10/14 Cheering/Venting Winners Det 3-0 / STL 6-4 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

10/14 Cheering/Venting Winners Det 3-0 / STL 6-4

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 10/14 Cheering/Venting Playoffs

Postby Element » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Why exactly would the Yankees deal Granderson?
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ayebatter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:32 pm

Tigers !!!!! ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby Izenhart » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:04 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:Rumor has it Swisher and Granderson are packing their belongings before heading out to Detroit as they both know they are never going to play another game in Yankee Stadium in a Yankee uniform lol.

Seriously, if you own Granderson in a keeper, trade him now before his value declines. No short porch in RF for him next season. Odds are pretty high he will be dealt after this debacle. Swisher will not be re-signed. To be sure Arod and Cano have been just as bad, but they are stuck with Arod and Cano is their best all-round player.

Perfectly sums up the New York mentality. It's no longer what have you done for me lately it's what did you do for me today. What I think is you're mad at Jeter for not playing thru the pain and taking it out on poor Grandy and Nick.

Now may be a good time to replace Granderson though, Texas fans aren't so happy with the way Hamilton ended his season (and the team's with it).
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:BTW these umps are really doing a bang-up job of ensuring the Yankees have even less of a chance to win this series.

Nate McLouth feels no sympathy.

You're referring to the foul pole call of which there is zero definitive replay?

I'm not saying the Yankees win either game 1 or 2 with the right calls made as their offense is atrocious, but they were clearly blown and there's no disputing that. I don't really care if you guys have sympathy or not. I'm not fishing for it. But there is no defending calls that are clearly blown, on either side.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:34 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:BTW these umps are really doing a bang-up job of ensuring the Yankees have even less of a chance to win this series.

You're referring to the foul pole call of which there is zero definitive replay?

I'm not saying the Yankees win either game 1 or 2 with the right calls made as their offense is atrocious, but they were clearly blown and there's no disputing that. I don't really care if you guys have sympathy or not. I'm not fishing for it. But there is no defending calls that are clearly blown, on either side.

Definitive or not, it was a close call that, like almost any other close call, went the Yankees way. I hate to see a blown call, but if it's going to happen, I don't feel too terrible that it happened to them (and yes, I'm still pretty bitter over Jeffrey Maier :-b ).

With that said, it's just all the more proof that the MLB needs to expand instant replay. If the play at 2nd could have been reviewed, it undoubtably would have been overturned,the umpiring probably wouldn't even be a topic of conversation.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:42 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:

Definitive or not, it was a close call that, like almost any other close call, went the Yankees way. I hate to see a blown call, but if it's going to happen, I don't feel too terrible that it happened to them (and yes, I'm still pretty bitter over Jeffrey Maier :-b ).

With that said, it's just all the more proof that the MLB needs to expand instant replay. If the play at 2nd could have been reviewed, it undoubtably would have been overturned,the umpiring probably wouldn't even be a topic of conversation.

Yeah, not expecting NY to get any sympathy from anyone. :-b But I'm in complete agreement about replay. Girardi made a stink about it after the game which I'm sure was largely fueled by frustration over being down 0-2, but I thought he made a good point in that replay would probably take less time than it does for a manager to come out and argue a call and get thrown out. It really doesn't make sense not to have replay on things like safe/out calls. You can argue for subjectivity on the strike zone but safe/out should be black and white and I don't see any reasonable argument that opposes expanded replay. I'm afraid it will take a catastrophic call ala Denkinger before MLB is forced to expand.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 am

Element wrote:Why exactly would the Yankees deal Granderson?

He is one of a number of players on the "HR or nothing" offense that are essentially the same type of hitter. I have been saying it all year that they are built for the regular season and not the playoffs. Atrocious all season with RISP. They are generally low avg, high K, HR hitters that generally feast on bad pitching or mistakes by opponent pitchers. Some are guess hitters (Swisher, Arod now, et. al.). The problem in the playoffs (and we saw this in 2011 as well) is that you do not get to see many lame pitchers. You see primarily 1-4s of very good teams with the top 1-2 of each team being extremely good. So there are not nearly as many mistakes\fat pitches and hence you need to stop trying to hit HRs on each pitch and try to play for a run or two at times and a number of these guys are simply not capable of doing that\let the pressure get to them.

Granderson K'ed 195 times and hit in the 230s. Assuming Gardner is healthy they have someone to play CF next season. And if you take Hal Steinbrenner at his word that they will not pay the penalty in 2014 and keep the salary below 186M (and I do as Hal is no George to say the least), then re-signing Granderson becomes dodgy at best as they already have ARoid, Jeter, Sabathia and Tex eating up 90+M of that and need to re-sign Cano (for presumably big bucks long-term). So keeping Granderson long-term is already dodgy at best. Why not deal Granderson while he retains a lot of value and when he is part of the problem architecturally if you may not be able to afford him after 2013 or feel the cost is not worth it based on playoff performance levels? In fairness, Arod is the one that really needs to go, but they can't do anything about him. Swisher is almost a 100% certainty to be gone as he is a free agent and having another dreadful post season.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 am

Element wrote:Why exactly would the Yankees deal Granderson?
For some reason I thought he was a FA after this season.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:37 am

That foul ball by McLouth did not hit the pole... just because the announcers tried to create excitement by suggesting it could have, doesn't mean it was even close. I can't believe somebody would argue otherwise. That call at second base last night though, was ridiculous. The tag was held for a good second or two and then he reached his hand out to touch the base and somehow the ump missed it completely. Absolutely brutal.

And it's so funny to see Yankee fans overreact to a few bad games. Granderson is terrible and should be traded because he strikes out too much... maybe you haven't realized that most of the best hitters in baseball history "strike out too much". Mr. October was prolific at the swing-and-miss and he's Mr. Friggin October. So how exactly does the HR-or-nothing approach not work in the playoffs? Oh, and the Yankees led the league in OBP... maybe not so much all or nothing on the homeruns after all :-b

The main takeaway here is: baseball is a long and mostly uneventful sport to watch for 4-5 hours, and the announcers will make up a whole bunch of crap just to fill the dead air. It's best not to believe most of the nonsense.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:02 am

Skin Blues wrote:That foul ball by McLouth did not hit the pole... just because the announcers tried to create excitement by suggesting it could have, doesn't mean it was even close. I can't believe somebody would argue otherwise. That call at second base last night though, was ridiculous. The tag was held for a good second or two and then he reached his hand out to touch the base and somehow the ump missed it completely. Absolutely brutal.

And it's so funny to see Yankee fans overreact to a few bad games. Granderson is terrible and should be traded because he strikes out too much... maybe you haven't realized that most of the best hitters in baseball history "strike out too much". Mr. October was prolific at the swing-and-miss and he's Mr. Friggin October. So how exactly does the HR-or-nothing approach not work in the playoffs? Oh, and the Yankees led the league in OBP... maybe not so much all or nothing on the homeruns after all :-b

The main takeaway here is: baseball is a long and mostly uneventful sport to watch for 4-5 hours, and the announcers will make up a whole bunch of crap just to fill the dead air. It's best not to believe most of the nonsense.

Say what you want about the announcers, but I saw all the replays on TV of the McLouth play, and it looked to me like it hit the pole. Maybe it did, maybe not, but it certainly was very close one way or the other, and it's not ridiculous to argue that it was a HR.

That said, I do agree about how dumb it is to suggest that HR-or-nothing doesn't work. At the end of the day, the playoffs are still baseball, and it's the same game as it is in the regular season. The fact that the Yankees aren't scoring right now doesn't mean that their approach is bad, it means they fell into a slump at the worst possible time.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers