Keep Upton at $45? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keep Upton at $45?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keep Upton at $45?

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:24 pm

So I am in a 12-team Ottoneu (traditional 5x5) league that is just finishing it's first year. For those of you who aren't familiar with Ottoneu, it has 40 man rosters, with a $400 budget, and salaries rise by $2 each year for major leaguers. You have 5 SP, 5 RP, full hitter lineup, but with 5 OF a MI and a UTIL. Notice the higher budget, salaries should (and are) higher than what you would see in an auction league with a $260 budget.

My toughest keeper decision is Justin Upton. He would cost $45 next year. I already have Mike Stanton at $43 and Josh Hamilton at $29, as well as Brett Gardner at $13 and Melky Cabrera at $11.

So I'm leaning towards letting Upton go, but it's hard, as I expect him to rebound next year, but he can't go too far beyond $45 right?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keep Upton at $45?

Postby Element » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:28 pm

That would be the equal of having him at $26 in a $260 league. I actually can keep him for $27 in my $260. I feel your pain as I too expect a rebound. I am not keeping him because I can only keep 7 players and I have better options. If I didn't have a limit I would keep him. I think that $25-30 is going to be his range in $260 leagues next year. I plan on attempting to re-acquire. So I guess that if he is in your plans why not keep him unless you think that you can get him back on the cheap? It could keep you away from a potential bidding war.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 610)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:27 am

Element wrote:That would be the equal of having him at $26 in a $260 league. I actually can keep him for $27 in my $260. I feel your pain as I too expect a rebound. I am not keeping him because I can only keep 7 players and I have better options. If I didn't have a limit I would keep him. I think that $25-30 is going to be his range in $260 leagues next year. I plan on attempting to re-acquire. So I guess that if he is in your plans why not keep him unless you think that you can get him back on the cheap? It could keep you away from a potential bidding war.

It would be $29 in a $260 league which I think is probably pretty borderline in a redraft. In a keeper auction prices are normally inflated so I'd say he's worth hanging on to.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks for the advice guys. This whole $400 budget for 40 players thing messes with my general evaluation instincts. I think I'll probably hang onto him.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Element wrote:That would be the equal of having him at $26 in a $260 league. I actually can keep him for $27 in my $260. I feel your pain as I too expect a rebound. I am not keeping him because I can only keep 7 players and I have better options. If I didn't have a limit I would keep him. I think that $25-30 is going to be his range in $260 leagues next year. I plan on attempting to re-acquire. So I guess that if he is in your plans why not keep him unless you think that you can get him back on the cheap? It could keep you away from a potential bidding war.

I agree with most of this and think you made a good decision. Keep him one more year he has too much potential and could earn well over that amount next year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 281)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:05 am

Not that Yahoo's ranking system is great, but even in this terrible season, he was ranked 50th overall. He also stole 8 bags in the second half without being caught, and hit 10 HR. Those numbers aren't fantastic, but they point in the right direction and his 5x5 production has an incredibly high ceiling.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions