a guy who is no longer a lock to have a .320/35/100/100 season.

Bruce is probably not over priced but he isn't coming at a discount either. I would be surprised if he didn't go at a similar price at auction.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby astav28 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:41 pm

I think your math is off on that budget: 300-38 (M-Cab) - 19 (Cano) - 30 (Votto)= -87=Start with $213

I'd definitely keep Gio--I think that's fair value and your hitting is already going to be monster with your 4 hitting keepers...so now you're at 213-15=198

Next one is really tough...Pujols clearly better than Bruce still, but at this point I look at their Runs, HR, RBI as pretty similar--so it's basically do you want to keep Pujols for an extra $15 to get +30-50 points of average. It's a tough call but I don't think Pujols ends up being worth 1.5 times Bruce especially when you already have 1B filled with Votto.

So take Bruce (198-31)= 167 Left of your budget to draft the rest of your roster

Help?
viewtopic.php?t=452437
astav28
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kaiser » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:51 pm

MaudDib wrote:I think Gio is the easiest to keep of the four. There will still be questions on whether he can repeat this years numbers but at $15, you can't let him go.

This is interesting to me. I originally only included the bats in my post, but then went back and added Gio as an afterthought. I hadn't really considered him as a possible keeper, but the more I think about it, the more the idea appeals to me.

MaudDib wrote:I do think Pujols is over priced now. Could depend on what top players usually go for in your league but $46 is a lot for a guy who is no longer a lock to have a .320/35/100/100 season.

Bruce is probably not over priced but he isn't coming at a discount either. I would be surprised if he didn't go at a similar price at auction.

I guess this is the crux of the issue. How much are these guys likely to go for in the draft if I toss them back. I think Pujols goes for around $40, and Bruce probably in the upper $20's.

Pujols is currently the most expensive player in the league, at $46. Next in line is Braun at $40, and then MCab, Ellsbury, Upton and AGonz at $38.

astav28 wrote:I think your math is off on that budget: 300-38 (M-Cab) - 19 (Cano) - 30 (Votto)= -87=Start with $213

The reason I got Cano at such cheap auction price is because I included $25 in auction money in a trade for him last season. $213-$25 gets me to $188.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby fast dogs » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:12 pm

I'd have trouble with the 2nd player but heres another vote for Gio as one
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Postby Element » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Gio is easy. The last pick would be VMart for me. The other two guys are priced out.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby kaiser » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:01 pm

Yeah, I gotta admit that getting a possible ace (at worst a top notch #2 SP) in Gio, along with VMart's career .303 AVG and spot in the Tigers' offense, all for a total of around $20, is very appealing to me.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby astav28 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:36 pm

My first response was misinformed in retrospect (sorry, never did an auction league). I didn't really think about the implications of being able to re-bid for players. If Bruce/Pujols are attainable for around the same price (or less) than you have them...definitely keep v-mart as 5th and send them back. I personally am not a huge Bruce fan in general...and there's no way Pujols will be the most expensive player in the league again.

So i'd amend my answer to Gio (definitely yes) and V-Mart ($4 seems like a fair gamble..has had a ton of time to get healthy)
astav28
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:42 pm

kaiser wrote:Yeah, I gotta admit that getting a possible ace (at worst a top notch #2 SP) in Gio, along with VMart's career .303 AVG and spot in the Tigers' offense, all for a total of around $20, is very appealing to me.

This is what I was seeing as well. Only thing that troubles me is that VMart has not played in over a year so again just keep an eye out for any trouble signs going into spring training. I think you can get Pujols or Bruce or a comparable player at a cheaper price than what you would have to pay to keep them. Never much fun having to throw that kind of talent back but I think your team will be better for it in the long run.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Gio and Bruce

Bruce is only 25, and really has gone 30/100 the last 2 years
He gets no respect

With only 5 keepers, you want sure things, and VMart is a huge risk, no matter the price
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions