10/16 Cheering/Venting Det 2 - NYY 1 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

10/16 Cheering/Venting Det 2 - NYY 1

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 10/16 Cheering/Venting NYY v. Det

Postby Izenhart » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:25 am

chargerss24 wrote:
Izenhart wrote:Player / Series Avg
B. Gardner .000
I. Suzuki .667
M. Teixeira .000
R. Cano .000
R. Ibanez .000
R. Martin .000
E. Chavez .000
C. Granderson 000
E. Nunez .000

lol

That's not right. Nunez, Teixeira and Cano got base hits in the top of the ninth., but yeah, they suck. :-D

I happened to post that just before Nunez hit his solo homerun in the 9th
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 am

mweir145 wrote:Who benches ARod and Swisher based on seven game sample size and then doesn't use one of them to pinch hit for Raul Ibanez when he's facing a LHP in a crucial situation (.492 OPS vs. LHPs in 2012)?

The Yankees deserve to lose this series for more reason than one.

Ibanez has been their hottest hitter and in a walkoff HR in ALDS Game 3 off a LHP. I have no problem leaving him in there...he's basically the only guy in the lineup who's done anything at all. I would have started A-Rod though...I don't understand benching him. It's not like Chavez has done anything.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby m16a » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:27 am

Am I the only one who thought the Yanks made a big mistake by not throwing CC out there? That was a game they had to win to really stay alive in this series, and CC was on, I believe, 4 days rest, meaning he woulda be pretty good to go. This series would have a majorly different tone if it were 2-1, instead of 3-0. I was of the mind that getting your best guy to even the gap would be smart. However, I don't think anyone can argue with him being the last line. Yanks are done after tonight methinks though. ;-D
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:32 am

m16a wrote:Am I the only one who thought the Yanks made a big mistake by not throwing CC out there? That was a game they had to win to really stay alive in this series, and CC was on, I believe, 4 days rest, meaning he woulda be pretty good to go. This series would have a majorly different tone if it were 2-1, instead of 3-0. I was of the mind that getting your best guy to even the gap would be smart. However, I don't think anyone can argue with him being the last line. Yanks are done after tonight methinks though. ;-D

CC was only on 3 days of rest.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

10/16 Cheering/Venting Det 2 - NYY 1

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:08 pm

m16a wrote:Am I the only one who thought the Yanks made a big mistake by not throwing CC out there? That was a game they had to win to really stay alive in this series, and CC was on, I believe, 4 days rest, meaning he woulda be pretty good to go. This series would have a majorly different tone if it were 2-1, instead of 3-0. I was of the mind that getting your best guy to even the gap would be smart. However, I don't think anyone can argue with him being the last line. Yanks are done after tonight methinks though. ;-D

Wouldn't have mattered. You can't win if you don't score. Their starting pitching is the only reason any of these games have been close. Kuroda, Pettitte, Hughes and the bullpen have all been great in their own right. You couldn't have expected much more from CC than what those guys gave you.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Re: 10/16 Cheering/Venting Det 2 - NYY 1

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:42 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

Wouldn't have mattered. You can't win if you don't score. Their starting pitching is the only reason any of these games have been close. Kuroda, Pettitte, Hughes and the bullpen have all been great in their own right. You couldn't have expected much more from CC than what those guys gave you.

A real murdered row.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 283)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:05 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Who benches ARod and Swisher based on seven game sample size and then doesn't use one of them to pinch hit for Raul Ibanez when he's facing a LHP in a crucial situation (.492 OPS vs. LHPs in 2012)?

Ibanez has been their hottest hitter and in a walkoff HR in ALDS Game 3 off a LHP. I have no problem leaving him in there...he's basically the only guy in the lineup who's done anything at all. I would have started A-Rod though...I don't understand benching him. It's not like Chavez has done anything.

And none of that really changes the fact that Ibanez is nothing more than a platoon player at this point in his career who struggles significantly against LHP. With the options they had on the bench and the ability to turn the matchup in their favor, I can't excuse leaving him in there.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:10 pm

mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

And none of that really changes the fact that Ibanez is nothing more than a platoon player at this point in his career who struggles significantly against LHP. With the options they had on the bench and the ability to turn the matchup in their favor, I can't excuse leaving him in there.

No way. You've got to go with the hot hand, and there's nothing to suggest that Arod is all of a sudden going to break out of his slump in a key spot. Ibanez got you there, you've got to give him his chance.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:46 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:No way. You've got to go with the hot hand, and there's nothing to suggest that Arod is all of a sudden going to break out of his slump in a key spot. Ibanez got you there, you've got to give him his chance.

2012 vs lefties: .197/.246/.246
2011 vs lefties: .211/.232/.353
Career vs lefties: .264/.314/.421

I don't care if he's the "hot hand". He's absolutely terrible against lefties and leaving him in to face one with the game on the line was a mistake. I realize the backlash would have been pretty bad if he had pinch hit Arod and failed, but you have to make the best baseball decision and letting Ibanez hit there was not the best baseball decision.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:04 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:No way. You've got to go with the hot hand, and there's nothing to suggest that Arod is all of a sudden going to break out of his slump in a key spot. Ibanez got you there, you've got to give him his chance.

2012 vs lefties: .197/.246/.246
2011 vs lefties: .211/.232/.353
Career vs lefties: .264/.314/.421

I don't care if he's the "hot hand". He's absolutely terrible against lefties and leaving him in to face one with the game on the line was a mistake. I realize the backlash would have been pretty bad if he had pinch hit Arod and failed, but you have to make the best baseball decision and letting Ibanez hit there was not the best baseball decision.

I think it was. Even if you think he's only a .200 hitter in that spot, that's still better than what Arod is right now.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers