Krispie to the A's.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Krispie to the A's....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Krispie to the A's....

Postby Izenhart » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:18 pm

knee-jerk reaction: OMG The A's made a trade? Billy Beane is a genius!

final assessment: Billy Beane is a genius.

logic: Billy Beane is a genius.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 531)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Heath Bell is terrible. Overpaid relievers are not exactly hard to come by. Pennington is borderline-replacement level and all-field / no-hit. They found their heir to John McDonald. Overall it's a significant talent downgrade but they got a cheap arb-eligible shortstop for 3 years. That's a good way to guarantee frugal mediocrity.

The biggest winner here is clearly Miami for being able to unload $13M of dead weight. Biggest loser is Arizona for making their team significantly worse in order to save a bit of cash, and then blowing all of that cash on the aforementioned 35 year old dead-weight reliever. It's a decent deal for Oakland. They made their team a lot better for the next 2 years at the cost of an additional $10M or so.

Yup.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 812)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:09 pm

ERMAHGERD CBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:29 pm

I thought Heath Bell was terrible before it was cool. :^
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:38 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I thought Heath Bell was terrible before it was cool. :^

ya he really wasn't even very good in 2011. that contract was doomed to fail.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 812)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:32 am

I think Chris Young was misused by Arizona. he should never have batted leadoff.
he was injured in 2012 and missed games, but each of the previous 2 seasons he was 20+/20+. the AVG will likely never be good because he strikes out too much.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 512)

Postby J35J » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:27 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Heath Bell is terrible. Overpaid relievers are not exactly hard to come by. Pennington is borderline-replacement level and all-field / no-hit. They found their heir to John McDonald. Overall it's a significant talent downgrade but they got a cheap arb-eligible shortstop for 3 years. That's a good way to guarantee frugal mediocrity.

The biggest winner here is clearly Miami for being able to unload $13M of dead weight. Biggest loser is Arizona for making their team significantly worse in order to save a bit of cash, and then blowing all of that cash on the aforementioned 35 year old dead-weight reliever. It's a decent deal for Oakland. They made their team a lot better for the next 2 years at the cost of an additional $10M or so.

Yup.

+2
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Krispie to the A's....

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:47 pm

If I had to guess: cby will be solid in oak. Maybe focus more on contact as it is significantly harder to hit it out in o.co. But, the new park will help Pennington a bit. Also, I think Pennington is a bit underrated in oak's lineup in Oak's park. Zona thinks they are going to JJ putz Heath bell, which they won't. But that has nothing to do with Beane.

I think in the end it will be a wash that benefits both teams, assuming that Oakland is not completely disastrous at short next year, but I'll give Beane the benefit of the doubt on that one.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 403)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:31 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:If I had to guess: cby will be solid in oak. Maybe focus more on contact as it is significantly harder to hit it out in o.co. But, the new park will help Pennington a bit. Also, I think Pennington is a bit underrated in oak's lineup in Oak's park. Zona thinks they are going to JJ putz Heath bell, which they won't. But that has nothing to do with Beane.

I think in the end it will be a wash that benefits both teams, assuming that Oakland is not completely disastrous at short next year, but I'll give Beane the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Don't they still have Stephen Drew at short?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:If I had to guess: cby will be solid in oak. Maybe focus more on contact as it is significantly harder to hit it out in o.co. But, the new park will help Pennington a bit. Also, I think Pennington is a bit underrated in oak's lineup in Oak's park. Zona thinks they are going to JJ putz Heath bell, which they won't. But that has nothing to do with Beane.

Don't they still have Stephen Drew at short?

Drew is potentially a free agent. there is $10 MIL mutual option, with $1.35 MIL buyout. I'm guessing he gets bought out, but I'm not sure how mutual options work. can Drew himself accept his part of the option?
can Jemile Weeks play SS? last I read Scott Sizemore is moving back to 2B and will compete for the 2B job in spring training. I think it also mentioned Josh Donaldson as the projected starting 3B next year.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 512)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers