10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 pm

kab21 wrote:I agree with hort, JJ and BB. Wild card should be at a disadvantage. it sounds like your complaint is against having divisions and this is actually a step in the right direction. The best teams (top 2 divisional winners) are now definitely rewarded with not only not only playing in the WC one or done but they also get home field advantage. I know that you're going to complain about the 2ND PLACE AL east team having to play in the WC but they should have taken care of their own business.

How did the Tigers take care of their business better than the O's or A's (or conceivably the Yankees or Rangers if they lose their divisions)? Those teams won more games with a more difficult schedule. The fact that the White Sox all of a sudden couldn't win games doesn't mean that Detroit took care of business. Had the Yankees randomly lost 2 more games earlier this year, nothing the Orioles had done would be any different.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:24 pm

I guess "taking care of their own business" means ensuring they're in a weak division. The Tigers have definitely mastered that skill.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I guess "taking care of their own business" means ensuring they're in a weak division. The Tigers have definitely mastered that skill.

It's still more excitement though with 6 divisions instead of just 2...when it all comes down to it it's all about excitement/entertainment. I'd rather watch "H2H than Roto"....
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:40 pm

That's great for a playoff format but for the regular season it's just contrived. Personal opinion obviously. Apparently lots of people don't like the idea of rewarding the best teams after a 162 game season, and would rather have a bunch of coin flip games because it's more exciting to them. But hey, maybe they should go to H2H if that's what people want, haha. 6 games in 7 days against the same team and you get a single W/L or T for the week. Of course if there's no reward for having the best W/L/T record at the end then it's still as meaningless as a regular 162 schedule.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:52 pm

I definitely see Skin's point and agree with him in a lot of respects. The thing is, this has always been a problem since the introduction of the wild card. From 1995-2011 you routinely had teams missing the playoffs (Toronto, anyone?) while worse teams (AL Central) won their division and got in. It's not like the new system generated the problem...it's always been there. If anything, this new system helps it because now at least those teams have an extra spot to shoot for and can play their way into the playoffs.

Obviously if you wanted things as fair as possible you'd scrap divisions and have everyone play a balanced schedule. To take it a step further, scrap the playoffs altogether and just have the team with the best record as the champion. That would be the absolute fairest and would ensure the best team always wins. It's boring though and I doubt anyone would advocate for a system like that.

I can see an argument for going back to 2 divisons of East/West or even just one big division in each league, with a balanced schedule and take the top 4-6 teams from each league for the playoffs. But MLB makes too much money to change to that.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby thedude » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:04 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Obviously if you wanted things as fair as possible you'd scrap divisions and have everyone play a balanced schedule. To take it a step further, scrap the playoffs altogether and just have the team with the best record as the champion. That would be the absolute fairest and would ensure the best team always wins. It's boring though and I doubt anyone would advocate for a system like that.

Exactly. 145 game season. Every team plays the other 29 teams five times. Team with the best overall record wins the championship. The tie breaker is the head-to-head record.

:-t
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Ok I have a team tied for 1st in roto. I'm 5 IP under the limit and no one scheduled today, so I look to the FA wire and see Morrow, Hudson, Vogelsong, Tillman, Wood, Griffin, and a bunch of other options someone might grab. I decided to grab them all. Picked up 11 pitchers slated to start tomorrow, can only start 8. I'll surely gain 2 points in K's and W's assuming I can pick up 2, hopefully 3 wins out of 8 starts... Stand to lose a point in ERA and WHIP if things go badly though. I think I'm gonna chance it and watch things unfold. If nothing else I just screwed the league as the only guy slated to start tomorrow that I didn't pick up is Jeff Francis. I'm sure he'll throw a no hitter or something as I lose the league by half a point :-D
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby Bwanna » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:15 pm

Skin Blues wrote:An FYI for teams looking for a couple additional sneaky starts: if the Yanks/Orioles or Dodgers/Cardinals end up playing game 163 (which counts as regular season for fantasy teams)...

Huh? Not sure about other sites, but didn't think Yahoo counted the 163 tiebreaker game...
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Element » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Bwanna wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:An FYI for teams looking for a couple additional sneaky starts: if the Yanks/Orioles or Dodgers/Cardinals end up playing game 163 (which counts as regular season for fantasy teams)...

Huh? Not sure about other sites, but didn't think Yahoo counted the 163 tiebreaker game...

Not sure about Yahoo, but I know that CBS does. I had a 0.5 point lead on 2nd place after 162 games. The Twins played game 163 (vs White Sox?). The guy in 2nd place was tied with me in HR. He owned Kubel who hit a HR in the game. He gained a half point and I lost a half point. He won by a HALF POINT! %$@%^$%@$ JASON KUBEL!!!! I'd NEVER own that SOB ever again. I refuse.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Most of my leagues are on ESPN and those games count. They're regular season games, after all. Not sure about Yahoo but I'll go check into it. EDIT: Nope, doesn't look like they count on yahoo. Just on CBS and ESPN.

thedude wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Obviously if you wanted things as fair as possible you'd scrap divisions and have everyone play a balanced schedule. To take it a step further, scrap the playoffs altogether and just have the team with the best record as the champion. That would be the absolute fairest and would ensure the best team always wins. It's boring though and I doubt anyone would advocate for a system like that.

Exactly. 145 game season. Every team plays the other 29 teams five times. Team with the best overall record wins the championship. The tie breaker is the head-to-head record.

:-t

That's quite a straw man you two are building.

Nobody said to scrap the playoffs. They are what they are; a tournament. With 6 divisions it's impossible to have the best 8 teams make the playoffs. Adding a coin flip game just makes it worse. Entry in the "playoff tournament" shouldn't just be arbitrary, I want to see the best teams in there.

And even if I don't like it myself, I can see why people enjoy having 8 different potential playoff races by having 6 divisions and 2 wild card races. But why the added emphasis on the division winner? Why further handicap the wild card teams, who are quite often better than at least one division winner? Make it an equal race unto itself. Or make 8 damn divisions. This whole mess of a one game series/play-in game, a 5 game series, then 7 game series is a joke. I know I've said it already, but the only team in the AL that is guaranteed to make the actual playoffs is in 7th place!!
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers