10/3 Cheering / Venting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

10/3 Cheering / Venting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 10/3 Cheering / Venting

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:07 pm

So Jake McGee comes in with one out in the top of the sixth inning with a 3-0 lead, he gets both outs, and the following half of the inning, Evan Longoria (who I have) hits his 3rd home run of the night, giving the Rays a 4-0 lead. Do I get a hold for that 2/3rd inning even though he came in the top of the seventh and got one out.? :-o
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 43)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Izenhart wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Up by 7 runs and the A's bring in Balfour for the fifth consecutive day. Not just 5th game in 6 days with an off-day in between, but 5 days in a row. Just asking for meltdown-city come the playoffs. I know the old timers will say "back in my day we threw 100 pitches every single day, and we liked it" but this is insanity at it's finest. Cook was used for the 4th straight day but at least at the time it was a tight game. I know Oakland has shown zero long term interest in any of their relievers, dumping them as soon as the have success (as they should) but they need these guys for the playoffs.

Maybe they won't melt down. Maybe it won't effect them at all. I'll tell ya what though, if one of these relievers gives up a home run on a hanging whatever, people will point to this and blame the manager. And that's not fair at all. There's going to be days to rest in between some games. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about.

This really reminded me of the Johan thing (similar response to being overworked) so I went back to find the quotes. It's like deja vu:

Skin Blues wrote:I'd be much more comfortable going with Moore @ Miami than Johan @ Yankees. I don't think pitchers generally have a very good follow-up start after throwing a no-hitter, especially when they throw so many more pithes than they usually do.

Syfo-Dyas wrote:After that start Johan got 2 extra days rest, so I wouldnt worry about that.

Two days of rest, so he'll be fine, right?

Before no-hitter: 2.38 ERA in 68 IP
After no-hitter: 8.27 ERA in 49 IP

Johan had a significant injury history which makes Terry Collins' decision all the more stupid, but pitchers that are overworked lose effectiveness and/or get injured.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Just like it wasn't anything to be concerned about when Santana stayed in the game for his no-hitter. If there was an actual reason why Balfour had to pitch then sure, throw him in. But they're up by 7 runs in the 9th. Melvin deserves and and all criticism he gets for that decision.

Ya I was kinda stunned when I heard he came in, I'm sure he asked to and wanted to close out the clinching game, but it's on the manager to do what's best for the team and pitching him for the five straight game unnecessarily was not best for the team.

As it is the A's just don't look like a very good team on paper so I'm not really sure what to think of them. They probably have a crazy amount of confidence and momentum, and of course anyone can win once you're in the playoffs, but I wouldn't have very high hopes for them next year.

Still rooting for a Battle of the Bay which is probably the last thing MLB/ESPN wants.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:33 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Still rooting for a Battle of the Bay which is probably the last thing MLB/ESPN wants.

Remember, the Orioles are in the playoffs...
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 90)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:15 am

jackie hayes wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Still rooting for a Battle of the Bay which is probably the last thing MLB/ESPN wants.

at least they're on the east coast. outside of the bay area i can't imagine many people caring at all about an A's/Giants world series.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:22 am

jackie hayes wrote:

The worst World Series MLB could see by far is the Giants vs the A's. California is a fair weather state that doesn't care about its sports unless they win every year, the rest of the country doesn't care at all about west coast teams because the games are too late. A battle of the bay would be a complete disaster for baseball. Having said that I'd love to see the A's make it and for my money I'd like to see the Nats or Reds in the NL.

MLB wants to see a Yankee vs Cardinals world series probably.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:34 am

Ender wrote:California is a fair weather state that doesn't care about its sports unless they win every year

Since AT&T opened the Giants have drawn pretty damn well. They've only had two seasons where they had an attendance under 3 million (2.8 million in 2008 and 2009) and there were some pretty bad teams in there.

It's pretty sad how bad the A's draw (especially over the last month), but holy crap that stadium is awful.

also i'm pretty sure the dodgers and angels both draw very well and even the warriors continue to draw pretty well despite being terrible for the longest time.

therefore, i don't think i agree with your statement.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:19 am

Of the Giants, Reds, Nats, Braves and Cardinals, I would think the Giants would be best for ratings. :-?
Still if it isn't the Yankees or Rangers from the AL the WS ratings aren't going to be that great.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:57 am

We would own you }:-)

I'd like to see Washington vs Oakland. Either my favourite team wins, or I win $1500. O:-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:08 pm

So I lost my finals matchup in the last hour on a Fernando Rodney one out save. If Matt Wieters gets out instead of getting a hit off Peralta, I go on to win. Or if Maddon had been a normal manager and just used Rodney to start the last inning of the season instead of waiting right up until a save situation. Don't think I've ever experienced a finals loss that close, but that's fantasy baseball.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers