10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I really hope the Yankees get bumped out before the playoffs even start, just to see the backlash that will occur. As usual, nothing gets changed until the worst case scenario actually happens.

How awesome would it be if the 94 win Yanks/Orioles are forced into a one game play-in @Baltimore to determine division winner, and then the loser is forced into another one game play-in @Texas the next day against the 93 win Rangers, to see who gets to be in the playoffs the next day to face the 87 win Tigers? The answer is: very awesome.


Yes plz.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14061
(Past Year: 845)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: 10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I really hope the Yankees get bumped out before the playoffs even start, just to see the backlash that will occur. As usual, nothing gets changed until the worst case scenario actually happens.

How awesome would it be if the 94 win Yanks/Orioles are forced into a one game play-in @Baltimore to determine division winner, and then the loser is forced into another one game play-in @Texas the next day against the 93 win Rangers, to see who gets to be in the playoffs the next day to face the 87 win Tigers? The answer is: very awesome.


As opposed to a system in which the Orioles would win the division by tiebreaker and play 87-win Detroit in the first round, Yankees win the wildcard by default and play Oakland, and the Rangers are sent packing at 93 wins?

I understand your point. My point is that it isn't anything new. Teams with a top-4 record in their respective league have missed out on playoff opportunities to lesser teams since the wildcard's inception. I understand it's flawed but it's not a problem created by the new system.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11945
(Past Year: 117)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:02 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:As opposed to a system in which the Orioles would win the division by tiebreaker and play 87-win Detroit in the first round, Yankees win the wildcard by default and play Oakland, and the Rangers are sent packing at 93 wins?


As opposed to a system in which the Yankees, Rangers, Orioles, and A's make the playoffs and the Tigers do not.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14061
(Past Year: 845)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:05 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:As opposed to a system in which the Orioles would win the division by tiebreaker and play 87-win Detroit in the first round, Yankees win the wildcard by default and play Oakland, and the Rangers are sent packing at 93 wins?


As opposed to a system in which the Yankees, Rangers, Orioles, and A's make the playoffs and the Tigers do not.


Right, but you're advocating for an entirely new system. And I'm not even opposed to it. My only point is that the problem you guys are presenting with this new system is a problem that existed with the old one as well. You can't say the new system sucks because Detroit at 87 wins is in...because they would have been in for the last 15 years as well.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11945
(Past Year: 117)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:20 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:As opposed to a system in which the Orioles would win the division by tiebreaker and play 87-win Detroit in the first round, Yankees win the wildcard by default and play Oakland, and the Rangers are sent packing at 93 wins?


As opposed to a system in which the Yankees, Rangers, Orioles, and A's make the playoffs and the Tigers do not.


Right, but you're advocating for an entirely new system. And I'm not even opposed to it. My only point is that the problem you guys are presenting with this new system is a problem that existed with the old one as well. You can't say the new system sucks because Detroit at 87 wins is in...because they would have been in for the last 15 years as well.


The new system sucks because it didn't really do anything to improve on a system that sucked thereby maintaining the prior suckiness.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14061
(Past Year: 845)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: 10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:05 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
As opposed to a system in which the Yankees, Rangers, Orioles, and A's make the playoffs and the Tigers do not.


Right, but you're advocating for an entirely new system. And I'm not even opposed to it. My only point is that the problem you guys are presenting with this new system is a problem that existed with the old one as well. You can't say the new system sucks because Detroit at 87 wins is in...because they would have been in for the last 15 years as well.


The new system sucks because it didn't really do anything to improve on a system that sucked thereby maintaining the prior suckiness.
Sure it did. It did exactly what I said in my last post. It's going to generate additional 'playoff' games, that's going to create a considerable amount of revenue, and maybe even get people to tune in to the games due to the false Game 7 effect. Something that I never get about the Cafe is that the people here make the painfully incorrect assumption that they are in the majority, when we very clearly aren't anywhere close. Any system that we would create that would be fair, balanced, reasonable, etc. is something that the average fan probably wouldn't get all that excited about or interested in. Reality. If there was a way for them to have a NCAA tournament-style single elimination competition, they'd do it, if it generated more dollars than they make now. Hell, I actually think that'd be pretty fun to watch. More fun than what we have most years, or what is being proposed as the solution here. I'll watch the play-in games, for sure, and I haven't watched a single inning of baseball in probably at least two months. That's what the MLB is shooting for here.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24659
(Past Year: 833)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: 10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:30 pm

They get two more games. Two. Plus all those fans that were showing up in Tampa and Baltimore down the stretch. All 8,000 of them, just like usual. They could make the division series 7 games instead of 5 and get a handful more games that way, in pretty much the same space of time. And that makes a LOT more sense. I understand them wanting to have contrived excitement after all the legitimate excitement last season, but there's this obsession with putting division winners on this huge pedestal that I don't get. How does that generate more revenue? It doesn't. It's meant to placate the traditionalists. Which is strange, because traditionally, baseball had no divisions.

Anyway, I just want to see the Yankees playing three playoff games in three cities on three consecutive days. Would be too funny. All the while MIggy is doing 40 oz curls at the local pub waiting for the actual playoffs to start, haha. I'm not mad about it. It's just funny, that a professional sport with the history of major league baseball would stoop to this level.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3033
(Past Year: 528)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 pm

162 games is far too small of a sample size to be able to draw any meaningful conclusions. The only fair way to do it would be to play a 10-year, 1,620 game season, then at the end of the decade you award the team with the best record the World Series trophy. You could still give the trophy out every year, but each year would be based on a decade's worth of games. So the 2012 World Series goes to the team with the best record from 2003-2012. For 2013, you go back to 2004 to start aggregating records, etc. That would prevent fluke teams like this year's Orioles from having a chance at winning baseball's most coveted trophy. Why should a team that has a decade-long run of futility get to compete for the World Series just because of a good 162 games. Ridiculous. Also, for teams that are strong over a period of many years, having one down year due to injuries and back luck (think: 2012 Red Sox) won't doom them and prevent them from being able to compete year in and year out for the championship. I don't care about these upstarts who string together a few dozen good games once a decade. I want long-term, sustained excellence.

*edited because I'm not real good at the maths.
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 pm

I like it. See, if you're gonna have a straw man argument, at least make it interesting!
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3033
(Past Year: 528)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I like it. See, if you're gonna have a straw man argument, at least make it interesting!


I wasn't presenting that scenario as your argument, I was just stating that if the goal is to make it as fair as possible then there would be no postseason at all. The postseason itself could be argued to be 'contrived excitement' as you put it.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11945
(Past Year: 117)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BALCO All-Stars, Ray Zorback and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Arizona at Chi Cubs
(12:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(2:20 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(3:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(3:35 pm)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at Toronto
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Baltimore
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact