Who would you keep CC or RA?

Postby Skimo77 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm in a standard 12 team 5x5 roto league and I'm for sure keeping :

1B/3B Edwin Encarnaceon
SS Starlin Castro
OF Ryan Braun
OF Matt Kemp
SP Cliff Lee

My final keeper spot up for grabs is between CC Sabathia and RA Dickey... I know it's early but for shits and giggles who would you guys keep? I'm leaning towards CC, but I wanna pick RA ;-D
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who would you keep CC or RA?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Sabathia
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby ChefBoyRG54 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 pm

because i am listening to Tigers/Yanks game 4 right now i want to say RA..... :-b

but CC is the real deal, RA prob flash in the pan
Pete Rose for President

ChefBoyRG54
ChefBoyRG54
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby fast dogs » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:43 am

Dickey was a great story that will be a tough act to follow. I think his last 5 starts is a decent indication as to what his 13 might hold in store.CC's your guy
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:31 am

RA would be fun, but CC is the easy choice.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby MaudDib » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:27 am

I don't really like either. For some reason I am worried about CC and just how good he will be moving forward. Any chance you can deal both for something else. I would even be ok dealing for a younger guy that might be ranked lower than these two but has a ton of upside like Cain, Darvish or Bumgarner.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:38 am

I dunno what upside Cain has, he is who he is. Bumgarner is scary, with terrible late season work to the point where the Giants would rather throw Zito than him !+)

Darvish is intriguing, but if we are talking upside, Dickey really has the most, and all he would have to do is repeat or come close to repeating to realize it. CC was my choice because he is a safe bet, I'd rather have Dickey than a lot of other pitchers if we are just talking about potential and upside.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby Skimo77 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks guys, I know it's tough predicting aging pitchers... but I do agree CC seems like the logical dicision, but if RA pitches next year anywhere near to his '12 numbers and I cut him loose I'm going to want to shoot myself. CC's numbers are trending slightly downward, while RA is trending upwards. RA's past few seasons have been solid, just his K rate spiked big time this year... Thanks for the input guys! I'm sure I'll be asking the same question come March! ;-D
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:48 am

rjforlife wrote:I dunno what upside Cain has, he is who he is. Bumgarner is scary, with terrible late season work to the point where the Giants would rather throw Zito than him !+)

Darvish is intriguing, but if we are talking upside, Dickey really has the most, and all he would have to do is repeat or come close to repeating to realize it. CC was my choice because he is a safe bet, I'd rather have Dickey than a lot of other pitchers if we are just talking about potential and upside.

A lot of this is gut feeling so I don't have much to back what I am saying BUT I worry about CC as he is over that age 32 where you start seeing a decline in both health and production. It might end up being a year early but I would rather trade him now and get close to full price for him and be a year late than hold on to him and see a season like Halladay happen to him. It is just a matter of time because we know it will happen we just don't know when.

Dickey is just different. No one understands how is he is doing what he is doing and I would rather not touch him. He is well into that age group where production and health will always be a concern even though his stuff is easier on the arm. The real problem is that knuckballers aren't this successful so you have to wonder how long he can keep it up.

I still think Cain has upside. He has yet to be a 20 game winner or throw 200 K and I think both are possible for him. He might not do it but I think he is at that age where we see a lot of pitchers move into the Ace grouping and he has had a lot of success that says he could take that step. Bumgarner has some worries but he is also very young and has had a ton of success in the first couple years. He could easily be a top 10 guy in the next 2-3 years. I think Darvish has the most upside of all three. First year, he already has a 200K season. He had a lot of growing pains this year but he worked through them and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a perennial top 10 pitcher for years to come.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Skimo77 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:57 am

Yeah MaudDib, I feel the same way about CC. He worries me big time, he's a big guy who's been a horse and he's starting to age. RA i'm not worried about injury concerns, just if he turns into a Wakefield type for the rest of his career, a much better real life player than fantasy.

If you were given a trade of dealing CC for RA would you take it right now?

My only other pitchers that I could keep are Adam Wainwright or Jordan Zimmerman, and I don't think either of them are in the keeper category yet, though they are close!
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions