These 4 then which 3? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

These 4 then which 3?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

These 4 then which 3?

Postby fast dogs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:36 am

We keep 7 in a 14 team 5X5 Roto with middles and corners; Rutledge would have good value if he has the 2nd base job in Col. I think Jansen is 1 of the 4 closers that are worthy of being kept in this format tho I rarely keep closers in these leagues. 100 K closers on teams really trying to win now are tough to find.Both Rutledge & Jansen would have to be assured of full time jobs by decision day to even consider being held over normally earlier drafted players
These 4 are in:
Andrus, Elvis SS TEX
Beltre, Adrian 3B TEX
Gonzalez, Carlos LF COL
Sabathia, CC SP NYY

then I need 3 of these 5:
Trumbo, Mark 1B LAA
Jansen, Kenley RP LAD
Morse, Michael OF WAS
Rizzo, Anthony 1B CHC
Rutledge, Josh SS COL

The "easy answer" is Trumbo Morse and Rizzo but all 3 basically provide the same thing. Trumbo is past his soph jinx year(32/95), Rizzo is headed into his.I'd be able to keep any of the 5 for 4 more years if they keep producing. If Jansen provides 40 saves 110 K's and ERA & WHIP #'s like last year he would likely be more valuable to me than a 6th keeper hitter. Closers in a 14 teamer aren't easy to come by, many next in line guys are rostered in this league. If B League is with another team, am I nutty to keep Jansen ahead of Rizzo or Trumbo?
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 305)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: These 4 then which 3?

Postby MaudDib » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:23 am

I am not sure I would call you nutty for keeping Jansen but I wouldn't do it. Why Jansen could turn into a 40 save 100 K guy, it is too hard to predict that kind of thing. Too many future stud closers have ended up hurt or any number of other things before they can actualize their talents. I like Jansen but I have a hard time believing that he will stay healthy enough to get you those numbers every year which is why so many people preach the "don't pay for saves" mantra.

In the end if you think your team is better with Jansen over Rizzo or Morse, then do it. Neither of these guys are automatic keepers anyway so taking a risk that Jansen dominates next year could be a gamble worth taking.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Element » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Rizzo, Jansen & Trumbo would be my 3 from your final group. There is however, a chance that the Dodgers resign Brandon League and he is the closer and not Jansen. League was excellent down the stretch & with Jansen's heart condition I could see the Dodgers potentially keeping him out of high pressure situations. That is a complete guess, but it is a possibility worth considering. That said, I would roll the dice. Hopefully you have the offseason to see how things shake out.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:56 pm

fast dogs wrote:We keep 7 in a 14 team 5X5 Roto with middles and corners; Rutledge would have good value if he has the 2nd base job in Col. I think Jansen is 1 of the 4 closers that are worthy of being kept in this format tho I rarely keep closers in these leagues. 100 K closers on teams really trying to win now are tough to find.Both Rutledge & Jansen would have to be assured of full time jobs by decision day to even consider being held over normally earlier drafted players
These 4 are in:
Andrus, Elvis SS TEX
Beltre, Adrian 3B TEX
Gonzalez, Carlos LF COL
Sabathia, CC SP NYY

then I need 3 of these 5:
Trumbo, Mark 1B LAA
Jansen, Kenley RP LAD
Morse, Michael OF WAS
Rizzo, Anthony 1B CHC
Rutledge, Josh SS COL

The "easy answer" is Trumbo Morse and Rizzo but all 3 basically provide the same thing. Trumbo is past his soph jinx year(32/95), Rizzo is headed into his.I'd be able to keep any of the 5 for 4 more years if they keep producing. If Jansen provides 40 saves 110 K's and ERA & WHIP #'s like last year he would likely be more valuable to me than a 6th keeper hitter. Closers in a 14 teamer aren't easy to come by, many next in line guys are rostered in this league. If B League is with another team, am I nutty to keep Jansen ahead of Rizzo or Trumbo?

I go with Trumbo, Morse and Rizzo. Forget the closers as they are traditionally not reliable long term unless their name was Rivera.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert

Postby fast dogs » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:28 am

Common theme I'm hearing with Rizzo is his '14 will be better than his '13. Really just looking at bottom couple keepers as best 2013 options as the next year usually produces a couple keepers; Jansen doesn't have to be great forever. If I drop Rizzo I probably won't get another shot at him in this league for 5 years...

Same keeper setup- diff league I'm toying with holding Machado instead of Hosmer/Jansen/Anderson even tho his '13 could be a struggle. I don't want to be remembered as the guy who didn't keep Manny Machado.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Element » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Maybe drop the closer. You take a hit in value overall not being able to plug Manny into a SS/MI spot, but it's going to be easier to replace Jansen than the other guys.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby burty1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:34 am

For me...Rizzo, Trumbo, Jansen.

I think Jansen is Kimbrel waiting to happen. Those 2 closers numbers make them far and away the best 2 closers in the game (depending on what the Reds do with Chapman)

viewtopic.php?t=452403
burty1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby rjforlife » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:26 am

You are overthinking this one. The easy answer is the right one, Rizzo/Trumbo/Morse. While they all may do similar things, it's unlikely they all have good years and all stay healthy. When that happens, you'll be left wishing you kept all 3 to keep options open.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby kaiser » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:27 am

Trumbo is a no-doubter.

Morse is who I would go with next.

The toughest choice is the last one. To me, it comes down to a close race between Rizzo and Rutledge. I go with Rizzo, by a hair.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions