10/14 Cheering/Venting Winners Det 3-0 / STL 6-4 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

10/14 Cheering/Venting Winners Det 3-0 / STL 6-4

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 10/14 Cheering/Venting Playoffs

Postby Element » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:30 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Element wrote:Why exactly would the Yankees deal Granderson?

He is one of a number of players on the "HR or nothing" offense that are essentially the same type of hitter. I have been saying it all year that they are built for the regular season and not the playoffs. Atrocious all season with RISP. They are generally low avg, high K, HR hitters that generally feast on bad pitching or mistakes by opponent pitchers. Some are guess hitters (Swisher, Arod now, et. al.). The problem in the playoffs (and we saw this in 2011 as well) is that you do not get to see many lame pitchers. You see primarily 1-4s of very good teams with the top 1-2 of each team being extremely good. So there are not nearly as many mistakes\fat pitches and hence you need to stop trying to hit HRs on each pitch and try to play for a run or two at times and a number of these guys are simply not capable of doing that\let the pressure get to them.

Granderson K'ed 195 times and hit in the 230s. Assuming Gardner is healthy they have someone to play CF next season. And if you take Hal Steinbrenner at his word that they will not pay the penalty in 2014 and keep the salary below 186M (and I do as Hal is no George to say the least), then re-signing Granderson becomes dodgy at best as they already have ARoid, Jeter, Sabathia and Tex eating up 90+M of that and need to re-sign Cano (for presumably big bucks long-term). So keeping Granderson long-term is already dodgy at best. Why not deal Granderson while he retains a lot of value and when he is part of the problem architecturally if you may not be able to afford him after 2013 or feel the cost is not worth it based on playoff performance levels? In fairness, Arod is the one that really needs to go, but they can't do anything about him. Swisher is almost a 100% certainty to be gone as he is a free agent and having another dreadful post season.

I suppose that it makes some sense, but $13MM (2013 salary)for a good defensive CF'er that can pop out 40+ homers a years seems like a good deal to me. You knew what you were getting when you traded for him. He's basically the same player with more power. If the issue is his approach then maybe you should be looking in the direction of the hitting instructor. Grandy the least of the Yankee's problems, IMO. You're not going to replace that production at that cost with anyone else. The day that the Yankees start selling off the controllable assets for prospects will be the day that I bedazzle my anus.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 610)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 10/14 Cheering/Venting Winners Det 3-0 / STL 6-4

Postby Tavish » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Is there really a discussion going on about the Yankees not being able to afford players?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby jfg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Element wrote:I suppose that it makes some sense, but $13MM (2013 salary)for a good defensive CF'er that can pop out 40+ homers a years seems like a good deal to me. You knew what you were getting when you traded for him. He's basically the same player with more power.

Not entirely true... he did hit for average in '07 and '08 before changing into the player we know him as today his last year in Detroit in '09. I'm thinking that the Yankees might have thought that the average might have ramped back up to at least .275. But, you're absolutely right that he's a good deal. He's making less than Adam Dunn. Also, here's to never seeing any bedazzling.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:33 pm

jfg wrote:
Element wrote:I suppose that it makes some sense, but $13MM (2013 salary)for a good defensive CF'er that can pop out 40+ homers a years seems like a good deal to me. You knew what you were getting when you traded for him. He's basically the same player with more power.

Not entirely true... he did hit for average in '07 and '08 before changing into the player we know him as today his last year in Detroit in '09. I'm thinking that the Yankees might have thought that the average might have ramped back up to at least .275. But, you're absolutely right that he's a good deal. He's making less than Adam Dunn. Also, here's to never seeing any bedazzling.

Assuming he has a similar year to this in 2013, Granderson is going to get what kind of contract in 2014? 15-17M a season on a 3-5 year deal from someone? Add in Cano at another 15-22M a year on a multi-year deal for 2014. Hal Steinbrenner has said multiple times he is going to get the team salary under 186M and not going to pay the tax. He is not his father and is not going to give up money out of his pocket to win at all costs. IMO, the era of the Yanks spending whatever it takes is likely ending in 2014 so it becomes who do you want to spend on beyond the 85-90M already spent with Arod, CC, Tex and Jeter? Cano is sure to be signed imo. So do you want to drop 15M+ on Granderson too in 2014+ as well? Given he is the same sort of hitter and headed maybe the way of Carlos Pena only in CF, you have to wonder whether or not it makes more sense to deal him in 2013 for some pieces while his value is high and sign someone else that may offer you a more balanced approached in 2014\fill a bigger need than another HR hitter on a team full of them already. One never knows with Cashman, but it makes a lot of sense and has been discussed as a possibility before and with every swing and a miss by 2 feet, that liklihood grows larger.

As to geting rid of kevin Long...absolutely. Might happen but I would bet against it as Giradi likes him and like I said, Hal is not George and not inclined to fire anyone. Remember Hal did not want the job as he was third in line for it originally. George's son in law was first in line to run the team but his daughter divorced him and that was the end of that. That was followed by his son Hank, who gave Arod the ludicrous deal and effectively he was removed from the role because of it. So we get Hal who is rarely if ever seen on TV and rarely says or does anything. Cashman runs the team and Hal collects his money. No way imo he is going to pay that tax out of his pocket. They might sell the team if the right offer comes along though.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers