10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby ayebatter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:26 am

IN
????

Tuesday, October 2nd

AL

Boston Red Sox at New York Yankees
(L) Jon Lester (9-14) vs. (R) David Phelps (4-4)

Chicago White Sox at Cleveland Indians
(R) Jake Peavy (11-12) vs. (R) Justin Masterson (11-15)

Minnesota Twins at Toronto Blue Jays
(R) Anthony Swarzak (3-5) vs. (R) Chad Jenkins (0-3)

Baltimore Orioles at Tampa Bay Rays
(R) Miguel Gonzalez (8-4) vs. (R) James Shields (15-9)

Detroit Tigers at Kansas City Royals
(R) Doug Fister (10-9) vs. (R) Jeremy Guthrie (4-3)

Texas Rangers at Oakland Athletics
(L) Matt Harrison (18-10) vs. (L) Travis Blackley (5-4)

LA Angels of Anaheim at Seattle Mariners
(R) Dan Haren (12-12) vs. (R) Hisashi Iwakuma (8-5)

NL

Atlanta Braves
at Pittsburgh Pirates
(R) Tommy Hanson (13-9) vs. (R) Kevin Correia (11-11)

Philadelphia Phillies at Washington Nationals
(R) B.J. Rosenberg (1-2) vs. (L) Gio Gonzalez (21-8)

New York Mets at Miami Marlins
(R) R.A. Dickey (20-6) vs. (R) Jacob Turner (1-4)

Houston Astros at Chicago Cubs
(R) Bud Norris (6-13) vs. (R) Chris Volstad (3-11)

San Diego Padres at Milwaukee Brewers
(R) Anthony Bass (2-7) vs. (R) Tyler Thornburg (0-0)

Cincinnati Reds at St. Louis Cardinals
(R) Mat Latos (13-4) vs. (R) Chris Carpenter (0-1)

Colorado Rockies at Arizona Diamondbacks
(R) Jhoulys Chacin (3-5) vs. (L) Patrick Corbin (6-8)

San Francisco Giants
at Los Angeles Dodgers
(L) Barry Zito (14-8) vs. (L) Chris Capuano (12-11)

IN
????
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 10/2 Cheering/Venting & playoff bound teams

Postby thedude » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am

It'll be pretty sad if the Yankees don't beat the Red Sox tonight. They have only three position players healthy who are starters. Ross in right, Ellsbury in center, and Salty behind the plate. They traded away the first baseman and left fielder. The DH, third baseman, and second baseman (three of the top four position players) are all hurt. The short stop makes Mario Mendoza look like Honus Wagner.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby ayebatter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:50 am

thedude wrote:It'll be pretty sad if the Yankees don't beat the Red Sox tonight. They have only three position players healthy who are starters. Ross in right, Ellsbury in center, and Salty behind the plate. They traded away the first baseman and left fielder. The DH, third baseman, and second baseman (three of the top four position players) are all hurt. The short stop makes Mario Mendoza look like Honus Wagner.

That has the makings of a 6-0 Boston win, and proof that Valentine is the guy for the job. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:11 am

An FYI for teams looking for a couple additional sneaky starts: if the Yanks/Orioles or Dodgers/Cardinals end up playing game 163 (which counts as regular season for fantasy teams) then these are the projected starting pitchers for Thursday:

Andy Pettitte
Steve Johnson
Kyle Lohse
Joe Blanton

I bet there's nothing more that the Reds want right now than to force the Cards play two back-to-back, win-or-go-home games, immediately before the playoffs begin. Stuff like this magnifies how stupid an idea it was to schedule a one-game play-in game prior to the playoffs. I can't imagine this format lasting very long, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's changed for 2013.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:22 am

Skin Blues wrote:An FYI for teams looking for a couple additional sneaky starts: if the Yanks/Orioles or Dodgers/Cardinals end up playing game 163 (which counts as regular season for fantasy teams) then these are the projected starting pitchers for Thursday:

Andy Pettitte
Steve Johnson
Kyle Lohse
Joe Blanton

I bet there's nothing more that the Reds want right now than to force the Cards play two back-to-back, win-or-go-home games, immediately before the playoffs begin. Stuff like this magnifies how stupid an idea it was to schedule a one-game play-in game prior to the playoffs. I can't imagine this format lasting very long, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's changed for 2013.
You couldn't be more wrong, in my opinion. Not about the stupidity of it all, but that this is the exact 'excitement' and ratings generating thing the MLB was hoping for. People tune in for "win or go home", and if these games are exciting and close, even more so. They've essentially created a scenario where they get additional 'playoff' games; game 7s nonetheless, from their standpoint, which is what really counts, if we're being honest. This will likely be viewed as a huge success by the MLB decision makers, I would imagine.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby J35J » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 am

Skin Blues wrote:An FYI for teams looking for a couple additional sneaky starts: if the Yanks/Orioles or Dodgers/Cardinals end up playing game 163 (which counts as regular season for fantasy teams) then these are the projected starting pitchers for Thursday:

Andy Pettitte
Steve Johnson
Kyle Lohse
Joe Blanton

Hmmm...I like the play in game...very exciting format, IMHO. Not only are they exciting games but these teams fighting to get into these last playoffs spots should be at a disadvantage. Puts more emphasis and desire on NOT being one of these wildcard teams, where before it was just as good to be a wild card team than to be a division winner.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 am

I honestly don't hate the format. I really like the fact that so much emphasis is now put on winning the division. The only downside to being a wildcard team in past years was missing out on homefield. Now division winners are rewarded and the wild card teams have to battle it out...and even if they win they've probably burned their best pitcher(s) so they're at a disadvantage for the division series (which is fine with me.)

If we had the previous format, the NL pennant races would have been locked up a month ago and there would have been a month of meaningless baseball. We're 2 games from the end and we still don't know who occupies that last spot. And in the AL, despite knowing all the playoff teams, we have 4/5 teams desperately trying to avoid the play-in game. It's exciting.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:02 pm

The Detroit Tigers have the 7th best record in the American League, and they're the only team guaranteed to make the playoffs with 2 games remaining in the season. Think about that. Do I really need to explain why this is so ludicrous?

We have a 162 game season which is essentially meaningless. OK, that's hyperbole, but it means a whole lot less than it used to. The Angels played every day for 6 months and wound up with a better record than the Tigers, yet they go home with nothing and the Tigers coast through to round 2 of the playoffs. And then there's the Orioles/Yankees/A's/Rangers. The four best teams in the league yet two of them will have to play at least one, if not two do-or-die coin flip games before the playoffs even begin! How does that make any sense? Why play for so long to have the fate of 4 of the 10 teams that make the playoffs flip a coin to see whether they actually get to play in the playoffs? Personally I have no interest in this, but I suppose they get increased advertising for a 163rd game and that makes up for it all. I'm also not one for March Madness though. The whole fake, contrived excitement deal just isn't my thing. If they want all these teams to have something to play for in September they should just go all the way and cut a month off the end of the season and have 8 teams in each league make the playoffs. The way it is now, it's not only watered down talent in the playoffs, but the best teams could easily get bumped before the playoffs even start.
Last edited by Skin Blues on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kab21 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:10 pm

I agree with hort, JJ and BB. Wild card should be at a disadvantage. it sounds like your complaint is against having divisions and this is actually a step in the right direction. The best teams (top 2 divisional winners) are now definitely rewarded with not only not only playing in the WC one or done but they also get home field advantage. I know that you're going to complain about the 2ND PLACE AL east team having to play in the WC but they should have taken care of their own business.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Yeah, the fact that they're trying to juggle these changes all while maintaining the division thing is making the problem much worse. Divisions worked well when there 2 of them. Then there were 4, it kinda worked. Now there are 6, and it doesn't work at all. Being the best within an arbitrary sub-group of 4/5 teams should not mean a free pass to the playoffs. The 7th place team is in the best position to make the playoffs with 2 games left in the season. Clearly, the mystique behind being a division winning team is ancient history.

At least in the NL 4 of the 5 best teams will be in the playoffs, which is the best case scenario.
Last edited by Skin Blues on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers