Which pitcher to keep - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which pitcher to keep

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which pitcher to keep

Postby MaudDib » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:03 pm

fast dogs wrote:"bats over arms" will be a common desire for most owners; which is why he might be able to do better trading Harper for a pick and keeping Anderson. I think it all boils down to how good the upgraded pick is to switch to Anderson from Harper

I am not quite sure what you gain by trading Harper. If you dealt him, you should only be dealing him for a 1st round top 8 pick because of the guys he listed that should be available. Odds are pretty good that anyone with those picks aren't going to be too interested in dealing them for the exact same reason. Even then I would take Harper over Cruz, Butler, Rollins maybe Holliday and Reyes. If you could get any of the top 4 and maybe Felix, I would pull the trigger. But if you don't get a top 1st round pick then there is no reason to deal Harper.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chargerss24 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:59 am

Brett Anderson is the odd man out on your list of keepers. Keep a close eye on him though, he's not an unknown commodity. He was highly touted before TJ surgery.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby Surfs up » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Since I have two first rd picks and will be able to get two top hitters.Would you also take another hitter with the second rd or maybe see who the best pitcher is left on the board? That could be Anderson. My second rd pick would be about the 20-21 overall. Keepin mind. I don't have a 3rd round pick. I do have two 5th rd picks.
Thanks for all your help.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Surfs up wrote:Since I have two first rd picks and will be able to get two top hitters.Would you also take another hitter with the second rd or maybe see who the best pitcher is left on the board? That could be Anderson. My second rd pick would be about the 20-21 overall. Keepin mind. I don't have a 3rd round pick. I do have two 5th rd picks.
Thanks for all your help.

I wouldn't go into the draft with a set plan like that. Too many players will come off the board before you get to your 2nd round pick. I would just wait and see who is available. For the most part, you should still be in the "best player available" mode with some thoughts regarding position. Heck I am not for sure that you should be taking two hitters with two picks in the top 5. Of the guys you listed I would rank them

McCutchen
Cano
Albert
Fielder
Felix

And I would be very happy getting two of those five. There is no chance I take Reyes before Felix.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby rjforlife » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 am

Agree with Maud here, you need to just play value across the board in those opening two rounds. Just keep your guys, (Gio not Anderson), and play the draft by ear getting the best player. No reason to trade Harper either.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 765)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions