John Farrell & DCarpenter to Red Sox, Mike Aviles to Jays - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

John Farrell & DCarpenter to Red Sox, Mike Aviles to Jays

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

John Farrell & DCarpenter to Red Sox, Mike Aviles to Jays

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:44 am

According to CSN New England's Sean McAdam, the Red Sox have hired John Farrell to be their next manager.
Compensation for Toronto will be announced in the next couple of days. Farrell has already agreed to a three-year contract with the Red Sox, for whom he served as a pitching coach from 2007-2010. It's a reunion of sorts, though it'd be a shame if it turns out to be a costly one. The Blue Jays likely demanded a legitimate return.

WEEI's Rob Bradford reports that Mike Aviles is headed to the Blue Jays in exchange for manager John Farrell.
The Red Sox will get a player or cash along with their new skipper, who has already agreed to a three-year contract. Aviles, 31, batted .250/.282/.381 with 13 home runs, 14 stolen bases and 60 RBI in 136 games this past season for the Red Sox. It's a decent get for Toronto, all things considered. Farrell was 154-170 with the Jays.

Mike Aviles?!
I guess I shouldn't be surprised. a manager with only 1 year left on his contract, but I thought there was talk about getting prospects. Mike Aviles. utility infielder.

EDIT: David Carpenter headed to Red Sox.
Last edited by SpecialFNK on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: John Farrell and Adam Lind to Red Sox, Mike Aviles to Ja

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:19 pm

Aviles is a decent bat to have vs LHP and provides flexibility in the IF. Didn't Toronto (See: weir) hate Lind??
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Per Edes: https://twitter.com/GordonEdes/status/2 ... 0266645505
Adam Lind is not part of deal with Toronto, a baseball source said, putting that speculation to rest
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:50 pm

redsoxflyfishr wrote:Per Edes: https://twitter.com/GordonEdes/status/2 ... 0266645505
Adam Lind is not part of deal with Toronto, a baseball source said, putting that speculation to rest

Too bad, would have been nice to get rid of him. He's been one of the worst players in baseball three years running.

Jays still make out pretty well for a guy who was a pretty useless manager.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Re: John Farrell & DCarpenter to Red Sox, Mike Aviles to Jay

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:04 pm

I edited the title. David Carpenter headed to the Red Sox.

Red Sox acquired RHP David Carpenter and manager John Farrell from the Blue Jays in exchange for INF Mike Aviles.
It's the second time in three months that Carpenter has been dealt, as he was traded from the Astros to the Blue Jays before the deadline in a nine-player deal. A hard thrower, the 27-year-old holds a 5.70 ERA and 60/29 K/BB ratio over 60 major league innings.

I'm still a believer in Adam Lind. I think he has good power potential.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby thedude » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Aviles showed a great glove this past season. He does not have the bat to be a regular though.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:40 pm

mweir145 wrote:
redsoxflyfishr wrote:Per Edes: https://twitter.com/GordonEdes/status/2 ... 0266645505

Too bad, would have been nice to get rid of him. He's been one of the worst players in baseball three years running.

Is that the general consensus about Farrell? I had thought he was well-liked by a lot of Jays fans.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:47 pm

I liked Farrell. He did the best with what management gave him to work with and all the injuries. He was understandably upset when AA didn't get him another arm after the AS break.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:28 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Is that the general consensus about Farrell? I had thought he was well-liked by a lot of Jays fans.

Most of the Jays fans I know didn't particularly like him (and he didn't give them much reason to with his bullpen mismanagement, unnecessary bunt/steal attempts that failed more often than not, and clubhouse discord at the end of the 2012 season). He's not the worst manager in the league by any means (or even the worst manager the Jays have had this decade), but I wasn't a fan. He's more than replaceable (as basically any manager is).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:23 pm

mweir145 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Too bad, would have been nice to get rid of him. He's been one of the worst players in baseball three years running.

Most of the Jays fans I know didn't particularly like him (and he didn't give them much reason to with his bullpen mismanagement, unnecessary bunt/steal attempts that failed more often than not, and clubhouse discord at the end of the 2012 season). He's not the worst manager in the league by any means (or even the worst manager the Jays have had this decade), but I wasn't a fan. He's more than replaceable (as basically any manager is).

Fair enough. Any idea who the candidates are to replace him?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers