Alex Rodriguez could be traded to Miami Marlins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex Rodriguez could be traded to Miami Marlins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Alex Rodriguez could be traded to Miami Marlins

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:34 pm

mweir145 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:he still has name value and that could help attendance.
I don't think it's a bad move for Miami if NY is picking up a huge chunk of the contract. ARod could still put up decent numbers for Miami based on how much Miami would be paying him.

I wondered about the future of ARod even before this story came out. the other night when ARod was sitting on the bench late in the game the Yankees looked to have no interest in using ARod to pinch hit, and the announcer even talked about how ARod looked to have no interest to pinch hit himself either. I think it was the announcer then who said ARod has checked out.

Sounds like an idiot announcer, I'm guessing Sutcliffe.

at the time in that game it was still 2-0 late in the game. ARod was shown sitting on the bench. the announced commented that if the Yankees had interest in using ARod as a pinch hitter or if ARod wanted to pinch hit he would be down in the cage getting loose/staying loose. makes sense, unless Arod isn't healthy. a healthy ARod can still hit one out.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:36 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:he still has name value and that could help attendance.
I don't think it's a bad move for Miami if NY is picking up a huge chunk of the contract. ARod could still put up decent numbers for Miami based on how much Miami would be paying him.

I wondered about the future of ARod even before this story came out. the other night when ARod was sitting on the bench late in the game the Yankees looked to have no interest in using ARod to pinch hit, and the announcer even talked about how ARod looked to have no interest to pinch hit himself either. I think it was the announcer then who said ARod has checked out.

Sounds like an idiot announcer, I'm guessing Sutcliffe.

at the time in that game it was still 2-0 late in the game. ARod was shown sitting on the bench. the announced commented that if the Yankees had interest in using ARod as a pinch hitter or if ARod wanted to pinch hit he would be down in the cage getting loose/staying loose. makes sense, unless Arod isn't healthy. a healthy ARod can still hit one out.

ARod mentioned yesterday that he was in the cage from like the 5th inning on taking swings.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby wrveres » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:34 pm

Boston has roster and cap space. It wouldn't be the first time that Florida traded for a star and then turned around and moved him again. Personally I think it would be sweet justice to see Arod finish out his career destroying the Yankees on the Yankees nickle.
That's what I want to see. How do we make the spoiled chits of New York pay.
Last edited by wrveres on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby jfg » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:39 pm

That would be awesome. I hate the Sox more than I hate the Yankees, but that would be so awesome.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Re: Re: Alex Rodriguez could be traded to Miami Marlins

Postby wrveres » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:02 pm

jfg wrote:That would be awesome. I hate the Sox more than I hate the Yankees, but that would be so awesome.

I know right?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Re: Re: Alex Rodriguez could be traded to Miami Marlins

Postby Izenhart » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:35 pm

wrveres wrote:
jfg wrote:That would be awesome. I hate the Sox more than I hate the Yankees, but that would be so awesome.

I know right?

Fun to speculate on stuff but it won't happen.

As a boston who lives in the area I can tell you there would be almost zero interest in Arod. We like Middlebrooks and don't see Arod as a big enough upgrade for his salary or baggage. The Sox just dumped a lot of dead weight in salaries - I can't see them taking any more dead weight on just because they have the room.

We don't like Arod, don't want him, and I'm pretty sure Arod would be smart enough to veto any trade trying to send him our way anyhow.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Alex Rodriguez said that he has no plans to waive his no-trade clause this offseason.
A report earlier Thursday from Bob Nightengale of USA Today said A-Rod wouldn't block a trade, but evidently that's not the case. At least not at this time, anyway. "That's correct," Rodriguez said. "I will be back. I have a lot to prove." A-Rod has been in decline for five straight seasons and has $114 million left on his contract, so he's nearly impossible to deal even if he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause.

what I would expect him to say as a current member of the New York Yankees.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:15 pm

jfg wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Even this year's ARod wasn't anywhere near bad enough to be a bench player. He put up 2.2 WAR in 122 games.

That's true. With the regression and distractions though, I don't think he'll ever be able to put up even those numbers in NY again, and even if he does it won't be enough for NY fans. The question is, would the numbers he put up this year stop him from getting booed in a different city once the welcome wears off? I think any fans outside of NY could forgive bad seasons at the end of his contract, but if he's mediocre the 1st year in a new city he might hear the boo birds again.

I completely disagree. ARod has had several injuries recently and it shouldn't be a surprise that he's suffered offensively. IF he can get healthy there's no reason that he can't be a solid player for a few more years. Of course at age 37 he might not be healthy.

The Yankee collapse is the only interesting thing happening in the LCS after an awesome set of divisional/WC games.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Wednesday that Alex Rodriguez will be the club's regular third baseman entering spring training.
Rodriguez's struggles against right-handers caused him to be benched during the postseason, but assuming he's not traded, he'll get every chance to keep his regular spot in the lineup next year. Many have speculated that his broken hand contributed to his struggles down the stretch and into the playoffs, but Girardi believes that he was healthy.

the Yankees have said everything I have expected them to say. but I still don't think this absolutely 100% guarantees that ARod wont be traded.
if the Yankees were to say he's on the block or they would be looking to move him and for some reason no one is interested because of that huge contract (even if NY ate a lot of it), then next season with ARod still in NY he isn't as happy and his play shows it.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers