John Farrell & DCarpenter to Red Sox, Mike Aviles to Jays - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

John Farrell & DCarpenter to Red Sox, Mike Aviles to Jays

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: John Farrell & DCarpenter to Red Sox, Mike Aviles to Jay

Postby mweir145 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Skin Blues wrote:There aren't many MLB players that would have been more useless to the Blue Jays than Mike Aviles.

He still fills a need if he's employed as a platoon or utility infielder. I can name plenty that would have been more useless including a majority of the players on Boston's current roster.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Oh, I fully understand how bad shorstops typically are at hitting. However, last year Aviles was 17th out of 19 qualifying shortstops in wOBA. However you slice it, that is not "average". Overall the past 2 seasons he's 20th out of 24 shortstops in wOBA with at least 850 PAs. The only ones worse are Brendan Ryan (a defensive wizard), Clint Barmes, Ryan Theriot, and Cliff Pennington. At a position where nothing is expected of the bat, he's still damn near the bottom. He's played good SS defense but somehow at 2B and 3B he's been below average over his career. Considering Toronto already has two of the best defensive shortstops in the league, they will probably get no value out of his glove, anyway. There aren't many MLB players that would have been more useless to the Blue Jays than Mike Aviles.

It's convenient that you leave out the 11 teams that had to play multiple piles of crap at the position and didn't haven any qualify. 17 out of 30 is close to average as is his OPS (.010 below average).

I also think it's likely that the Jays dump Yunel this offseason which would make Aviles useful.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 517)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:58 am

The Red Sox take Brian Butterfield from the Pawtucket Blue Jays. I wonder if AA will be nice enough to let Lawrie join him in Boston since it seems we are starting over. Guess our IF defence will get a little worse but what difference will it make.

I'm sure that mweir will put some positive spin on this and turn it into a brilliant managerial move as he slurps AA some more.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby soxfan364 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:32 pm

At least Farrell is being allowed to chose his staff ;-D
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:The Red Sox take Brian Butterfield from the Pawtucket Blue Jays. I wonder if AA will be nice enough to let Lawrie join him in Boston since it seems we are starting over. Guess our IF defence will get a little worse but what difference will it make.

I'm sure that mweir will put some positive spin on this and turn it into a brilliant managerial move as he slurps AA some more.

I've been criticizing AA regularly and routinely for a year now. What he did last offseason was inexcusable (though I don't know how much of that is on him and how much of that is on the hopeless penny pinchers that run the team). He doesn't have that much rope with me left. My question for you is, though, after watching the last two seasons, why wouldn't you want to basically start over with a new coaching staff?

As for Butterfield, well I hope he has just as much success as a coach in Boston as he did in Toronto. Which, is to say, none.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby MashinSpuds » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Mike Aviles just got flipped to Cleveland (along with Yan Gomes) for Esmil Rogers. So THAT was the masterplan, eh Jays?
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:37 pm

I don't understand this at all.
Aviles AND Yan Gomes. Gomes alone is worth more than Rogers.
Rogers was a starter, decent in the minors. then with the Rockies, TERRIBLE as a starter. the Indians used him as a reliever, where he was good. but still, a middle reliever. ugh.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 512)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Gomes literally can't hit a breaking ball. Teams figured that out after like two games last season. He's a common depth scrub and has no MLB value to anyone.

Aviles (a utility infielder) for Rogers (a reliever) doesn't seem like anything to get upset about. At least now people can stop worrying about whether Aviles is going to start for the Jays.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby kab21 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:09 pm

It's strange that the Jays then went out and signed a 32 yr old utility infielder to a 3 yr deal after dumping a utility infielder.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 517)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:38 pm

kab21 wrote:It's strange that the Jays then went out and signed a 32 yr old utility infielder to a 3 yr deal after dumping a utility infielder.

Just part of AA's brilliant plan. Light hitting, low obp, 49 yr old utility infielders are hard to come by. I guess that he couldn't talk Vizquel out of retiring.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers